It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2006, 09:23 PM   #1
(female)

catstratchkitty HB User
Exclamation Follow up to "Just Something I Wanted to Share"

Hello... I wrote a post a few days ago titled "Just Something I Wanted to Share" and I recieved very mean responses to it. I was appalled at this and very hurt. We are all in the same boat (meaning being HIV+), and I don't really think discrimination is necessary. That was my first post, and if that is how I'm going to be treated I might as well not post here anymore seeing that that was anything BUT encouraging. I think someone even said that it wasn't a real story, and just something posted to get reactions and that is completely not true. That's my life, yeah and stupid and messed up as it seems. But guys right now I need help and I tried to get it from people who could relate to me but I guess I couldn't even do that. I just simply asked some questions about others who are HIV + and there outlooks on life. I just wanted to know how long you can live with it these days. I really don't even know what to say to your responses. I think I recieved one nice response and for that I am very grateful. Grateful that someone didn't judge me. If you're going to judge me, then I should be able to judge you to right? God I don't understand. This is insane, you guys really did not help my spirits. I wrote about having a positive outlook and you guys tried to knock me down. I think some of you need to read that and really take it to heart and start living YOUR life that way.

Thanks

Last edited by catstratchkitty; 03-10-2006 at 09:23 PM.

Old 03-11-2006, 10:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SPECTACULAR HB User
Re: Follow up to "Just Something I Wanted to Share"

I apologize to you...I didn't react well. Your story makes me sad and angry and I cannot lie to you about that. I don't understand why you did this.

But, that is not why you are here...and I know that.

I dont' have HIV - BUT, I can tell you that having faith in God gets me through every hurdle and tribulation I face in this life. I am nothing without Him. Even though I stumble and make mistakes (A LOT!) I know I am loved and forgivin and blessed. Therefore, my outlook is very bright.

Keep your head up.

Last edited by SPECTACULAR; 03-11-2006 at 10:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2006, 08:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

I did not reply to your first posting as it was closed, but did read it.
I have been a member of the health boards for a long while now, and I found this site because of my fear of being positive as I had become very ill with an infection after the birth of my son. This infection is typically seen in those with full blown AIDS. I was so sure that I was positive, but the kind people here helped me along and get through the testing process. I did test negative, but rather than move on I choose to stay around and help others in the same type of fear ridden situation as I was in. Over the last 2 1/2 years I have seen almost every type of story. There have been people from every side of the coin with different, yet similar situations. ie; one time thing, was drunk, it was an accident, was assulted, was wild in their younger days. And then there are those that are on the cusp of being locked away from the anxiety of HIV because of eating off of the same fork, wrestling, bathroom use, a massage that goes a little far, the dentist, a tatoo, piercings......it goes on and on. No one story is more or less important. Every person deserves to feel a little better if possible.

The point that I am trying to make is that your situation is very unique and let's just say shocking. You do have every right to be here and I really hope that you get the answers that you seek. And I am not speaking for anyone else, but please understand that after being there for hundreds of people with such a fear and such a sense of panic and hoplessness, counting the very moments before they can be tested, praying that they are negative, it is very hard to hit the ground running in conversation with a situation much like your own. There are some fantastic people here and I am sure that given health related issues, you will get some great advice. But it is no doubt a two way street. There is actually a very small amount of members that frequent this board that are HIV+, so you will have reactions from all sides.

I guess just like everyone and anyone, if you don't want that kind of attention, perhaps you may want to keep such close and personal information private. It is no ones business how anyone became + or how they may have been exposed. It is your private information. Keeping is basic will not affect the quality of advice that you may recieve with posting health related topis. I hope that doesn't sound poorly, you can't tell emotion through text, I really do not want you to think badly of the health boards as they are such a great place, and I don't want you to be put in a position of hurt feelings that could be avoided in the future should you continue to utilize the health boards. I just wanted to let you know that you are important and regardless of how you got in your situation, I hope you can find support.
Best of luck and health to you.
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2006, 05:02 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User

Dear Catscratch: Nyxin has been able to say what I wanted to say when I first responded to your initial posting and what I have been wrestling with since that time as well. This is an absolutely incredible place to come when you are wrestling with the problems of dealing with and adjusting to this disease. So, for those of us who are HIV+, we would wonder why you would knowingly enter into this territory. However, knowing the "why" may only lead us to make judgements and I don't want to go in that direction again. ANd, while I won't apologize for my reaction to you initial post, I will tell you that each time someone comes here, it brings us closer to understanding and communicating and that has to be important.

So, please, if there are questions we can answer; if there are issues that you see on the horizon; if thre is support you need, please, please, please bring them to this table so we can all help. chris

Last edited by last1; 03-13-2006 at 05:04 PM. Reason: wording

Old 03-20-2006, 11:03 AM   #5
(female)

Pebbles26 HB User

I haven't read your previous post so I'm a little in the dark but whatever the circumstances I would have thought that at this time you need support, understanding and love.

I hope you find a way to get through each day. Best of luck.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:15 PM   #6

Kraskwhoor HB User

I think it all came down to nobody in their right mind can fathom why on earth you would voluntarily subject yourself to this horrible disease. But that being said we are not here to judge you. You made a decision you felt comfortable with and to that I say all the power to you. I just hope you fully understand the repercussions of your decision.

Old 03-20-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

normorcrazy HB User

I have to respond to this.... When I read your other post it was already closed so I was unable to express my feelings. I think you first need to realize yes this is a place for support but everyone has different views and opinions on certain matters. This is mine.... though I will try not to sound harsh I still have to be honest.

I don't know if you have read anything about me but I am dating someone who now has full blown AIDS. I love this man very much and I refuse to turn my back on him. I will be there for him until the end! With that said....he also loves me with every piece of his heart and soul. He would never agree to me sleeping with him without protection even if I begged to. I have indeed considered it-as horrible as that sounds-because my love for him is so deep. I am thankful that I have someone who would never let me do something so foolish. I commend you for loving your man with all your heart but I think it was a bad decision on your part. It's true you can live a normal life and chances are something else will take your life before AIDS does but some people's immune systems aren't as strong as others. No one can tell you how long you can live with this virus. What's done is done and I think you are doing the right thing by asking questions, I just wish you would have asked these questions prior to making such a rash decision.

Now as I said... no one here will purposefully try to hurt your feelings or knock you down... we all express things differently. I hope I have not come across to harsh and if I did I do apologize.... just remember my OPINION is just 1 in a million!

Old 03-20-2006, 07:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SPECTACULAR HB User

I really hope you come back, catscratch.

Closed Thread