It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2006, 08:19 PM   #1
(male)

Majintopcat HB User
What are the rates of infection (sharing needles

So Ive read that a person might have a 1/500 chance of contracting hiv thru this and that. What I havent been able to find is the answer to...

Lets say I share a needle with a person who is HIV+, what are the chances, in percentages, that I will contract it as well?

I know the odds are higher than say a solid pin ***** due to the hollow needle etc, but what are the odds? .1%/1.0%/3.0%/10% ????

Thanx for answering

Last edited by Majintopcat; 05-29-2006 at 08:20 PM.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

chadster1041 HB User
Re: What are the rates of infection (sharing needles

Not to scare you and hopefully your not sharing needles? But, if you are, there is a very high rate of contracting HIV. It is one of the top things the CDC warns against along side of unprotected sex.I would take that as that activity being a very high risk. Please get tested if you have engaged in this activity. It's for your own good to do so and will also clear your mind of any doubts. Reading on this site,there is a huge support group here,so, there are a lot of folks to talk to who have a ton of more info on your question than me.I think I am pretty correct though in discouraging sharing needles... C-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2006, 05:39 PM   #3

Kraskwhoor HB User

I did look into rates of infection at one point when I had my scare. They say (and I quote say because they do not know for sure) that when two people share needles and one of them is infected with HIV the other person has an 80-90% chance of becoming infected. This is because the virus is directly injected into the blood stream. In all the other ways of transmission the virus may not be able to come in contact with the bloodstream. Hence why infection sometimes does not occur. I sure hope you are not sharing needles with others but if you are I would strongly suggest you get tested asap.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:22 AM   #4
(female)

shai`anne HB User

It is a very high rate because it is going directly from one vein to the other. If your going to participate in this activity please get a clean needle or there are ways you can steralize between people with OTC products.

Closed Thread