It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
(male)

robbie1234 HB User
HIV - Menstrual Blood - Armpit Glands - Neck Pain - HELP!!

Hi - basically my story, was in Thailand and had sex (wearing a condom) with a working girl. Halfway through the condom broke, i withdrew basically after 5 seconds after this, however to my shock i noticed a significant amount of menstrual blood was present.... I felt sick on sight, when i withdrew there was blood on my penis, but thankfully the head area of the penis appeared clean even though it defintly had been exposed while inside her after the condom broke. I immediatly went after that and washed my self....

Now i know the only way to be sure is to be tested, but just to prepare myself i had a few questions as there is a high likely the girl i was with had HIV.

First

What increased risk does menstrual blood pose? Does it make it certain to contract or only slightly increase the risk?? is there any knowledge of this?

About 5 days after this I came down with very sore throat, night fever, aching muscles - went to doctor and was advised strep throat, though not very thorough examination...... I took medicene and fever stopped but sore throat continued for about 2 weeks though only slightly sore....... Now is 5 days to soon to be a sign of ARS????

about 3 weeks after this, i started suffering severe neck pain, couldnt even turn my neck without pain, this lasted a few days then went away - is this any sign of ARS???

Now exactly one month after possible exposure, I woke up and my arm pits felt very fatty and weird, kind of a swollen feeling - now i have looked for bumps and lumps in the armpit - but couldnt find any, but 100% my armpits feel swollen and like a fatty feeling, when i wake up there is like a slight pain in the armpit...could this be any indication of ARS - and how can u check for lymp noodes by touch?? I also seem to have pain in the area of groin where lymph noodes are found also.......

I know can only find out by testing, but that will be very stressful, so i kind of want to prepare myself - if anyone can help with answers to my questions i will really appreciate it!!!

THANKS

WORRIED

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2006, 04:08 AM   #2
(female)

luciangirl HB User
Re: HIV - Menstrual Blood - Armpit Glands - Neck Pain - HELP!!

You do need to get checked out by your Local STD clinic, self assesments are not always good becouse our eyes see what we want them to.. YES getting tested is stressful but you will have the correct diagnosis at the end.

You will not have to look for glands if they are raised, they will just been there, under your arms in your neck, groin, legs all over (this is my experiance..) & if you do get ill, you will also know about that, not being able to keep food down, being sick, really bad flu like symptoms hardly being able to move becouse your body aches my partners lasted about three weeks, then got the glands and they where raised for mths.

You sound as if your paranoia is searching for signs.. please get tested you'll sleep alot easier after.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:25 AM   #3
(male)

whookidd HB User

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your situation. Menstrual blood does pose a higher chance of Getting Hiv. Reason why it does is because it is blood and HIV is mainly in the blood. To help calm you down a little if possible, if she was a Bar Girl then she has to do a routine checkup for HIV and many other diseases. In Pattaya, Thailand if she has a disease she will be kicked out of the Bar then she will work the streets. So if she was in a bar then that is a lot more relief, If she doesnt work at a bar then you should be concerned. I cannot say anything about your signs I really dont have that much knowledge of Signs. But it could be stress and Anxiety makes it look more worst than it actually is. Dont look online for signs because when it comes down to it that can mean nothing. Please get a checkup and see what happens.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:27 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

chadster1041 HB User

Hopefully, you've chose to get the test outta the way,but, I wanted to clarify somethings...I think you are asking about HIV-related symptoms and not ARS, the two are seperate? You need to be diagnoised with AIDS if having ARS. Lymph Nodes from my experience have been painful and not swollen for the most part. So, you can't really judge by the feel, some people I guess could I don't know. If swollen and you are HIV Pos it is called Generlaized Lymphonadeopthy. You haven't even tested yet, so, cool your mind. Second doesn't matter if it was 5 seconds or 1 hour you can get HIV from both if blood was involved. Third please get tested to ease your mind. Psycholgically you can induce symptoms from Anxiety and stress. The mind is a powerful weapon and can make the smallest things seem enormous if you let them. I from reading your post think you'll be fine, just breath alright. Once again, if you ponder on the HIV symptom sites your asking for trouble. I've been there

Old 07-15-2006, 04:23 AM   #5
(male)

robbie1234 HB User

Hi - Thanks for the replies!!

First, I thought that ARS occured in the immediate time period after the original contraction of HIV as the body tries to fight off new viruses. Thats why I was mentioning my symptoms during this time - where do swollen glands come in to it? This did not occur until 4 weeks after the transmission, but they have stayed swollen for about 8 weeks now... And do most people who go through ARS get really sick like lucian girl described???

Secondly, does anyone know how u can defintly tell whether or not ur glands are swollen? My armpits feel bigger and fatty, but i can not find any lumps inside them?

Thirdly, I was pretty sure that blood being involved increased the risk, but did anyone have any idea as to how much it increases the risk?? And menstrual blood i particular as i seem to remember that menstrual blood is not the same quality as pure blood

I know the only way to find out is via a test but i want to try and get an idea of how likely i have caught HIV... I Broke up with my GF and am not having sex with any one as I do not want to cause harm to anyone else, untill i get the courage to get at test...

IM DOOMED..........

Old 07-15-2006, 05:51 AM   #6
(male)

whookidd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie1234
Hi - Thanks for the replies!!

First, I thought that ARS occured in the immediate time period after the original contraction of HIV as the body tries to fight off new viruses. Thats why I was mentioning my symptoms during this time - where do swollen glands come in to it? This did not occur until 4 weeks after the transmission, but they have stayed swollen for about 8 weeks now... And do most people who go through ARS get really sick like lucian girl described???

Secondly, does anyone know how u can defintly tell whether or not ur glands are swollen? My armpits feel bigger and fatty, but i can not find any lumps inside them?

Thirdly, I was pretty sure that blood being involved increased the risk, but did anyone have any idea as to how much it increases the risk?? And menstrual blood i particular as i seem to remember that menstrual blood is not the same quality as pure blood

I know the only way to find out is via a test but i want to try and get an idea of how likely i have caught HIV... I Broke up with my GF and am not having sex with any one as I do not want to cause harm to anyone else, untill i get the courage to get at test...

IM DOOMED..........
Are you sure it was menstrual blood?? Well to be exact about how higher the risk is, it is almost a 99% chance to get it if there is blood and it made contact with a opening on you. It doesnt matter if it was menstrual blood or regular blood. Now if she wasnt bleeding then your chances would be almost impossible to get it from what you explained happened. Dont say you are DOOMED you still have a likely chance she wasnt HIV POSITIVE. Did she work in a Bar?

The Following User Says Thank You to whookidd For This Useful Post:
robmac2011 (02-23-2012)
Old 07-15-2006, 06:04 AM   #7
(male)

gary1980 HB User

Robbie i have been to thailand a few times and once a condom broke on me. I started to get worried and suffered from many things you are. It turned out to be a false alarm and one i was tested and received a negative result its supprising how quickly you feel better again. I had neck and body pains,fever, loss of appitite,swallen glands etc etc and convinced myslf i had it. Truth is, just because the girl is from thailand doesnt mean she has hiv. The rate over there is not as bad and people say, i have been to the clinic over there with several girls and they have all been negative. Most thai girls are clean and careful, the higher rates tend to be out in the country where they pick it up from thai men.

Get checked out and put you mind at rest....

all the best

Gary

Old 07-15-2006, 06:09 AM   #8
(male)

Scareforce HB User

Robbie...

You and I are in a VERY similar situation...two guys asking for trouble.

On July 6th, I was backpacking through Thailand, went out and got drunk, and left with 2 bar girls from a bar in Pattaya. I didn't have condoms on me as I didn't plan on doing this...but they assured me they had their own. Big mistake!

We went to their ST hotel, had a shag, and noticed the condom had ripped to shreds. We stopped, put on another, started with the other girl and again...it ripped to shreds. Two exposures. How do you break 2 condoms? Anyway...we stopped and that was that.

The next day, I went to one of those small clinics because I felt I might have had an STD from a month ago and never got it checked. The test confirmed I had gonarreha (sp) and was given anti-biotics.

Here's the really scary thing....three days after exposure, I started getting major signs of infection. Mainly the lymph nodes in my neck became extremely sore but not very swollen. I've never felt pain like this in my neck. I've had it for 7 days now. I've also had flu-like symptoms such as fever, chills, sore throat, dry throat, fatigue....but no rash and no problems with lymph nodes elsewhere.

A few days ago, I checked the net to investigate (checking dengue fever mainly) and was shocked to see these same symptoms fitting under HIV infection.

I visited two doctors in Hua Hin. Both gave half-*** examinations (seems to be the norm in Thailand), said I had 'acute pharyngitis' and again...gave me anti-biotics.

I told them my situation, asked if it could be sexually related and they both just sort of laughed it off. I was shocked.

Any advice on this? I think my symptoms - within 2 weeks of exposure - are pretty legit.

Robbie...are you in Bangkok? Maybe we should meet up for a beer and worry together.

Last edited by Scareforce; 07-15-2006 at 06:24 AM.

Old 07-15-2006, 06:12 AM   #9
(male)

Scareforce HB User

Nice post, Gary. Thanks.

Can I ask...did you have an STD during these exposures? I've seen STD's greatly increase the risk factor.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:54 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

You guys are nuts. Having sex with sex workers in thailand (or any other country) you are asking for trouble. See you already got ghonnoreah. I hope you all have learned your lesson from all this worry! I sincerely hope none of you are hiv positive. Just please start living a cleaner lifestyle.

The Following User Says Thank You to besafe20 For This Useful Post:
robmac2011 (02-23-2012)
Old 07-15-2006, 08:34 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Worried1977 HB User

I just cannot get over the fact that women are like this!!

I could NEVER pick up a guy from a bar without even knowing him let alone take along a friend and sleep with him. Obviously they have done this before and with how many WHO KNOWS! Some people have no shame.

And i understand how you may feel right now and i really hope everything is ok with you. And the sad part is you guys probably never even knew each others names so if any of them did have something later down the line you would never be contacted to find out so i hope you get TESTED when your window period is over and please use caution before engaging in any sexual contact with anyone.

Good luck to you and keep us posted

Old 07-15-2006, 10:00 PM   #12
(male)

robbie1234 HB User

Thanks for the replies - well I booked an appointment for friday to get tested - bit more putting off the test but at least I will find out soon.

From what I have read, its very difficult for HIV to go from a female to a male during sex from just the female sexual fluids, obviously it does happen but unlikely....so scareforce i think you should just be fine - yes i think condoms in asia are obviously not as good as ones in the west, as my problem came from using a condom they provided also and as i said it broke...

In this case why i worry so much is that there was menstrual blood - and there defintly WAS menstrual blood - now is it true that if menstrual blood for example came into contact with the top of the penis near the "eye", that it is 99% sure that HIV would be transmitted??? Assuming of course the girl did have HIV??? GOD that sounds a very high rate, considering HIV is meant to be a hard virus to catch???

Does anyone know if there are any studies or any scientific information on menstrual blood and HIV???

Well i will find out this friday anyway........

P.S: NO back home now not in Thailand any more

Old 07-16-2006, 12:56 AM   #13
(male)

Scareforce HB User

Besafe...

You hit the nail on the head.

Look at it this way...

If I have HIV, I'll never be sleeping with anyone ever again.

If I don't have HIV, I won't be doing the P4P thing ever again (or drinking around go-go bars).

Lesson learned.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:49 AM   #14
(male)

whookidd HB User

Hi,

I dont know if there was ever any research done on menstrual blood. But blood is blood. It hard for a man to catch Hiv from a woman if there is no blood. But in your case there was blood. Goodluck and I wish you the best. Next time becareful please.

Old 07-16-2006, 06:54 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Worried1977 HB User

Ahh Scareforce

When are you being tested?

Whatever the outcome you can still have sex. Which ever way the test results turn out you can still have sex. you just need to be super careful even if your negative be super careful from now on. Im sorry you guys got mixed up in these situations.

Take care

Closed Thread