It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006, 02:47 PM   #1
(male)

whookidd HB User
Dry blood

Hi,

I have a deep concern, I know I shouldnt be worried but I am I cant help it. Well I went to get some blood drawn, well the needle was brand new and the tube was brand new. But the bottle that connects the needle and tube together had dry blood on it. well he took my blood and I asked him how safe is that bottle you used?? can it give me something?? He showed me that was impossible because at that other end of the needle there is a rubber end and can only be open by someone pulling down on it or it going into the tube. so he assured me it was ok. But now I am starting to worry. I dont know how old the dry blood is but it is pretty old. the dry blood was inside the tube. What is my chance of getting HIV from this??

Old 08-31-2006, 04:50 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User
Re: Dry blood

WHen you have blood 'drawn" that's exactly what happens; blood from your body enters the recepticle (ie: the glass vial) and does not re-enter your body. Therefore, you cannot get HIV from whatever you saw in the glass tube. I do wonder a couple of things, however. First, how do you know the substance was on the inside of the vial and not on the outside? Secondly, how do you know it was blood? Could it have been blood on the outside of the vial that, somehow, touched a blood smear that was on the work-table?

If you really think it was blood, inside the vial, then I would request another blood test. Not because you caught HIV or anything from what you say was blood on the inside of the vial but, because, if there was blood on the inside of the vial, then the specimen was tainted and you may get a different result. chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2006, 05:18 AM   #3
(male)

whookidd HB User

Hi,

Well I look directly at it and saw that it was inside. I knew it was blood because it look like blood and it was so 2 splashes that look like it came from a needle. I would get a another blood test but I know that it didnt get in contact with my love. I am just freak out a lot about this Diseases I cant help it. I am even afraid to have sex with women again and I am afraid of a long term relationship. the bottle didnt even get my blood on it. the needle is protected until it gets inside the tube. Thank you for your message I really appreciate. You are always right with this. I have to do something about this OCD.

Old 09-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #4
(female)

nyo22 HB User

Since you say the blood was dry it is unlikely that you contract HIV from that. The virus can only survive outside the body for 1-3 days but 90-99% of the virus is deactivated within a couple of hours but remember that the samples used for studies have 100,000 times the concentration of the virus compared to the small amount if any that might have been in the dry blood you saw. Plus the dry blood was not on your skin or the needle that was used so if anything your sample may be tainted but you are safe.
Take care.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:33 AM   #5
(male)

whookidd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyo22
Since you say the blood was dry it is unlikely that you contract HIV from that. The virus can only survive outside the body for 1-3 days but 90-99% of the virus is deactivated within a couple of hours but remember that the samples used for studies have 100,000 times the concentration of the virus compared to the small amount if any that might have been in the dry blood you saw. Plus the dry blood was not on your skin or the needle that was used so if anything your sample may be tainted but you are safe.
Take care.
Hi,

Thanks for your help. Yes you are right I am know I am safe now that I was told by you all. I have OCD so I freak out. I have been through some stuff and everything makes me freak out. I made a girl cry because the condom broke during intercourse but I pulled out less then 10 secs, I freaked out and I thought she might have a STD or HIV. Well after about 2 days she started crying because she claimed she was clean every hour on the hour because I bugged her a lot about it and I wasnt smiling or doing anything like I once was. I am thinking of just practing safe seld until I can get this fear out of my head. HAHAHA, I need medical help I am going crazy over this.

Closed Thread