It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
(female)

JustMe83 HB User
what does acute test mean ?

my b/f passed out at a party then 2 weeks later ended up with the herpes virus say it was possible rape i guess because he swears he has no recollection of anything happening.still trying to let it sink in ..anyways he says he was HIV tested with an acute test and it was negative ,now i am pretty sure that it takes up to 6 months to show up on a blood test .but he swears i am crazy and that they gave him some special test that i guess would show if he was exposed ????????? i dont know can anyone tell me if thats true or do u have to wait 6 months ?

Old 09-18-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
(male)

chris_eco HB User
Re: what does acute test mean ?

I haven't heard the term "acute test" before. I assume this might be the PCR test. If so, how long after possible exposure was he tested? I believe it needs at least 28 days to be accurate, but that test is not approved for diagnosing whether or not one has contracted HIV. It can be a good indicator, but an antibody test is still needed once three months has passed, and then six months if he wants.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2006, 05:42 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Ronnie99 HB User

The term "acute" related to HIV infection usually involves the term "Acute retroviral syndrome" or "ARS". ARS describes the flu-like illness that many people exposed to HIV experience from two weeks to a month after exposure.

The term "acute" is not used in relation to HIV testing as far as I know. As noted in the other response, he may have had a PCR test which detects the virus at the DNA or RNA level depending on which PCR test was used. There is also a test called an antigen test which will detect the virus before an antibody test. Either way try to find out specifically what test he had and post again.

Regards,

Ronnie

Old 09-20-2006, 10:08 AM   #4
(female)

JustMe83 HB User

well thank you for ur input , i asked him and he just got upset and said that he couldnt handle it if he had it and his answer is to never get tested...guess thinks its better to not know...i'll have to just bug him about it when january comes and try very hard not to have any sex with him...but i already have twice which was dumb cause his story doesnt add up

Old 09-20-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

chadster1041 HB User

So if you are in doubt why are you having sex with him which I hope was protected if you are in doubt????Are you trying to build on your Anxiety???I agree with Ronnie, never heard of an Acute Test?? You should confirm both parties status before moving on.

Last edited by chadster1041; 09-20-2006 at 11:11 AM.

Closed Thread