It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
(female)

seetink3 HB User
Doctor confused me!!!!!

My ob gyn has me all confused. I had unprotected sex back in June 3rd. A month later(july)I was tested for STDs. I tested positive for genital Herpes and Clamydia. The HIV was negative. I tested again for HIV about 2 months(Aug.) after the encounter and then again 3 months(September) after the encounter. My ob gym said I should test again in March!!!!!!!!! Do I have to wait that long???? Im already stressed out enough!! She said it has to be 6 months later. But isnt it at 6 months after possible exposure? Or is she right...... saying its 6 months after the 3rd month test??? I need to know ASAP so I can go on with my life! Any answers??? ......THANKS!

Last edited by seetink3; 10-08-2006 at 11:01 AM.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:29 AM   #2
(female)

Bubba_Ho_Tep HB User
Re: Doctor confused me!!!!!

Okay, here's the deal.

You have to be tested at 13 weeks after the encounter, and the result you recieve has something like a 97% chance of being correct (I may not be right about the exact percentage, but it's very high) So if you tested negative, be happy! It's certainly encouraging.

However, in some rare cases, a person can go for 6 months without having the antibodies for HIV in their system (which is what they test for when you have your bloodwork done)

So, just to eliminate any possibility of you having it, some doctors will ask you to get retested at 6 months.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's very unlikely that your 13 week test was incorrect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2006, 04:14 AM   #3
(male)

i_messed_up HB User
Re: Doctor confused me!!!!!

Seetink,

I am in the same boat as you. I contracted NGU and herpes from an exposure. On my week 12 test, I came +ivefor HSV-2. I assume all knowledgable experts consider 12-13 weeks standard antibody tests conclusive. Let me know when u had ur herpes test done and which one and what was the reading on that test...

Take care....

Closed Thread