It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
(male)

just_jake HB User
indeterminate hiv and elevated ANA

hello all, i have recently been diagnosed with HBV, (absolutely by accident). My gastroenterologist keeps running batteries of tests, the last of which have included ANA levels and HIV screening. my ANA's are elevated and the HIV was indeterminate. I am almost at my wit's end. my reading leads me to believe that the elevated ANA could cause the indeterminate HIV reading. Does anyone know if this is so. We suspect that the HBV resulted from a cut from a straight razor at a barber shop. the doc advised you could also get HIV this way. As far as I know, i don't have HIV. Just please help.

Respectfully

ps. ok, looking at the results of the testing which i have just attained, it appears that the dr/lab did not do an ELISA, only a Western Blot. This seems out of line from everything that i have read. Any thoughts?

Last edited by just_jake; 03-02-2007 at 01:04 PM. Reason: add more info

Old 03-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
(female)

hlowrie HB User
Re: indeterminate hiv and elevated ANA

I would like to start off by saying I am sorry that you have contracted HBV. That in itself is hard to deal with let alone an indeterminate HIV test. I would like to tell you that although an indeterminate test could mean you have the virus, it is very likely you do not with the elevated ANA alone. I recently had a false positive ELISA test and had to wait 6 days to get a Western Blot done to find out I was indeed negative. And I had been exposed to someone that had HIV for a fact. My exposure was blood on my hands at my job. Anyway I had a baby and they did a standard test, which I must mention I had already been tested at 3 weeks and 5 months post exposure both negative. Once I got that false positive I freaked out since I knew I had been exposed for certain. Anyway I did alot of research and the elevated ANA was definitely one cause for a false positive ELISA which could also mean you have LUPUS, which goes along with an elevated ANA. Having the HBV virus itself could cause it, the flu shot, I get cold sores and I assume I have herpes simplex one, that causes them. At the time I had the test I had one. As well as pregnancy itself which can also cause the false positive. I know this is alot of info. But the ELISA test is very sensitive and it does not test just for HIV antibodies, it basically test for any viral antibodies I believe. That is why a confirmatory Western Blot is always done before a diagnosis of HIV is confirmed. This test specifically test for the HIV virus. Anyway I hope this helps. I truly would not worry too much, although easier said than done. Good luck my friend. HTH. I just reread the bottom of your post and saw that the test was A WB. You still can get a false positive on those as well. They look at the binding of proteins when they perform the test, if even one protein binds, then they say it is indeterminate so not all tests are fool proof. I would have a repeat test done for sure. I think the reason they don't always do the WB is because it is more expensive, that is why the ELISA is done first. So I really don't know why they didn't do that, but I might question it just to sure things were done correctly. This is your life they are messing with. Good luck again.

Last edited by hlowrie; 03-03-2007 at 04:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
(male)

just_jake HB User
Re: indeterminate hiv and elevated ANA

thanks for your reply, they did not do an ELISA which at the moment makes me mad as you know what. after acquring the records, i discovered that nothing on the WB had tested positive, one protein had simply been unreadable and therefore neither positive nor negative. i too am prone to cold sores and am interested in knowing that that could cause an elevated ANA. sometimes i wonder what these dr's are thinking. anyway, thanks again

Closed Thread