It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
(male)

nec1973 HB User
HIV test is negative now - chances of positive in 3 months?

about 6 weeks ago i had sex with a sex worker. the condom broke there was probably about 5 minutes of unprotected vaginal sex. i had no signs or symptoms. i took an hiv test about 8 days ago and it was negative. 2 days after the negative test my throat started to hurt. but it only hurts when i dry swollow not when i am eating or drinking. and it also feels like i pulled a muscle in the front of my neck near my collar bone.

i was relieved about the test result. but the constant badgering of the counslers now has me scared again. what is the likelyhood that my negative test at 5 weeks will turn to positive at 3 months.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User
Re: HIV test is negative now - chances of positive in 3 months?

earlier results are very good indicators of your results at 3 months
plus you don't even know if your partner was positive to begin with
odds are you will be ok

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
(male)

nec1973 HB User

When you say a negative test now is a pretty good indicator of future tests results. what does that really mean. what other kinda of indicators are there for testing. you have negative positive and incliclusive. if its positive. then you know but is it is inclicusive is that a sign that a positive test result is forthcoming?

June 1, is about the 2 month mark i am thinking about taking another test. if this one is negative does that mean i am pretty good?

also if i think i am having sign and symptons (or if i am) is that when a positive test will come back or can it still be negative and at the 3 months mark be positive?

Old 05-26-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nec1973 View Post
When you say a negative test now is a pretty good indicator of future tests results. what does that really mean. what other kinda of indicators are there for testing. you have negative positive and incliclusive. if its positive. then you know but is it is inclicusive is that a sign that a positive test result is forthcoming?

not nessecarly, its means that there wasn't enough to call it positive so they would want a retest to make sure before making a call.some of the newer strains lurk around a bit before they can be detected and thats why they want you to wait the 3 months because by then they will surface to be found.

June 1, is about the 2 month mark i am thinking about taking another test. if this one is negative does that mean i am pretty good?

yes it does

also if i think i am having sign and symptons (or if i am) is that when a positive test will come back or can it still be negative and at the 3 months mark be positive?

if hiv is causing you symptoms, there will be enough of it to find in a test.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
(male)

nec1973 HB User

Took my 8 week HIV-1 test and is negative! I am scared to hear the results but now i am glad i took the test. i was pretty darn worried. i think to the point that i imagined symptoms.

I guess i am pretty safe now right? of course i will be taking one last one at the end of june.

But what are the actual chances that my 3 month test will be positive?

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

But what are the actual chances that my 3 month test will be positive?

slim to none

Closed Thread