It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
(female)

darlingnikki HB User
Arrow being poked by a needle

here's the story:

I was in cosmetology school, and I took over sewing extensions for another student who had to leave...and if you know anything about hair/sewing extensions is that you use a curved needle to sew in the tracks to the braided hair. Well, I poked myself pretty hard in the finger, but as far as I remember I didn't bleed or anything. But my finger was really sore and numb for a week. This was May 8th this happened. I waited till May 11th to go to the doctor (nurse practitioner, actually) and told her what happened. My worry was that the girl before me who was using the needle poked herself with it, then I poked myself....I was afraid of getting something. She told me to come back in 10 days to get a blood test for HIV and Hep. C. Even though I said I thought you had to wait 3 months, she said after 10 days there is usually a base line...which I guess meant even though its still early, that can still see if you caught anything.

After 2 weeks of trying to get my results, when it should of only took about a week....but due to some problems with the machines or whatever....I got my tests back and everything was negative. I got my Hep. C back after the first week and that was fine. They said if that test came back ok, so would the HIV one because everything effects your white cell count...and if thats fine, I'm fine.

But now I'm sick. Like stuffy nose/a little sore throat/green stuff coming up sick. I don't have any swollen lymph nodes, pain or anything...but I think thats because I kissed some boy last week and he gave me the cooties =p

Anyways, I gotta go get tested again next month (August). Which would be 3 months. Should I be worried?

Also, I asked the girl who the needle belonged to and asked her if I should have anything to be worried about and she basically told me no. I trust her and all, but I'm still a little freaked out.

Sorry this was so long.

Edit: Oh yeah, she said I was low-risk. The needle being not hallowed and no blood sighted on it. I guess she called disease and infectious control and talked to them about starting me on the pep program, but wasn't needed since they thought I was low risk.

Last edited by darlingnikki; 07-11-2007 at 02:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
(male)

bob7897 HB User
Re: being poked by a needle

Infection from needles is pretty much always from hypodermic ones, from what I understand.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

i wouldn't be worried at all,hiv will die outside the body unless its in a controlled envirorment, so even if something was on that needle it would of died well before you got *****ed with it. you really have nothing to worry about and testing isn't needed. good luck

Old 07-11-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
(female)

darlingnikki HB User

thats probably true. I always thought the virus would die AS SOON as it hits the air, but come to find out it can live ten minutes outside the body where Hep. C virus can live up to an hour outside the body. Now, I don't know if this is 100% true, but this is what the nurse told me.

I got tested just to make sure. I worry too much about my health.

Thanks though!

Closed Thread