It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 04:37 AM   #1
(female)

lili101 HB User
Oral Risk and Timeframe for Testing

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the boards. First of all, thanks to all of you who are here giving support and helping each other. I have a couple of questions about an encounter I recently had and am of course feeling scared/guilty/embarrassed etc. To anyone with advice, knowledge,or who has shared a similar experience, any insight would be so much appreciated!

OK so 8 days ago, I performed unprotected oral sex on a man of unknown status, there was ejaculation but I spat (sorry for being crude). No known cuts in my mouth, no visible blood, etc. Basically a one-night stand after too much drinking, feeling really guilty now which is of course adding to my worry. I do not know him well but know he definitely has multiple partners (female) and dont know how well he protects himself...

3 days ago (6 days after the incident), I get sick: slight sore throat, notice 2 small "cold sore type" white spots on back of my throat, glands in neck a little sore but not really swollen, no fever (except for a couple hours on the 2nd day, less than 100), no rash, etc...Was sick only the past 2 days, so 48 hours, pretty mildly, today i am practically fine. of course, start freaking out, thinking ARS...

1)am i right to assume that it is still considered low risk to transmit hiv in this kind of an encouter?

2)as far as my sickness, i know you cannot diagnose HIV this way, but am i correct in assuming that what i had sounds more like a cold, that ARS would last longer than 48 hours usually? please if anyone here who is + could share what they went through if they did experience symptoms of ARS, would really appreciate?

3)finally, im so stressed because i just want to get tested as soon as possible for peace of mind, but since my incident was so recent, i was told by a helpline i need to wait 3 months for a reliable result. What test was she refering to? Is there any way to get tested sooner with a different test? Finally, I understand that a standard test if 100% reliable at 3 month, but would you suggest i get a standard test before anyway, to give me a good indication?? if someone has statistics on when tests start to be even a little reliable, please please share!!! (say at 3 weeks, would i get an indication for some reassurance, and then i could retest at 3 months?)

4)finally, if i went to the doctor today, is there any testing he could do to determine what my sickness was? say, could i ask him to test for strep throat, anything else? would this then rule out my "cold" could not have been ARS?

Sorry this was so long, thanks to anyone with the patience and kindness to read and reply! Be well and have a good day!!!

Last edited by lili101; 03-25-2008 at 04:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
(female)

stressed56 HB User
Re: Oral Risk and Timeframe for Testing

many people say that oral sex has low risks, im not very sure if i believe this. if anything its a lowER risk. Those symptoms you have are a little worrysome. Many people after contracting the virus get symptoms such as yours or flu like symptoms days after to 3 months after. The problem with HIV is that the symptoms are so common that everyone in the world might think they have it. Talk to your doctor. I recently took an HIV test and it was the scariest time of my life. Its a hard process to go though. But please talk to your doctor as soon as possible. To get an accurate hiv result you have to wait at least 3 months, but there are ways doctors can figure it out a lot sooner so make an appointment this week.

Believe me it'll be the worst week of your life, but if it comes back negative you'll feel so relieved and at least you'll know that in the future just because oral is a lower risk doesnt mean its not a risk. GOOD LUCK

Old 03-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

insightideas HB User

Don't worry abotu symptoms becasue I had all the symptoms in the book. There is none that i can say i didnt have. I waited three month and i am negative.
Only 5 percent of all cases are said to be from oral.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
(female)

lili101 HB User

Hi, thank you both for your responses!

-insightideas: i know what you mean about symptoms, your mind really plays tricks on you!!
-stressed56: yes i agree, oral is lower risk, not no risk. why do you say my symptoms are worrisome?? i was reassuring myself thinking that my symptoms (sore throat, small white spots in throat) sounded more like a common throat infection, especially since i didnt have any of the more common ARS symptoms (fever, rash etc)..and esp since they lasted only 2 days...

anyway, i went to the doctor today. he told me that what i had was almost for sure a common throat infection (tonsilitis/pharangytis). He did strep test which was neg, so he said its just a viral thing probably. When i asked him about HIV, the doc said in his opinion that 5 days after a risk was too soon to develop ARS and he said the risk from oral sex is so minimal anyway that i should not worry. also, he said since all that is really bothering me is my throat, that it points to a simple throat infection. He said if i wanted to get tested for HIV for peace of mind, that i should do it after 3 months.

this made me feel somewhat better but also i am wondering if this doc is not being careful enough...anyone have their doc tell them something similar? anyone care to share their experiences with doctors when bringing up the possibility of HIV/ars symptpoms? i just felt like this doc was thinking i was a little nuts lol (but not in a bad way, he was attentive and answered my questions etc....)...

Last edited by lili101; 03-27-2008 at 10:00 AM.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
(female)

stressed56 HB User

I have heard many cases were the next day symptoms like a fever and such have been found after the hiv virus had been left in the body. i am in no way shape or form saying that your symtoms are hiv.. the fact is that many people dont have symptoms at all and others do. You do have a throat infection but just because a doctor says thats what it is doesnt mean you should forget about it. When i had my hiv scare i had one doctor tell me that i was competely fine and had nothing to worry about ( to be honest i dont like doctors who tell their patients NOT to get tested... you never know!) and another doctor told me it might be a smart idea. I had three yeast infections in 5 months and it WAS a yeast infection, but there is always an underlining reason for an infection. Thankfully my reason was not hiv.

When symptoms accure in an hiv positive patient what makes things harder is that the symptoms are so common that they get over looked. I know of people who had a lymph node infection a short time after their "experience" and after meds it went away.. problem was that the infection started because the hiv virus was in the body, but because it was treated and went away they never gave it a second thought.

Like i said, im not saying your in danger, but there is a change. all i am saying is just because your doctor says one thing doesnt mean everything is ok. fact is he cant tell you want you want to know by just looking at you, he needs your blood. Just the fact that you question your experience is a good enough reason to get tested! Good luck, im sure it will turn out negative... but please for the future.. think of the end result before you do ANYTHING sexual

Old 03-27-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
(male)

pearl1729 HB User

that's a good thing lili. be happy, try not to worry. if u really r worried then
visit another doctor and see what he says. and get your test done after 3
months. i do feel oral sex has very low risk though i don't know in detail and
symptoms, but next time be careful.

now don't think about it, if u observe any more symptom then consult a
doctor. wish u good luck

ciao

Closed Thread