It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
(male)

Blitzjade HB User
HIV oral sex risk

After doing some research online, I have found a large amount of conflicting reports on the risk of HIV via performing oral sex. A number of studies (UCSF and the Spanish Couple Study) indicate that there is no/minimal risk to performing oral sex. However, other websites suggest that there is a reasonable risk that is accompanied by unprotected oral sex.

I ask because last month I had unprotected oral sex with an individual who claimed to have recently tested HIV-. He did not ejaculate in my mouth and the episode did not last very long. I know that I should get tested (and I will), but I am curious on the risk.

Any insight on the risk of performing oral sex would be great!

Old 07-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
(male)

varri24 HB User
Re: HIV oral sex risk

I'v been informed that saliva has a very small amount the hiv virus, but some chemical kills the virus....unless cuts or scrapes were in the mouth the risk is very low to none.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

all i will say is any risk at all is taking a chance.
hiv can be a mistake you can never fix.
i trusted someone and took a risk and lost.
i was told my risk wasn't great,and the odds were low,but since i lost
does it even matter what the chances were?
nope not at all.
don't take chances with your health that you can't fix.
all you need to be is that one in a thousand or whatever number you read.
use protection at all times unless you and your partner know thier status by testing only...
my insight might not be the best, but it's the safest for sure...

Old 07-22-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
(male)

Blitzjade HB User

Heres a brief update... I figured I would add to the wealth of information and experiences on this forum =)

I recently started suffering from a number of symptoms that have made me concerned about possible HIV infection. 4 weeks ago I engaged in unprotected oral sex with a man. No ejaculation occurred and he told me that he had tested HIV- in the past several months. I also know that this individual is very safe (with the exception of unprotected oral sex). I have been having severe headaches, stiff neck, muscle aches and pains, fatigue, disorientation, and swollen lymph nodes on my neck. Since visiting my doctor, I have been told I could be suffering from West Nile, St. Louis Encephalitis, Mono, HIV, and another virus that I cannot seem to remember the name of.

I had a CBC done on Friday and everything came back completely normal. My doctor claimed that the results were "very good". I went in today and had more blood drawn. He is doing another CBC and testing for mono, the virus whose name I cannot remember, and HIV (PCR test). He doesn't think I have HIV but thinks it is a good test to do, just incase. I find out the results on Friday.

Needless to say, I am anxious. My doctor said that since my CBC came back completely normal with my white blood cells unaffected, it is unlikely that I have HIV. I will be sure to update this with my results on Friday.

Any words of encouragement are appreciated. Thanks guys.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
(male)

Blitzjade HB User

HIV negative 5 weeks post exposure with PCR test.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kilgore52 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiteler View Post
all i will say is any risk at all is taking a chance.
hiv can be a mistake you can never fix.
i trusted someone and took a risk and lost.
i was told my risk wasn't great,and the odds were low,but since i lost
does it even matter what the chances were?
nope not at all.
don't take chances with your health that you can't fix.
all you need to be is that one in a thousand or whatever number you read.
use protection at all times unless you and your partner know thier status by testing only...
my insight might not be the best, but it's the safest for sure...
GREAT ADVISE. I HOPE PEOPLE READ THIS

Old 08-07-2008, 07:50 AM   #7
(male)

rin3guy HB User

Apart from having a fresh wound in your mouth from flossing your teeth or biting your lip, I do not consider giving oral sex to be risky for HIV at all. Maybe I am just lucky, but over the years I have swallowed semen rather indiscriminately from more men than I could ever count, but regularly test negative & am very healthy & health-conscious. Saliva inhibits HIV, & the hydrochloric acid in your stomach destroys it!

People with unmeasurably low HIV levels are called "undetectable," & a Swiss study last year showed that even unprotected receptive anal sex is not risky with a person who is considered undetectable. I may be wrong, but I think "undetectable" is just another word for "cured." The medical establishment will never admit to such a thing though, since they want to keep everyone on as many drugs as possible throughout their lives, because Big Pharma's profits are even larger than Big Oil!

The following user gives a hug of support to rin3guy:
koolsky2009 (11-03-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to rin3guy For This Useful Post:
koolsky2009 (11-03-2010)
Old 08-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rin3guy View Post
I may be wrong, but I think "undetectable" is just another word for "cured." The medical establishment will never admit to such a thing though, since they want to keep everyone on as many drugs as possible throughout their lives, because Big Pharma's profits are even larger than Big Oil!

I'm no expert, but I think you are wrong......
I had a friend stop taking his meds because he was undetectable and he thought he was cured.......he died.....

Closed Thread