It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2002, 02:17 AM   #1

ukguy19 HB User
Post HIV risk of Being a Top??

Just a general question. I understand there is a risk when having unprotected sex, and there is a risk in both giving and receiving. However, I am wondering just how risky being the giving partner actually is. The risks of taking is obvious, but as a top, how likely is it that enough HIV can be passed on, into the penis of the male from the anus of the recieving partner. I am talking more specifically about anal sex here. Anybody know of any sites on this topic?? I am not planning on doing it, but it would be interesting to know. Does lubrication make much difference? If the recieving partner is HIV+, and a minute amount of blood from the anus gets into the urethra, or into a microscopic cut on the head of the penis, does that automatically mean you get HIV, or just there is a risk? Any site i see, is very vague.

Old 08-31-2002, 08:18 PM   #2

Yikes! HB User
Exclamation

When it comes to HIV, nothing is automatic. There have been times when HIV- people were exposed to HIV+ people in high-risk sex and did not catch the disease.

Any unprotected vaginal, anal, or oral sex carries a risk of HIV transmission provided at least one partner is HIV positive. Note that the risk for oral is lower than vaginal or anal but not nonexistant.

Further, the simple physics of the situation would seem to indicate it is more difficult but not impossible for the insertive partner to acquire HIV from an HIV-infected receptive partner. Again, that statement does not imply there is no risk for the "top" because HIV infection can and has occurred in that manner.

Hope this answers the question.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2002, 10:53 AM   #3
HappyGirl2

I just read this statement from "adepressedguy". I dont know where he got his info but it sounds encouraging.

Testing at 6 weeks (HIV Antibody, Elisa) past your LAST exposure is very reassuring,but not 100% conclusive. Six week tests can offer confidence while waiting for the three month test. No futhur testing is "needed" after three months, but in cases of a possible significant exposure a six month test can be ordered to put the mind at ease. If your boyfriend had HIV, understand that it's not a 100% transmission rate per sexual act. It's roughly 3%-5% per act of anal sex, 1%-3% for vaginal, and far less than 1% for oral, if at all. G'luck and let us know.

Closed Thread