It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2002, 07:02 AM   #1

ADepressedGuy HB User
Post Swollen Lymph Node(s) - - how long?

Hello - I've gone through the "worried well" phase, testing too early, negative at 6-8 weeks (ELISA) ect. Of course my Obsessive compulsive disorder has kicked in and put the spotlight back on my HIV fears. After that last risky encounter, I developed a single, swollen lymph node, I believe it is a submandibular node, below my jaw, near my esophagus. I let it go, but the node has been persistently swollen from months upon months. It is a single node, I have been to the doctor mutiple times. Negative for mono, great general blood work (cbc), negative on ELISA at about 6 weeks, possibly 8 weeks. I'm not asking the usual "am I infected?" -- I want to discuss lymph nodes and other possible causes of swelling besides the obvious. I ahve been on numerous courses of antibiotics, from the mild to the most hardcore antibiotic avaliable. It remains swollen. Persistent, non tender, size of a grape. I have read sometimes that having certain allergies, which I do have, can cause a lymph node to react and swell. I've had post nasal drip and the rest of my allergies symptoms for months. I'm not exactly sure how something like simple allergies canc ause this, but do recall reading it. I also became drunk one night and the ER told me to induce vomiting. This was similar to bulimic inducing vomiting. I know that it was harsh and I was straining and jabbing at my throat, in a frenzy. I know that local damage/trauma can cause swelling of the lymph node, however, I would not expect it to be swolllen for many month later as this one has. it seems to be close to my esophagus, at times when I swollow my saliva or food, I can feel it "pop" and "click" as it moves agasint my esophagus while the food passes. I've also been reading something about inflammation causing chronic lymph node swelling, what exactly does this mean? I never had any fever, rash, body aches, ect... no symptoms of any infections, nor any tests or blood work to support any infections since the swelling began. The node became enlarged shortly after my high-risk encounter, extremely high risk, but also aronud the time I had to induce vomiting, so it's hard to distinguish an exact cause. Any help and in-depth information on lymph node swelling would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2002, 12:54 AM   #2
lushy

if its not tender, i wouldn't worry about it. you may want to get checked out again for hiv. i too have problems with my lymph nodes. and a lot of people have problems with their lymph nodes. i would go to an ear throat and nose doctor, because they specialize in these things. good luck!

Old 10-31-2002, 09:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
Quote:
Of course my Obsessive compulsive disorder has kicked in and put the spotlight back on my HIV fears.
Since you already know what the problem is, effective treatment for this disorder is what I'd advise you to seek. Good luck to you.

Old 11-07-2002, 05:18 PM   #4

ADepressedGuy HB User
Turns out to be my submandibular salivary gland. Not lymph node. No stone or tumor. No infection. Unexplained swelling. Given the lack of other symptoms, and fluctuance of the gland, and the completely non-reactive ELISAs at 1 and 2 months, it's time to move on. Agreed?

Old 11-08-2002, 10:09 AM   #5
Veteran

Temperamental HB User
Swollen lymph nodes can be a million things. NEVER go by symptoms alone when diagnosing HIV. Your lymph nodes can swell when you have a simple cold all that means is that they are working to help protect you from viruses and infection.

Most people will produce antibodies within 6-8 weeks, with the vast majority producing within 6 weeks (this is what a lady told me who works at a lab and does blood tests for this stuff and is very knowledgable)but The CDC recommends testing at 90 days to be 100% accurate.

Worrying and constantly stressing about HIV can weaken your immune system and make you sick. You had a somewhat early test so you do need to retest as close to the 90 day mark as possible. Since your 6-8 week test was negative, theres a very good chance your next test will be too. Please test one more time and put yourself at ease. I need to do the same thing myself. I tested negative at 40-45 days Elisa then again via Elisa and PCR NAT at 65-70 days and I need to take one more test to getme out of the woods and I'm very nervous as its now been 4 months and again i have a cold. I realize its cold/flu season and I shouldnt be stressing over it but its hard not to. The DR said the PCR NAT is sooo sensitive if I had anything it would have come up and she said all this stress and worrying is making me sick and she put me on zoloft. She actually said I didnt need another test but I'm going to strike up the courage to take one more anyways, since I was still inside the 90 day window period.

[This message has been edited by Temperamental (edited 11-08-2002).]

Closed Thread