It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2003, 06:07 PM   #1

helpimscared HB User
Question IS THIS A SIGN OF HIV? WOULD A CBC SHOW HIV?

SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME ANY ADVICE POSSIBLE! I HAVE HAD SWOLLEN LYMPH GLANDS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY NECK FOR ABOTU A WEEK AND ALSO HAVE HAD A FEVER REACHING 102.5 FOR A WEEK. I HAVE NO OTHER SYMPTOMS, BUT IS THIS COMMON TO MAINTAIN A FEVER IF YOU HAVE HIV FOR A WEEK OR MORE? DO U THINK IT COULD BE SOEMTHING ELSE? MY DR DID A MONO TEST AND A STREP TEST AND ALSO A COMPLETE BLOOD COUNT WHICH HE SAID ALL WERE NORMAL, IF I HAD HIV WOULD A COMPLETE BLOOD COUNT (CBC) SHOW ANYTHING?

Old 07-16-2003, 06:52 PM   #2

shadow2 HB User
hey!! my dr did a strep and cbc on me about 2weeks ago. everything was FINE. bronchitis was going around my town and i caught it. my question for everyone is very similar.... you know, like do you HAVE to get an HIV specific test for HIV signs to come up in your blood. wish somebody would answer. this could really EASE MY MIND!!! best of luck to you!!!
deborah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2003, 08:04 AM   #3

anyone HB User
Hello guys, te answer to shadow2's question is absolutely, yes. The only thing that can determine HIV status be it positive or negative is an HIV-specific test. The 3 most known types of assays are as follows:

-P24 Antigen - Looks for a protein sequence often particular to HIV. Needs to be done within the 3rd-4th week post possible exposure in order to yield an accurate result. Confirmatory ELISA/WB assay is usually performed in case of positive result.

-PCR DNA / PCR RNA - Looks for DNA/RNA sequences specific to the HIV virus. Research tool, very sensitive and expensive. Can detect HIV infection very soon. Not recommended for the average patient (people who have sex with individuals of unknown or unconfirmed status) unless a known contact with HIV has occurred.

-Enzyme Linked Immuno Assay (ELISA) - Detects the presence of antibodies to the HIV virus. Needs a waiting period of at least 3 months from possible exposure in order to yield a conclusive result, since detectable antibodies need to be produced by the body. Most widely used form of assay. Positive results are confirmed with a Western Blot assay which is a more sensitive test, although not recommended for use apart from the ELISA.

Now, lets talk about the CBC. The reason why the CBC cannot be used to diagnose HIV is the fact that organisms react vastly different from one another, it is true that on some individuals (usually medium-older age patients) do present abnormalities in their blood counts, most younger individuals do not. Furthermore, blood counts can be affected by just about any condition or illness totally unrelated to HIV. For this reason, detailed CD4 counts on a person who has not been confirmed HIV positive through any of the assays mentioned above, are totally meaningless.

Hope the info helps.

------------------
Best wishes.

[This message has been edited by anyone (edited 07-18-2003).]

[This message has been edited by anyone (edited 07-18-2003).]

Old 07-18-2003, 09:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

maybe helpful HB User
Fever and Swollen lymphnode could be symptom of ANYTHING out there! There are so many viruses that maek your body respond that way, and although HIV is opne of them, it is very likley you have a virus, a cold, or that your body is fighting one off.

CBC does not indicate HIV. Only an HIV specific test.

Good Luck, and be safe.

Old 07-22-2003, 01:15 PM   #5
SHAN4699

IT IS ACTUALLY NOT UN COMMON FOR A CBC TO SHOW IRRREGULARITIES WHEN HIV IS PRESENT. I BELIEVE ALMOST 75% OF PPL WITH HIV DO HAVE CBC IRREGULARITIES, SO IT CAN BE A PIN POINTER TO A SPECIFIC PROBLEM BUT IN NO WAY IS A CLEAR INDICATOR OF INFECTION.

Old 07-24-2003, 05:53 PM   #6

Jide HB User
Maybe a little bit late for answering your post but when seroconverting, all the glands are swollen, not only one. In any case, although fever is the first common ars symptom of infection, fever can come from so many different illnesses.

Old 07-26-2003, 10:25 AM   #7

ericaseeu HB User
Red face

You must get an HIV anti-bodies test to know if you have it and you can have it and not know it because sometimes there are no symptoms. My sister went in for a physical and took the test because it did not cost extra and came up positive. The only way to know is to take the test and the best thing to do is take it and have safe sex ALWAYS!!!!!! They have condoms and dental damns for oral sex, so enjoy but be safe.

Closed Thread