It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2003, 07:56 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
Question scalp sores, swollen glands purple spots on arm

Help! I just took the hiv test along with many other blood tests. Wouldn't a cbc have shown trouble if it were aids? I recently had surgery, cervical fusion, wouldn't someone have picked up on aids with all the blood work? I am a wreck! I have had swollen glands now 2# since surgery, March, and my skin has gotten worse, purple like red spots on arm. I bruise easily and tired. My throat hurts to swallow. It could be related to the cervical fusion? I do have porokeratosis from a recent biopsy.(immune disease) I have had mono and hep b over 20 yrs ago. Now I have to wait 2 wks for results and I am so scared! If I were infected wouldn't my boyfriend be showing symptoms? He is an alcoholic and says he has cancer of the stomache. He doesn't eat and drinks constantly. He doesn't have the skin issues . We do not have an active sex life, some oral but his gums are infected would kissing infect me? sorry to go on and on but I am scared http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

Old 08-09-2003, 11:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

maybe helpful HB User
"Wouldn't a cbc have shown trouble if it were aids?"

Although a CBC can indicate certain infections, and IS affected by the AIDS virus, it is not a conclusive test. There may be no indicator of HIV in a CBC, you need a PCR or an Antibody test to prove HIV infection.

As for the other symptoms, they do not necesarilly mean an HIV infection, and your mentioned immune disease, wich could certainly account for some of the things you are expierncing.

"If I were infected wouldn't my boyfriend be showing symptoms?"

Not necesarily. Some people can go for as long as 10 years before symptoms begin.

"We do not have an active sex life, some oral but his gums are infected would kissing infect me?"

Possible, but not probable.

Although the wait is unbearable, looking for symptoms and second guessing yourself are not going to make it easier or quicker. The ONLY thing that will reassure you is the result of that test, so try and wait as best you can.

------------------
Good Luck and Be Safe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread