It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2003, 01:58 PM   #1

worriedandconcerned HB User
Post When is the earliest HIV can be detected?

I've gotten mixed information about HIV detection. I've been told that it may be detected as early as 3 months, but then I've also been told that it cant be detected for AT LEAST 6 months, and even that is on the early side.

Please help!!

Old 08-12-2003, 02:17 PM   #2

anyone HB User
Definitely the first information is accurate. 6 months has become a bit conservative over the years, as new and improved testing technologies are implemented. The truth is the standard ELISA which has been in use for years, has been found reliable when taken at 3 months.

Study has and currently continues to determine that most infected patients seroconvert in 4-6 weeks after initial infection. CDC used to have a 6 month window. They recently changed that to 3 months. They still keep 6 months for extremely risky exposures, where a person known to have HIV was involved. But for most cases, 3 months is sufficient.

If your doctor ever tells you you need a year or 2 to be sure, I'd advise you to quickly see another doctor who is knowledgeable AND updated on the subject.

------------------
Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2003, 02:22 PM   #3

worriedandconcerned HB User
Thanks for the quick response. I've been tested at the 3 month point (and was negative), and am quickly approaching the 6 month mark. If the 6 month test is negative, should I Keep getting tested periodically? if so, how often?

Old 08-12-2003, 11:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

maybe helpful HB User
If you are having sex with diffrent partners, it would be a good idea to be tested every 6 months to a year. If you are in a monogamus relationship, you may not need a teast every year, but it certanliy couldnt hurt.

------------------
Good Luck and Be Safe

Old 08-13-2003, 06:23 AM   #5

Jide HB User
worried, if you have practiced safe sex since your last exposure, then you are beyond the window period and you can consider your 3-months results as conclusive. There is really no need to continue testing for the 6-months mark. Some countries in europe even consider a 8-weeks window period, depending on the risk.
Keep safe.

Old 08-18-2003, 12:20 PM   #6
Inactive

Maximo HB User
The VAST majority of people will test positive after only 6 weeks. 98% of newly infected people will test positive after 8 weeks.

[This message has been edited by Maximo (edited 08-18-2003).]

Old 08-19-2003, 11:52 AM   #7
ball&chain

i went in for my test at four weeks because i heard that it can take as little as 9-14 days, but most people its within 25 (the tester said 95% of people who test positive will do so in about 25 days)

i have also heard that 8 weeks/two months is highly accurate and many experts feel this is good enough... unless of course your already ill

upon taking my 3 month test i was informed that according to the seminars these testers go to, there is a lot of information saying that 45 days is a more accurate window period

i guess i will find out soon enough...

my belief is stick to the 3 months... it may be conservative... but there are good reasons... you may easily test positive earlier if you may get hiv, but you also want to know for certain.

and unless you are in poor health or maybe a heavy drug user you probably have no reason to test out to the 6 months... peace of mind possibly... but its not very common... the tests these days are being said to be greater that 99% accurate after 3 months

Old 08-19-2003, 11:54 AM   #8
ball&chain

i went in for my test at four weeks because i heard that it can take as little as 9-14 days, but most people its within 25 (the tester said 95% of people who test positive will do so in about 25 days)

i have also heard that 8 weeks/two months is highly accurate and many experts feel this is good enough... unless of course your already ill

upon taking my 3 month test i was informed that according to the seminars these testers go to, there is a lot of information saying that 45 days is a more accurate window period

i guess i will find out soon enough...

my belief is stick to the 3 months... it may be conservative... but there are good reasons... you may easily test positive earlier if you may get hiv, but you also want to know for certain.

and unless you are in poor health or maybe a heavy drug user you probably have no reason to test out to the 6 months... peace of mind possibly... but its not very common... the tests these days are being said to be greater that 99% accurate after 3 months

Closed Thread