It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2003, 08:07 AM   #1
SoVeryScared

Post Is it harder for men to catch HIV from women than vice versa?

I'm in a similar boat to the gentleman who started this thread. I went for a vacation in malaysia and pulled a 'Pay as you go' type lady from a bar when drunk. I used a condom as always, just before ejaculation my penis slipped of her and i noticed the condom had broken. Being drunk I made the STUPID STUPID mistake of going on until ejaculating inside her approx. 3-4 minutes later. (the entire session lasted less than 45 minutes).

Within a few minutes i immediatly showered and washed my genital areas. Within 30-45 minutes after that I went straight to 7-Eleven and bought "Dettol" the disinfectant and washed my entire body with it, especially around my glans area.

This is my first time that I've ever had sex with inadequate protection, within 36 hours I'd seen a doctor who prescribed me:

4 X Cefuroxime axetil 250mg to be taken at once

Doxycycline 100 mg Twice a day for ten days

The doctor said it will cover Gonnorhea (sic), Syphillis, etc but cannot help with HIV and I can only get a test in 4 weeks. I am very very very frightened. Please can somebody tell me any rough ideas on the probabilities and modes of femal to male transmission. I'm not even sure how it gets in you, is it through the urethra wall or must it travel all the way up to the prostrate?

Please help. I do not want to die.

TO ALL MEN AND WOMEN OUT THERE:

Even if you are not HIV positive or have not been in any risky encounters. Please listen and learn from my mistake NEVER have sex without a condom! It is stupid and although at the time may seem alright, the few mere seconds of pleasure is in no way worth the emotional trauma you will be put through for weeks. If you are in a situation like mine in the future or so horny you feel you have to visit a prostitute, just force yourself to masturbate til the feeling goes.

Find a single monogomous partner, both of you get tested, then when your both cleared, stick to just each other.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2003, 08:13 AM   #2
ddd2222

yes it is harder for a man to catch it from a woman but it's definitely not impossible.
from a one-time possible exposure the odds are in your favor but that is in no way conclusive.
the risk from a one time unprotected vaginal exposure is said to be anywhere from 1/1000 to 1/8000 depending on who you ask.
get tested at 3 months.

Old 09-14-2003, 12:44 PM   #3

jb03 HB User
What are the approximate chances of contracting HIV from a female after having 4 encounters, 2 of which did not come close to ejaculation, and 2 in which I pulled out right before? Are they pretty strong, moderate or weak?

I have no reason to think the person is infected but after talking to her recently I discovered that she has had as many as 8 previous partners and has not always used protection.

Old 09-14-2003, 02:25 PM   #4
Ralpho

The chances of a man getting HIV from random, risk-free female from unproteced vaginal sex are one in 50 million to 80 million.

Old 09-15-2003, 09:57 AM   #5

lovejones1 HB User
Also I thought only pencillin can help with spyhillis.

Old 09-15-2003, 10:14 AM   #6
ddd2222

for the male ejaculation does not matter. ejaculation only puts the female at more risk.
the odds are believed to be anywhere from 1/1000 to 1/8000 for every act of unprotected vaginal sex.

Old 09-15-2003, 09:43 PM   #7
SoVeryScared

Those odd's are quite commonly quoted in medical journals and papers published online. What puzzles me; is this meaning if you have sex with a HIV positive lady and you will only have a 1 in a thousand chance of catching it OR 1 in a thousand times you have sex it will be with a HIV positive lady and during that particular encounter you will definitely catch it.

For all this time the anti-hiv campaigns have implied that if you have unprotected sex with a hiv positive partner you WILL catch hiv, no if's or but's, its a guarantee.

now after my experience as described in the post above, i'm under the impression that in fact it is quite difficult for a male to catch hiv from an infected female. This doesnt quite add up, i mean arent we supposedly living in a world with a HIV-Epidemic? Arent there millions upon millions of men AND women with HIV in this world? How can this be when a majority of us are heterosexual, and it is usually us men that are the most sexually active.

It would be heterosexual men that would have to be the main agents of spreading the virus, but its so 'difficult' for us to catch it? We have to have sex 1000 to 8000 times to get it apparently.

Could somebody with medical experience please shed some light to this topic as i fear that the 1/1000 odds may misguide some men to be more risky.

Old 09-15-2003, 09:47 PM   #8
svsred

Question

Those odd's are quite commonly quoted in medical journals and papers published online. What puzzles me; is this meaning if you have sex with a HIV positive lady and you will only have a 1 in a thousand chance of catching it OR 1 in a thousand times you have sex it will be with a HIV positive lady and during that particular encounter you will definitely catch it.

For all this time the anti-hiv campaigns have implied that if you have unprotected sex with a hiv positive partner you WILL catch hiv, no if's or but's, its a guarantee.

now after my experience as described in the post above, i'm under the impression that in fact it is quite difficult for a male to catch hiv from an infected female. This doesnt quite add up, i mean arent we supposedly living in a world with a HIV-Epidemic? Arent there millions upon millions of men AND women with HIV in this world? How can this be when a majority of us are heterosexual, and it is usually us men that are the most sexually active.

It would be heterosexual men that would have to be the main agents of spreading the virus, but its so 'difficult' for us to catch it? We have to have sex 1000 to 8000 times to get it apparently.

Could somebody with medical experience please shed some light to this topic as i fear that the 1/1000 odds may misguide some men to be more risky.

Old 09-15-2003, 09:57 PM   #9
babyshan4699

The chances of infection from a woman to a man per one sexual act is 1 in 8000. It is very rare for this type of transmission to take place, in fact many doctors feel it is virtually impossible unless thee is a visibly open BLEEDING cut on the part of both partners.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:33 PM   #10
Ralpho

Babyshan is right, and the figure 1-in-8,000 means that it takes an AVERAGE of 8,000 contacts with an HIV-positive female for an HIV-negative male to get HIV.

Old 09-17-2003, 10:43 PM   #11
goober4699

thank your Ralph about time someone has some knowledge!

Closed Thread