It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
(female)

bebe1983 HB User
after obsessing for Over a yr, i got Tested today

i wont know my results for 2 weeks.

when i signed my consent form i couldnt believe i was actually going through with it. i dont know if ive done the right thing. if my results are postive, i hope i know how to deal with it.

i went to my internal medicine doc today b/c of another yeast infection, granted i Was taking two antibiotics about a month ago for a sinus infection, but everytime i read something about recurrent yeast infections being a primary symptom for hiv i really started to panic.

im just tired of panicking, stressing, diagnosing myself, and noticing every little symptoms. i Want to say i hope i'm negative, but hoping wont cure anything. trying to stay positive wont cancel out positive results. as far as i am concerned, it is what it is. the only thing i can hope for is that IF im positive That i will know how to deal with this and live my life as normally as possible.

ive tried to keep putting this in The back of my head as much as possible. im just afraid that since i havent Been able to that it could mean i am positive, and my woman's intuition was right and Was telling me all along.

it will b 2 years in january since my suspicious encounter, and i only say suspicious b/c i am paranoid And def have ocd. i just know people go years and almost a decade Without any symptoms. if mine are actually symptoms, they have creeped Up pretty quickly.

i wish it didnt take two weeks. i almost wished i didnt have the courage to Ask for this test. i mean, Im started a new school in jan. everything seemed like it Was turing around for me. i recived scholarships too. but i just hope that i dont turnn out being positive. it Will really put a damper On Things. i mean i want to go To medical school, and what's the point of striving for years of education if you know u have hiv and will die a lot sooner than if u were healthy?

i apologize If it sounds like i dont know much About this disease, but in health classes they Always made it sound like a death sentence.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: after obsessing for Over a yr, i got Tested today

Hang in there....OCD will wreak havoc on your mind.....
think of how good you're gonna feel when they tell you you're negative!

Old 11-19-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
(male)

jake99 HB User

HIV infection, which can lead to AIDS, is no longer considered a "death sentence". With all of the various meds out there now (and there are many), it is now considered a manageable chronic illness. Much like diabetes. You just have to make sure you stick to the drug regimine prescribed for you by your doctor. People today are living long and fruitful lives while being HIV+.

Take my situation: I was diagnosed with AIDS in May of this year, with a viral load count of 1.6 million and a CD4 count of 23, yet showed absolutely no symptoms and felt perfectly fine. It was only because of a few marks that were starting to appear on my face and body (which turned out to be Kaposi's Sarcoma), that I was tested for HIV. My infection resulted from a one-time incident over 10 years ago, and I was floored when I was diagnosed as being positive. I'm 43, have a wife and 2 small boys. It's a miracle that she has never contracted it, and I thank God each and every day for that. People make mistakes all the time, and not one person in this world can honestly cast the first stone. Unfortunately, I'm paying dearly for my mistake.

My viral load was reduced to 1330 and my CD4 count was up to 108 within 1 month of being on the meds. The virus is now undetectable in my body by the normal tests that they run. My CD4 count still has a way to go, but just like before, I feel absolutely fine. And the meds? I take 1 pill a day. It's like taking a vitamin. My doctor has told me I will more than likely die from old age than from this illness.

Here's hoping your test results are negative! And definitely look into med school.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
(female)

bebe1983 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
Hang in there....OCD will wreak havoc on your mind.....
think of how good you're gonna feel when they tell you you're negative!
rosequartz,
i want to hear it so bad....how can u be so sure that they will tell me that. i just want to get past this. *tear*

and if i do end up hearing that im negative i wont give a crap about my yeast infection. i wont really worry about anything, and if i ever did get something i prob wont obsess about it like i do now. ill stop picking over every little symptom and stop internet diagnosis. if i do anything at all, ill be going to a psychologist.

i just hope you're right rose. i mean the things i read On the internet which im sure you've Seen as well, make you feel like u can diagnose yourself. then you watch those shows like mystery diagnosis, and a lot of these people end up figuring out their illness by self interent diagnosis. and of course im only looking on credible websites. but if i am negative...i will finally feel Like i can start living again and get out of this worry rut.

a month ago i had a sinus Infection, and it didnt seem like the augmentim Was helping, so they put me on levaquin too. after i finished the antiobiotics, i felt no different. i still had lots of facial pain. then i Read sinus infections are prevelant in hiv patients, especially Hard to get rid Of fungal Infections. so i keep obsessing, and finally took myself to an ent to examine my sinuses. i expected Dto hear u have a severe case of fungal sinusitis and need surgery.

so she wheeled in a portable tv and said i could watch my sinuses on the tv, lol. that way i can See for myself. u know what it showed? clean, healthy sinuses...... i wanted to cry in there. i was overjoyed. then i noticed day by day, the sinus pain was becoing less and less. it was Really miraculous. i guess the stress was making it worse. i Was taking 6 tylonel a day. today im taking none. it was a miracle for me.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

bebe I'm no expert, but from what I've read, you cannot diagnose yourself with HIV based on symptoms......
sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.....ya know?
sometimes a yeast infection is just a yeast infection.
Are you wearing cotton panties? Sometimes yeast just comes back, sometimes it's from moisture, panty hose, tight jeans, etc.
I wouldn't sweat it, like you said, it is what it is, right?
In this case i'm crossing my fingers for you that it's NOT what you think it is.....You took the first brave step and got tested. I seriously doubt it's HIV, but I know you can't relax until they tell you.......NEGATIVE!!!!
You will be ok, don't worry!

Old 11-19-2008, 10:51 AM   #6
(female)

bebe1983 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake99 View Post
HIV infection, which can lead to AIDS, is no longer considered a "death sentence". With all of the various meds out there now (and there are many), it is now considered a manageable chronic illness. Much like diabetes. You just have to make sure you stick to the drug regimine prescribed for you by your doctor. People today are living long and fruitful lives while being HIV+.

Take my situation: I was diagnosed with AIDS in May of this year, with a viral load count of 1.6 million and a CD4 count of 23, yet showed absolutely no symptoms and felt perfectly fine. It was only because of a few marks that were starting to appear on my face and body (which turned out to be Kaposi's Sarcoma), that I was tested for HIV. My infection resulted from a one-time incident over 10 years ago, and I was floored when I was diagnosed as being positive. I'm 43, have a wife and 2 small boys. It's a miracle that she has never contracted it, and I thank God each and every day for that. People make mistakes all the time, and not one person in this world can honestly cast the first stone. Unfortunately, I'm paying dearly for my mistake.

My viral load was reduced to 1330 and my CD4 count was up to 108 within 1 month of being on the meds. The virus is now undetectable in my body by the normal tests that they run. My CD4 count still has a way to go, but just like before, I feel absolutely fine. And the meds? I take 1 pill a day. It's like taking a vitamin. My doctor has told me I will more than likely die from old age than from this illness.

Here's hoping your test results are negative! And definitely look into med school.

thank you for the positive reassurance. it's good to hear from Someone that it is no longer a death Sentence, and that you Are Undetetable. there was another man on this board who was diagnosed and his wife remained negative. doctors said he prob was positive for about 13 years before he knew. i wonder why certain people Are more susceptible

ive been obsessing about this guy i had relations with 2 yrs ago. he's In The army, so i know he has been tested at some point and he told me they tested him for everything, i Assumed he meant hiv too. i just want to believe that if he had it, his viral loads are undetectable as well, and that i would be at less of a risk of contracting It.

im glad u Are doing well though. it really gives us worry warts some hope and optimism.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
(female)

bebe1983 HB User

some people might ask me why it took so long for me to get tested. of course, the obvious reasons kept me from getting tested. but i moved here about a yr ago, so i had been doctor hopping for a while because i hadnt found a general practitioner that i liked.

the first said to me, ''you're too young to worry about that.'' i have only had 4 partners but still.

the 2nd said in a joking, Condesending Manner, ''oh you dont have hiv you're healthy.''

the 3rd asked me if i Was exposed to hiv. i dont know...i mean isnt the whole point is
to get tested?

so i didnt feel comfortable going through with the testing with any of these doctors.. none of them suggested it. i didnt like how they dismissed my concern and made me feel like i was looking for something to be wrong with me. they say u cant tell if a person has hiv by looking at Them, so how were some of them able to tell me i didnt have it just by looking at me? doesnt seem very professional

Old 03-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
(male)

unfortunateguy HB User

Hi 1chance,

First of all i would request you to pay some kind of respect to people who are here and above all to the humanity.
Secondly, i would like to point out is We all are worried of one reason or the other in life. I think to my understanding that your worry about HIV got you here and i think pretty much every one is sailing in the same boat here.
Mitey, its a community here and i would rather say family here with whom you can discuss of your ill founded fears openly about which YOU CANT talk to your own blood kins.
I can see from your post previous to this that you are concerned of starting a family. So i don't think you would like ANYONE means ANYONE at all to point any finger on your family members.

So i would suggest you to be nice to experts here and i think who are NOT HARMING you in any way BUT they are being with you NO MATTER they are HIV POSITIVE or HIV NEGATIVE and irrespective of their Status, they are trying to ease your fears.

The Following User Says Thank You to unfortunateguy For This Useful Post:
Apollo123 (03-01-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 10:59 PM   #9
(male)

unfortunateguy HB User

Hi 1Chance,

11 weeks Negative means next to GOLD Seal.
Symptoms doesn't come that long after that long as what I was told and that's what experts will tell. So take out that your Equation.

Quote:
does that mean a week in the window period can make that much difference. Or can this also be the fact that my test might have been false negative.
No NOT AT ALL.

Negative False with ELISA Antibody is 99.9% right.

Quote:
I see you have made it, for a short time i felt the same way and was glad to have gone over it, but from all my research i can only conclude that you never know with HIV to many people tell you different things and HIV can react differrently in different bodies thus you never know. leaving only one option to be done which is to keep testing to be on the safe side.
HIV Test --> 99.9% Out of Equation and now you dont go on start taking 0.01% possibility as Nothing in medical line is 100%. Take my case, my result is Non Reactive post 12 weeks with 0.04% Reactivity (which means nothing in medical terms) and nearly every one with Negative results will have it.

whats wrong with your Lymph node? i would suspect Stress have been manifested in your Mind or may be other Medical Reason BUT NOT HIV.
IF you didn't have any other EXPOSURE BEFORE or AFTER whatever Test you took.

Do yourself a favour mate, don't go in Viscous Circle of doubting those results and don't DWELL on them. I did and i can go by my experience.

By all means, you can take a Test at 12 or 13 weeks (NOT NEEDED) but by all means expect it to be negative.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:57 AM   #10
(male)

1chance HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfortunateguy View Post
Hi 1Chance,

11 weeks Negative means next to GOLD Seal.
Symptoms doesn't come that long after that long as what I was told and that's what experts will tell. So take out that your Equation.

No NOT AT ALL.

Negative False with ELISA Antibody is 99.9% right.

HIV Test --> 99.9% Out of Equation and now you dont go on start taking 0.01% possibility as Nothing in medical line is 100%. Take my case, my result is Non Reactive post 12 weeks with 0.04% Reactivity (which means nothing in medical terms) and nearly every one with Negative results will have it.

whats wrong with your Lymph node? i would suspect Stress have been manifested in your Mind or may be other Medical Reason BUT NOT HIV.
IF you didn't have any other EXPOSURE BEFORE or AFTER whatever Test you took.

Do yourself a favour mate, don't go in Viscous Circle of doubting those results and don't DWELL on them. I did and i can go by my experience.

By all means, you can take a Test at 12 or 13 weeks (NOT NEEDED) but by all means expect it to be negative.
I believe in the tests but in terms of accuracy these test vary and unfortunatally test taken was 2nd generation, most will tell you its all the same after 6 weeks or it's only few days apart. Although considered outdated people giving this test still recommend 6 months. Usually experts would say antibody should show after ARS symptoms but as you can see that will depend on the type and methods used.
symptoms can appear as part of stage 1 hiv. There is ARS 2-4 weeks and then there is the stage 1 hiv stage after seronversion which is considered to not include symptoms, however swollen lymph node is one that is experianced most often since hiv is considered to be very active in the lymph node. since your risk was minimal and test prooves it,you should be ok. but as far as my case goes it will take me awhile.

Last edited by 1chance; 03-02-2011 at 06:07 AM.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:08 AM   #11
(male)

unfortunateguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chance View Post
I believe in the tests but in terms of accuracy these test vary and unfortunatally test taken was 2nd generation, most will tell you its all the same after 6 weeks or it's only few days apart. Although considered outdated people giving this test still recommend
6 months. there is ARS 2-4 weeks and then there is the stage 1 hiv stage after seronversion which is considered to not include symptoms, however swollen lymph node is one that is experianced most often since hiv is considered to be very active in the lymph node. since your risk was minimal and test prooves it,you should be ok. but as far as my case goes it will take me awhile.
I assure ya, the second generation Elisa (Which i assume you took as per what you say) is just as accurate, as the 4th generation at 11th Week Stage. and the negatives are just that negative. please don't knit-pick what ya read on the internet, or in these forums. Worry & Anxiety, are normal things we all deal with, however....IF they become a dictating issue in your everyday life, please seek the help needed for that, This forum is for HIV/AIDS information, Not to invoke fear into people, by reading a bunch of "but what ifs" into anything that is posted here.....

The generation of test has some impact in picking up infection early - i.e. in the first few weeks of infection. The 4th Generation test is good at this because it looks for antigens as well as antibodies. But antigens are generally not detectable after about a couple of weeks, I understand.

The short answer to your question is that after about 6 weeks all generations of tests are equally accurate.
You will notice that all the recommendations of a 13 week window being sufficient do not say anything about the generation of the test. That is because it absolutely does not matter at that point - they are all going to give completely reliable results. If you think that there was any question about this, do you really believe that the CDC etc. would not mention it or that doctors or indeed labs would not protect their legal position by only using 4th Generation tests?

There is nothing more we can tell you here about your test. It is definitive and you are HIV-. Period. If you cannot accept this, We (I am saying along the behalf of other experts) cannot help much and you really do need to see a mental health professional. Really.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #12
(male)

1chance HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfortunateguy View Post
I assure ya, the second generation Elisa (Which i assume you took as per what you say) is just as accurate, as the 4th generation at 11th Week Stage. and the negatives are just that negative. please don't knit-pick what ya read on the internet, or in these forums. Worry & Anxiety, are normal things we all deal with, however....IF they become a dictating issue in your everyday life, please seek the help needed for that, This forum is for HIV/AIDS information, Not to invoke fear into people, by reading a bunch of "but what ifs" into anything that is posted here.....

The generation of test has some impact in picking up infection early - i.e. in the first few weeks of infection. The 4th Generation test is good at this because it looks for antigens as well as antibodies. But antigens are generally not detectable after about a couple of weeks, I understand.

The short answer to your question is that after about 6 weeks all generations of tests are equally accurate.
You will notice that all the recommendations of a 13 week window being sufficient do not say anything about the generation of the test. That is because it absolutely does not matter at that point - they are all going to give completely reliable results. If you think that there was any question about this, do you really believe that the CDC etc. would not mention it or that doctors or indeed labs would not protect their legal position by only using 4th Generation tests?

There is nothing more we can tell you here about your test. It is definitive and you are HIV-. Period. If you cannot accept this, We (I am saying along the behalf of other experts) cannot help much and you really do need to see a mental health professional. Really.
Thanks for the clarification but i was very aware of the 4th generation tests using Antigen + antibodies, in which antigen and antibodies work in vice versa effect as Antigen used for early detection but levels drop as antibodies become more detectable. However the difference of testing compared were the 3rd and 2nd generation in which both use only antibody to detect HIV. 11weeks, one week from 12/13 week window period you would think not much would changed but the fear still there, why? as i have explained its the sign of lympe node with no other accompanied illness or symptoms, 2nd is the realibility of a Home test which is something im not to sure of, there has been many companies that were sued for high false negative. Honestly i was happy to move on, but this came to mind and now im not sure at all. And believe me im not trying to invoke fear but i have become skeptical through out my long search to find answers as some information just never seems to fit.

However i do agee that a 12/13 week test should be accurate since that seem to be the only consistant response by experts. And few will stil mention 6 months. Whatever the case many doctor will always advise to always test further out if it was an actual risk with a known HIV positive partner which seems to be a battle for most of us as its not easy to have them to cooperate which only brings suspicions. Being an unprotected vaginal exposure i know im in a real risk. And numbers and stats never help when it comes to HIV, as it seems clear each person will have different viral load and many other factors that can make it likely to transmit, and in fact reading upon many cases seems many are getting it from a one time exposure. So the only option is to ease my mind to test through my doctor where adequate blood samples are taken rather then the small drop of blood through the Home access Hiv testing methods. I know this will be it for me but sometimes the thought of testing is just too dreadful but i know as well i will continue to with the obscession. which is something i can completely comprehend with bebe1983. By the way im sorry for taking space in your post bebe1983, being in the same circumstance i wish you the best and good luck with your result.

Last edited by 1chance; 03-02-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Closed Thread