It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
(male)

theories HB User
Chances I'm HIV positive showing no signs after six years?

About six years ago I was in a sexually active relationship (my first) with a girl who claimed, after the relationship ended, that she had been tested and was clean of everything. I have a doubts as to her honesty as I know that she did cheat on me. As a result, I've worried for years as to her honesty and I finally wanted to stop worrying and decided to get tested (and the results are pending).

I'm most concerned of being HIV positive as I know that it can go undetected for years without any signs or symptoms. My decision to get tested didn't come at me seeing any signs as I've been symptom free of anything and haven't even seen a doctor in this period of time. I've not been with anyone else during this time even to the point of no kissing. My concern comes that there were probably 3-5 times that we had unprotected sex (a compromise I regret) and I can't remember if the last time we had sex was one of these situations.

Had I felt like anything was wrong with me I would have been tested immediately so testing was purely to clear my mind. So, am I really worrying over a very low chance that I'll test positive or is my worrying still understandable as there were a few times that a compromise might have lead to this result? I'd like to again point out that after our relationship ended she emailed me to let me know that she had been tested again and all was fine.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
(male)

PC1996 HB User
Re: Chances I'm HIV positive showing no signs after six years?

The chances of her getting HIV from you would have been greater if you were POZ. The one who penetrates is less likely to get infected than the one on the receiving end.

People can go well into 8-10 years w/ no signs or symptoms. I have been hearing though that cronic sinus infections are a sign.

I am sure all is fine. Seems like you learned the dangers of unsafe sex and will be more careful from now on.

Congrats on getting tested! That is a big step!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
(male)

theories HB User

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware that I won't know and nobody can tell me until my results come back at the latest a week from Monday (or next Wed. at the earliest, provided they don't call... call meaning there's something wrong). Just to clarify this question was more of the odds of me getting it from her (if she has it) through normal vaginal sex.

Is there anything to the idea that it's a lower chance of spread from female->male during vaginal sex than the other way around? I hate that all my worrying comes from this idea that I don't trust that she was actually tested.

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
(male)

PC1996 HB User

Hi...

A man is less likey to get from a woman during regular vaginal sex. Is there still a risk? Yes! However, the risk is lower than if you were on the receiving end.

Good luck.

Closed Thread