It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
(male)

paulvarjak HB User
Depressed/Worried - All Symptoms of HIV

For the past few years (since I first decided to make the foolish decision of having unprotected sex with someone I was unsure of) I've worried about infection. However, what I've been experiencing lately has me more worried than I've ever been.

The story:

I lost my virginity when I was 16 (I'm 25 now), and was protected. After that I waited to have sex until my first real relationship. I was 19 at the time. She was 18 and a virgin. We dated for 2 1/2 years, and occasionally had sex without a condom. Due to yeast infections she had during our relationship I was tested for STDs and the results came back negative.

It wasn't long after that relationship ended that I started having sex with other people... ultimately unprotected. I had unprotected vaginal sex with someone I did not know very well for the first time when I was 22 (three years ago).

Since then I have had unprotected vaginal sex 4 other times. Two of the girls I knew from college and I have faith were negative at the time. The other two I am concerned about.

I worry about one of them especially, and for a number of reasons: a) she had many homosexual male friends and openly admitted to her bisexuality b) she was very flakey, and c) she had just moved into town and did not know anyone.

I should add that the unprotected sexual encounters that I had were not recurring events. I have only had repeated unprotected sexual intercourse with one girl (my first girlfriend who was a virgin).

The symptoms:

Since having unprotected sex with these questionable partners, I've been continually worried of infection. I have also noticed a steady decline in my health, with the most drastic symptoms appearing recently (read on).

I've had the flu a extremely large number of times (seems to have been about every 2 months this last year). And many of the occasions I've been sick have been extremely severe (worse than typical). I've also had extremely bad, razor sharp, sore throats that would prevent me from eating sometimes. And other flu-like symptoms such as fatigue, muscle ache, and cough.

My symptoms recently have been the most alarming (and of the research I've done are only pointing to one thing). About 5 weeks ago it was very sunny and I spent the day with my family at the beach. After being in the sun all day without a shirt on I was very sunburned. Red, and peeling all over--on my back, chest, and even stomach. About two days later I came down with a fever and flu-like symptoms again--somehow I feel this was due to my immune system already being weakened repairing my skin. My skin healed and flu symptoms went away--slowly. I coughed for at least two weeks and people at work even ventured to ask "are you ever going to get better?"

Last Saturday, without realizing what I was doing, I drank way too much. My girlfriend cared for me while I puked all over my bedroom and bathroom, and I woke up the following day hardly being able to move. It was the most intense hangover I've ever had. I didn't get out of bed until 6:00 PM and eventually had to force myself to eat.

The following Monday I wasn't fully recovered but I was feeling better than the day before. I was still tired and had a stomach ache but I wasn't feeling hungover anymore. The following day was the same. Then on Wednesday I started feeling sick again. I started having headaches, a slight fever, muscle pain, and fatigue, and finally noticed Wednesday night that my neck was completely swollen on both sides. It seems like the lymph nodes on both sides of my neck are visibly large and even smaller ones on the back of my head. (I don't know how to tell if my groin and armpit lymph nodes are also swollen, but I think they might be).

And now last night my girlfriend woke me up at night telling me I was sweating (my arms and forehead were wet) and asking me if I was feeling alright. This almost definitely feels like a nail in the coffin.

I've also had extreme toothaches, and have not visited a dentist in almost 2 years (I've read of abscessed and impacted teeth causing swollen lymph nodes). I have an appointment scheduled for this Tuesday.

It seems like everywhere I've read the only sources of enlarged lymph nodes can be: mononucleosis, German measles, tuberculosis, mumps, ear infection, tonsillitis, abscessed or impacted tooth, gingivitis (swelling of the gums), mouth sores, and sexually transmitted diseases.

I would really like for someone to just be frank with me. Of the research I've done everything is pointing towards this being HIV, regardless of the sunburn, over drinking, or toothache. And there really isn't very much other than HIV that I've found it could be.

I have an appointment to see my Doctor on July 6, but until then I'm utterly depressed and have simply come to the almost absolute conclusion that I am positive.

Anyone's words will be appreciated. And a big thanks to anyone who took the time to read this!

25 year old male
Heterosexual
Caucasian
Uncircumcised

Last edited by paulvarjak; 06-27-2009 at 04:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
(male)

paulvarjak HB User
Re: Depressed/Worried - All Symptoms of HIV

Thanks in advance to anyone who posts a reply!

Last edited by paulvarjak; 06-27-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
(male)

paulvarjak HB User

Please someone respond.

My head is aching and I'm too fatigued to leave my house, even though it's beautiful and sunny out.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

plasva HB User

Hello,

Until you get your test results, try not to panic. Swollen lymph nodes in the neck are only rarely caused by HIV.

You might have reoccuring mononucleosis, and along with your HIV test, ask to be tested for both viruses that cause mono: epstein barr AND cytomegalovirus rather than just the Mononucleious Spot/Screen test.

Reoccuring mono would account for your having flu-like symptoms several times, the severely sore throats, etc.

Your current state of panic accounts for your recent night sweats.

Instead of researching HIV symptoms, take a good look at anxiety symptoms. Notice some similarities?

You really can't diagnose HIV by symptoms. I know several people who have gotten really ill multiple times this year. One feels it was caused by the flu vaccine, because he normally never gets sick. And half my family had the flu a few months ago, lasting for several weeks.

Also, by the way, severe sunburns cause you to feel ill while you're healing. This doesn't mean you have a pre-existing problem with your immune system.

Feel free to keep posting, because we are here for you.

And try to do things that will help you relax-- go pay for a massage. You really need to get out of the house and distract yourself.

Last edited by plasva; 06-28-2009 at 10:03 PM.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
(male)

paulvarjak HB User

Thanks for your response, Plasmod.

It's been almost a week since my lymph nodes started swelling and they are still very large on both sides of my neck and on the back of my head.

I am also extremely fatigued. I sleapt most of this past weekend and find it hard not to lay down at every oppurtunity.

If anyone has anything else they can add, please, your words are appreciated.

From my research thus far, it seems like whatever is causing these symptoms it is something serious.

Last edited by paulvarjak; 06-30-2009 at 11:26 AM.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
(female)

RockofLove HB User

Hello,
I know that this is very scarry for you. We are all scarred when we notice something on our bodies that normaly isn't there. I have read all the symptoms of HIV and AIDS. It doesn't sound like you have HIV. Because I really think half of this stuff is in your head (pls don't take that the wrong way) I'm a bit of a hypocondriac myself. The swollen lymph nodes are probably a sore throat, the night sweats is probably you DREAMING and thinking about this all the time that's why. Sunburn as with the other poster can make you sick. I would try to distract yourself as much as possible, read a book watch tv, go to the lake and just to take your mind off of it. So I will pray that you are OK. write back

Old 07-01-2009, 05:45 AM   #7
(male)

paulvarjak HB User

Thanks for your words, RockofLove. I've read about the symptoms of HIV also. But unfortunately a lot of this stuff isn't in my head.

I went to the dentist yesterday and he said that I have an infected tooth. However he mentioned that although this infected tooth may cause a swollen lymph node on the side of my neck where the infection is, it most likely would not cause swollen lymph nodes on the other side of my skull.

So the swollen glands on the back of my head and left side of my neck are most likely not cause by a tooth problem.

I have to say, writing these things out is actually helping me come to terms with the fact that something is probably seriously wrong. It's a hard fact to face, but I think it's easier with some time for it to marinate in my head.

My doctor's appointment is scheduled for Monday July 6th. Although I am considering going to a walk in clinic before then.

All replys to this thread are deeply appreciated.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #8
(female)

RockofLove HB User
Lightbulb Re: Depressed/Worried - All Symptoms of HIV

Hi Friend,

Oh love, its so hard to diagnose anything these days. I went to the ER yesterday had and EKG and Xrays of my lungs cuz i was havnig a hard time breathing. It was fine, tests negative and it turned out to be ANXIETY. I have an anxiety problem, but I didn't know it would effect me that way. Oh well Thank God i'm OK.

Now to you... I know that everything will be OK with You. God takes care of his little lambs. (i don't know if U have faith but I sure do) ... Ask and U shall receive God says. So I would pray a lot. pray from the bottom of your heart, and say I'm sorry that I've sined, and I Would love to have a second chance I'm sorry.

Really I think that YOU are right ... talking on thsee boards do help. It keeps your mind occupied and it really makes you feel a lot better.

Please write back and tell me how your doing.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:48 AM   #9
(male)

paulvarjak HB User

I went to the doctor yesterday and was diagnosed with mono. But there are a few things about this diagnosis that worry me.

The first is that I was able to look at the mono test after it had been taken, and although the control line of the test looked very full and dark red, the Test line (which shows if you are positive for mono) was a very faded, pink line, that hardly stretched across the test. This almost seemed like a false positive result too me.

Also, I've been sweating at night pretty badly, and this only seems to be a rare symptom of mono. And my girlfriend has not shown any symptoms of mono although we have kissed a considerable amount in the last few weeks/month.

I was prescribed an antibiotic and steriod pack for the swelling of the lymph nodes in my neck. I started this medication yesterday and I will keep this thread updated with my progress.

Anyone with thoughts on this, trust that your words will be appreciated.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:59 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

plasva HB User

Hi,
Trust the mono test... the quality control lines are made to be visible. The testing line on is not always as dark, but any visible line is considered a positive. (You should see the discussions about barely-visible pink lines on the pregnancy boards, hehe.)

As for your girlfriend having no symptoms of mono, she's probably immune due to having had it at a younger age.

As for night sweats, those definitely could be caused by anxiety, even though it seems it must be something more.

Practice safe sex until you get your HIV results, but also realize how easy it is to take the symptoms of an infected tooth and mono and decide it's HIV. Any one of us could do the same, but try not to worry unless there's a reason to worry.

Last edited by plasva; 07-04-2009 at 01:02 AM.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:35 AM   #11
(female)

RockofLove HB User

Hey, Just read your last message...whoo its Mono... Which is a good thing. Just take the meds taht Dr prescribed 2 you and hope you feel better. I wouldn't have sex w/ your g/f until you know your results. But hope you feel a lot better. Night sweats could be your anxiety or it could be the mono...I'm still praying for you dear.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:37 AM   #12
(male)

GroinPainInCali HB User

Hey bud, I'm willing to bet its something simple that is causing your symptoms. The fact that you have only done the "deed" bareback a handfull of times is in and of itself, quite telling: Not sure of the exact statistifs on this (and most certainly not a reason to forgoe condom protection), but I'm pretty sure the chances of a man contracting HIV through "normal" hetero sexual activity is kind of slim. Woman are at much greater risk, for reasons that are obvious if you think about the mechanics of sex.

There are other ways to inflame your lymphnodes, some more sinister, some very tame. If you want to fan the spark of paranoia within you, check a thing called symptom checker, and use nightsweats (diaphoresis), swollen lymph nodes, and severe fatigue. You'll come across another type of immune disease. My point here is realy to say that those symptoms are all easily explained away by other issues you are currently experiencing (simple tooth decay, stress, sunbiurn etc) enlarged lymph nodes just meanbthat your lymph system is working, and doing its job.

Take the advice of the responder who suggested.a.massage.... in fact take your gal with you, relax have dinner, cuddle up on the couch, and watch a movie. if you do have HIV, there will plenty of time to kvel.

Let that in which you have no controll, go ~ my bet is you will be laughing about all the worry and time you have spent already: -)
Depressed, Stressed, Worried, And Paniked

Closed Thread