It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
(female)

dreamsleeper HB User
concerned

My Aunt collapsed a week ago while she was at work. She was flown to a major hostpital. They thought she had a stroke, turns out it wasn't a stroke. Few days later, the doctor told my mom she was HIV+. My Aunt has not been in our lives very much and has avoided us over the years. She has been in a series of awful relationships. She has no family except my mom and my other Aunt. My mom and my other Aunt are in charge of her medical care because my Aunt is STILL unresponsive. My questions are not getting answered online via web searches so I thought I might try the real experts: those who are going through it. Im very worried about my Aunt. She has a tcell count of 60, encepalitis, TB, herpes, MRSA, thrush, DVT in her leg, she also had a pulmonary embolism and possibably pneumonia. She is on a feeding tube and she was just moved out of the trauma center at the hospital. I went to visit her because I wanted her to know how much I love her NO matter what. She didn't seem to even recognize me. Can anyone tell if she is at the end of this? We have been trying to put the peices together. I think she was in denial about possibably having HIV and let it go untreated. Who does that anymore? All she had to do was get treated and she would be fine today.....Who knows how long she has had it, but really I don't care. I just want to know what to expect. Will she pull through? Can anyone help me understand what she is going through and what will happen? Is her situation bad?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
(female)

dreamsleeper HB User
Re: concerned

OK, no one has answered my post and thats okay. I don't really expect anyone to at this point. I am just concerned about my Aunt. I think I have resolved it in my heart that she is at the end. BUT, I feel very strongly in saying that I feel she would have lived a long life if she had gotten tested and gotten on the medication. She didn't know she had it. She was in denial. This is a story of WHY people need to be tested. We need to face what is out there. We need to be people who are proactive. If you get tested and find out it is positive, please please please get treated. It is NOT a death sentence anymore. Its not a huge deal, if you get on the right meds. My Aunt was in denial. Please don't be like that. You could end up like her, if you don't get the correct treatment. Please, to any of you who might read this, please get tested and get on the meds. Everything will be fine if you do. She is suffering because she didn't want to face it or treat it.......

Old 10-06-2009, 07:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

coping63 HB User
Re: concerned

HI Chicka..

I don;t know what to say, sounds like your Aunt has multible infections which could have been kept under control if she would have seen a doctor earlier.. There is always a chance she will pull through this but the damage is already done to her body, and her brain.. It will be a long hard road for her and I would expect that she will not fully recover ( I am so sorry) I know this is hard for you to see her in this condition and ask WHY, did she let ot go that long, with all the help and medical techniology today. I can not answer this for you, sometimes people just get to a point where they just don't care, depression may have played a part, sounds like she tried to compensate for something that was missing in her life by getting involved with relationships that were not good for her... (my opinon) and sometimes when you go down a path and you know you can't turn it around, it makes you self detructive.. I am so so sorry, I can not tell you the OUTCOME, hope it is a good one and there is a lot of medicine and therpy so with faith it may turn out good.. You are a loving and caring person and your Aunt is blessed you are there for her.................. Take Care and best wishes to you and your family.............

Closed Thread