It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
(female)

youngNdepressed HB User
So many symptoms I stop counting!

Like most people on this thread, I am a typical case of worried scared and depressed over everything I am going through.

I am 20 years old, had unprotected sex last year in aug 2009 since then the first thing I noticed was a swollen lymph in my neck, then a sore throat, and lastly some pelvic pain and my doc says I have sinusitis too. I had a test done in Nov. 2009 since I was worried out my mind. I beleive from what I hear that theres a 90 day window period, so i tested at that mark. I was negative, thank god. However it is now march and my symptoms are getting worse, my whole tongue is white (could be thrush?) , dry mouth and headaches, feeling nauseaus on and off. UTI infections, rashes on my legs and elbows (minor but still there).

I have read many threads here and decided to post, I dont want to be one of those annoying ppl on this thread that just continue to re -post the same thing. so I will take any advice, help suggestions or encouragement I can get with much appreciation. I am really so scared and feel alone.

my question is, is it possible to test negative after 90 days and then this could all be false? My doctors cannot give any explanation to what is going on Yet from what I read I hear this is very accurate after 90 days/3 months?

Thank you to any that can help me....I am really trying to stay in good cheers, just so hard with all these new symptoms....

Last edited by youngNdepressed; 03-21-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
(female)

freebitchX HB User
Re: So many symptoms I stop counting!

Hi, first of all thank you very much for taking the time to read my comment and replying. Yes, you are right i should be as brave as what you were and just take the test but I'm sure you understand how worried I am. Its good news that your test results came back negative. If they are negative then the chances are you do not have HIV. Good Luck with your second test results and for what its worth I'm sure you'll be fine Best wishes to you for the future whatever the outcome is. Take care x

Old 03-23-2010, 06:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

ok, I had no symptoms believe it or not, until the day after I tested. Then my lymph nodes swelled, I had mild flu like symptoms, and my mouth developed several lesions inside. Now, I had been eating a lot of citrus fruit, i'm pregnant and for a while there it was all I wanted. Tody I know this is why my mouth broke out. At the time, I was a little frightened over it. You symptoms could just be anxiety related, or they could be something completely different. The symptoms described for hiv are so vague, they could mean any of hundreds of things from a simple vitamin deficiency to cancer. I mean it's really all over the board. And I'm not suggesting you have cancer so dont even go there. But really, it could be anything and I really wouldnt worry so badly about it. As far as what made me go get tested, there wasnt any one thing. I knew I had to. I just had to straighten myself out and make a new set of priorities before I was able to go through with it. For me, I have to allways look at the worst case scenario first, before I can move forward. Once I am able to accept the worst, and have a plan, and know that no matter what I am gonig to be ok, then I pick myself back up and move on. My mother allways says this is crazy because I waste too much time when allmost allways everything turns out great. But Its just who I am. And for me, that's really all there was to it. I accepted that it was a possibility, and made some small arangements in case I was. Like I said, in the meanwhile, I forced myself to do everything I would have normally done any way. This proved to me that if I did test positive, I would still be able to have a normal life, be a normal person, because the only thing that would have changed would have been my knowing. But not who I am. So I did what I would have anyway, and made some much better decisions for my life, and then went and got tested. In the end I was fine. But I'm glad I went through it all. I learned a lot. And I will live a better life as a result, so that can never be considered a bad thing.
Melissa

Old 03-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngNdepressed View Post

my question is, is it possible to test negative after 90 days and then this could all be false? My doctors cannot give any explanation to what is going on Yet from what I read I hear this is very accurate after 90 days/3 months?
Hi there,

Some people argue that this is the case; I on the other hand believe that a test at 90 days is absolute. I have yet to hear of anybody get tested negative at ninety days and then test positive later. I assure you the ninety day test is as accurate as it gets and I personally have seen nothing that contradicts this, to the best of my knowledge there is not a single confirmed case.

As for your symptoms, please stop examining yourself and looks for ways to confirm your fears. A blood test trumps any symptoms you many have. The symptoms that you read on the net are generalized lists compiled by HIV patients but they are not absolute. Many, many people who contract HIV have no symptoms, many have some. The point is that irrespective of how many symptoms you may or may not have they is never a reliable way of determining anybodies HIV status. On top of this the listed symptoms of HIV are quite common ailments that can and often are nothing whatsoever to do with HIV.

Please take care, regards Kevin.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

I agree. It's really pretty useless sitting around worrying every single day about it. It's much better just to get the test. You can allways go somewhere that offers rapid tests if you dont want to wait days or weeks for a result. If you dont have one in your area, I would find the closest and drive there for it. You could also get one of the at home tests too. However, I didnt consider this a very viable option for me. i was afraid of misinterpreting results, or seeing something that wasnt really there thus prolonging and adding to my anxiety, or worse yet, convincing myself there was nothing there when in fact there really was. I really wanted a professional to review my results. But just so you know, it is an option. Either way, you will never know for sure until you get tested, and that nagging feeling will never go away until you know. So you might as well bite the bullet and just get it done. Alot of us have been there so trust me, we are not unsympathetic to your cause. Just go get the test.
Melissa

Old 03-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
(female)

youngNdepressed HB User

Hi Freeb., thanks for your support and also, just to let you know, that I have set up an appt. on monday to get a test done thru my gyn for all std testing. Very scary, but i realize I have to cause knowing my status is better then not knowing, cause I am not able to move on with my life right now because of this hanging over my head. Please take into consideration that just because you had many partners doesnt mean that you couldve gotten something. Melanie (justmel30) herself said that she was with someone that was with many partners and she did not catch anything. If it wasnt for all my symptoms, I would seriously not be so worked up. But, trust me the first test you take will atleast give you some peace of mind, I just need another one to give me more peace of mind. lol

Melanie, thanks for all your advice. Today all day I thought of what you said. About making the decision to just live life no matter what my results will be. I went shopping, and called my family, went to dinner with my friends. I had you in mind thinking that no matter what I had to live life, and stop letting this consume me. You have no idea how much that really helped me....to just keep going no matter what. As hard as it is!

Kevin, I've read many of your post on this board and you are simply an incredible person for sticking around here and giving others advice. Thank you for your encouragement and imparting your knowledge. I have read many post of people here that dont want to beleive thier test results and I hate to be one of those people that are simply paranoid and wont take the hard facts for an answer. I need to take another restest to put this all behind me.

Again everyone, thanks for any support. Today for the first time in a few weeks I had a good day......and it wasnt because I had a retest done, just cause I have to keep going and not allow this to eat me up. But again this is due to all your support here on the board too.

Closed Thread