It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
(male)

scaredscared HB User
should i get tested one more time?

I'm 25 male. I had a one-time unprotected sexual encounter on Dec 16. It's the only unprotected encounter I have ever had other than a girlfriend I had at that point.

A couple weeks later I got swollen glands and a severely swollen tonsil -- a mystery illness that the doctor could not diagnose and antibiotics did not cure. It went away with time after about 2-3 weeks. I had never had swollen glands before and the timing of it made me worried it was ARS.

I tested negative on Jan 14 - exactly four weeks after the encounter and exactly 18 days after the symptoms appeared. I've read tests are close to 90% accurate after four weeks and 100% accurate 17 days after what would be ARS symptoms appear.

The negative test was a huge relief, but how sure can I be about this test? I want to make sure I have all my information right before I assume its reliable.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User
Re: should i get tested one more time?

What you read was partially correct. It is true that HIV tests are around 90% accurate at 4 weeks. I have never heard anything about tests being 100% accurate 17 days after symptoms appearing. However, people who catch HIV will test positive 7 days after the appearance of ARS symptoms, so your negative result means that the symptoms that you have experienced were not due to HIV.

Doctors who are educated about HIV usually consider an HIV test 6-8 weeks after an encounter completely reliable. However, the recommendation by public health agencies (CDC, FDA) is to have an antibody test 12 weeks after a risky encounter, so if you want to be completely safe then you can have one more antibody test at any time and consider it 100% reliable. You should expect the test to also be negative.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
(male)

scaredscared HB User

I haven't had the chance to get tested for the second time since I am currently in between jobs. Thankfully, my concerns have been eased though since I started this thread.

But in the last month I have had an outbreak of about 5-6 canker sores in my mouth. I've had them before, just not so frequently. When I looked up what it might be caused by, I read some things saying that canker sores are common in HIV infected people. Is this true? Or is it just thrush that is the HIV symptom? I know it's a stretch, but after having my little scare, anything that connects back to HIV again kinda freaks me out a little. Any input on this?

Thanks.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:02 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

missingyou HB Usermissingyou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredscared View Post
I haven't had the chance to get tested for the second time since I am currently in between jobs. Thankfully, my concerns have been eased though since I started this thread.

But in the last month I have had an outbreak of about 5-6 canker sores in my mouth. I've had them before, just not so frequently. When I looked up what it might be caused by, I read some things saying that canker sores are common in HIV infected people. Is this true? Or is it just thrush that is the HIV symptom? I know it's a stretch, but after having my little scare, anything that connects back to HIV again kinda freaks me out a little. Any input on this?

Thanks.
Chronic canker sores can be a sign of someone with a weakened immune, but at the same time their are also many more different reasons(that are also much more common) you could get them. Keep in mind a weakened immune system can be attributed to ton of other things than just HIV alone. Autoimmune disorders, and other definciencys, to name a couple

You could try using mouthwash or brushing more often, as some think bacteria or a reaction to the bacteria can the cause.

You could also have vitamin or mineral deficiency`s ..
If your mouth is really dry that might make it more prone..

Other causes are from allergies or trauma in your mouth...

Last edited by missingyou; 04-21-2010 at 02:05 AM.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
(male)

scaredscared HB User

Considering my risk, how concerned should I be about these canker sores?

1 in 1000 odds of the girl being positive to begin with, 1 in 500 chance of trasmitting and then 1 in 10 chance that the four-week negative test should have been positive. If my math adds up, it's 1 in 2,500,000 odds. Is that really true?

I had come to peace with my concerns over this, but the cankers sores make me think maybe I should get tested again just to be sure. Then I think of the odds and I start to think I'm being silly.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

Your statistics are spot on but your math is slightly off. The overall chance that you are infected is 1 in 5 million with your negative test result. Canker sores mean nothing with respect to gauging one's HIV status- test results mean everything. I suggest that you test one more time at 12 week for a conclusive result- expect a negative.

Closed Thread