It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
(male)

scarredman HB User
Worried-Scared - please help

Hello !
Please, sorry for long message.
This is my story:

I have had protected sex with prostitute on April, 3. As I said, the sex was with condom, but 4-5 hours before the sex, I've shaved some muff at root and down part of my penis, without any visible skin injury or bleeding.
When I got home I started to think what I did and started to worry and thinking about what maybe be happening. Two days later (April, 5.) I developed low grade fever 37.2 C (99F) and mild sore throat. I was scared. The fever is present only during the day in range 37.0-37.3 C (98.6-99.2 F). After 10:00PM approximatively, it stops and I feel better (the temperature is in range 36.3-36.7 C). From 10:00 or 11:00 AM, the fever backs. Also, I sometimes feel my hand or some part of body are very hot. I developed some sort of dizziness after two days and feel little lack of power in my knees and legs. I think that my tongue is white (not sure) and little rough. Sometimes I have strange cold-sweats. This condition lasts from April, 5. (it is almost 12 days). I must mention that I have huge huge stress, I'm constantly thinking about this, don't eat and lost some kilos. I could not say that my lack of appetite is bound to this, because, when I feel little relaxed, I feel little hungry. I don't know did I developed rush, but I spotted one little red raised spot on my left arm.

On April 13, I did standard blood test, just to see what is the current blood state. Everything was OK, but I noticed some value that also scared me. My lymphocytes count is still in normal range, but it is a half of a count that I had before 6 months (now 1.2 x 10^3/mm3 with 20%; was before 6m 2.6 x 10^3/mm3 with 45%) (normal range is between 0.5 and 5.0).

I didn't develop any big rash, diarrhea, swollen lymph nodes.

What do you think, could this be a sign of some ARS or early HIV symptoms? What are the chances of me getting HIV? Can lymphocytes count down only after 10 days? Or could this be a projection of my very huge scare, stress and anxiety?

Thank you !
Best regards !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User
Re: Worried-Scared - please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarredman View Post
What do you think, could this be a sign of some ARS or early HIV symptoms?
No.

Quote:
What are the chances of me getting HIV?
Zero.

Quote:
Or could this be a projection of my very huge scare, stress and anxiety?
YOU BETCHA.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:31 AM   #3
(male)

scarredman HB User

Thank you for your reply! I really hope you are right. But, my scare is very huge.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:40 AM   #4
(male)

pozman67 HB User

New to the board, but read your post... Have been HIV positive for 20years, and have been "FULL BLOWN AIDS" for 18 years, and have yet to have a "so called" symptom. First and foremost though, when in doubt, go get tested. Do it annoynmously, but early detection is a must with HIV. Mind you do I think your positive after reading your post, no. But go get tested. I have found that most times when people are worried about HIV, and specially in groups, and/or message boards they aren't always telling/posting the whole story. If that is or isn't the case with you it makes no difference. Put YOUR mind at ease and go get tested....

Concerned Human...

Old 04-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
(male)

scarredman HB User

Hello friends !

Three days before (April 16) I did ELFA-antigen immune-enzyme test (it was 14 days after my possible exposure). Today, I picked the results and it was negative (non-reactive). Thanks God.

What do you think ? Can this test be reliable for this short period of time ? (I've read somewhere that ELFA cuts down the window period to 9 days after exposure.)

My concerns are still present, especially because I developed some type of muscle twitching in last 3 days. I don't know is it in relation with my stress/anxiety that are huge or something else ?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

I suggest that you accept the results; the accuracy really doesn't matter because you were never at risk.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
(male)

scarredman HB User

Again, my anxiety kills me.

I did another HIV test, after 31 days of my potential exposure. The test was mini-Vidas DUO HIV Ag/Ab test. Thanks God, it was negative (non-reactive). The doctor who did the test, said to me that I can rely on this result, because the manufacturer's recommendation is 28 days after potential exposure. But, my mind is playing very disaster game with me...

I'm still concern about window period and what if I did not develop detectable amount of antigens or antibodies during this first 4 weeks. And millions of "what if" questions...

I feel much better now, but I still have panic attacks and I'm constantly thinking about my situation. I don't know is it possible for ARS symptoms to show during some days, then disappear, and show again after few days (for example neck pain, watery stool (some days I have normal stool and one day I have watery), raised body temperature to 37.1C (98.8F) for one or two hour, etc).

I did again complete blood test, with liver enzymes and thyroid hormones, CRP and sedimentation and everything is OK and in normal ranges.

Please, advise me !

Thank you all in advance !!!

Old 05-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
(male)

damone HB User

You are fine. Move on.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
(male)

asano HB User

Hi scarredman, I'm new to the forum, I feel little better after reading your post.

your situation and state of mind is very similar to mine. had a protected sex with a sex worker for the first time because of a stupid friend. I have no idea if my condom broke because it was dark. I took a shower before I slept, then when i woke up, i feel a very mild soar throat. didn't treat it, but it became worst after 5 days, I'm getting signs of mild flu, then i developed diarrhea on the 6th day. today is my 9th day, feeling better now, spitting out phlegm, diarrhea feeling is there, but I think it is much better. didn't actualy keep on pooping because I followed instructions how to control it.

though my anxiety is killing me... I'm living in a third world country, I'm not sure if we do have early testing in my small town. feeling exactly like scarredman.

my mind is playing very well...

Old 05-13-2010, 01:14 AM   #10
(male)

scarredman HB User

Hi.
@Asano: I understand how you are feel. Just try to be calm and wait at least 2 weeks before you did your first test. I suggest you to try to find HIV DUO test, because I've read that it is extremely accurate only 28 days after possible exposure.

Also, I will have another test at April 17. Will post the result here.

Best regards to all of you !!!

Old 05-13-2010, 06:00 AM   #11
(male)

asano HB User

hi scarredman, thanks on your input. I thought my flu is gone, well I barely catch phlegm, but right now, I'm feeling a little dizzy, and feeling cold and sweating, I think I'm running a little fever. this anxiety is killing me. I don't think we have that HIV DUO test around here. living on the third world.

I'm considering talking to a doctor tommorow, I just need to hear what he has to say.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Quote:
Hello !
Please, sorry for long message.
This is my story:

I have had protected sex with prostitute on April, 3. As I said, the sex was with condom, but 4-5 hours before the sex, I've shaved some muff at root and down part of my penis, without any visible skin injury or bleeding.
When I got home I started to think what I did and started to worry and thinking about what maybe be happening. Two days later (April, 5.) I developed low grade fever 37.2 C (99F) and mild sore throat. I was scared. The fever is present only during the day in range 37.0-37.3 C (98.6-99.2 F). After 10:00PM approximatively, it stops and I feel better (the temperature is in range 36.3-36.7 C). From 10:00 or 11:00 AM, the fever backs. Also, I sometimes feel my hand or some part of body are very hot. I developed some sort of dizziness after two days and feel little lack of power in my knees and legs. I think that my tongue is white (not sure) and little rough. Sometimes I have strange cold-sweats. This condition lasts from April, 5. (it is almost 12 days). I must mention that I have huge huge stress, I'm constantly thinking about this, don't eat and lost some kilos. I could not say that my lack of appetite is bound to this, because, when I feel little relaxed, I feel little hungry. I don't know did I developed rush, but I spotted one little red raised spot on my left arm.

On April 13, I did standard blood test, just to see what is the current blood state. Everything was OK, but I noticed some value that also scared me. My lymphocytes count is still in normal range, but it is a half of a count that I had before 6 months (now 1.2 x 10^3/mm3 with 20%; was before 6m 2.6 x 10^3/mm3 with 45%) (normal range is between 0.5 and 5.0).

I didn't develop any big rash, diarrhea, swollen lymph nodes.

What do you think, could this be a sign of some ARS or early HIV symptoms? What are the chances of me getting HIV? Can lymphocytes count down only after 10 days? Or could this be a projection of my very huge scare, stress and anxiety?

Thank you !
Best regards !
Hi there,

Irrespective of the hair around your penis, your risk was extremely low. You had safe sex and you do you not know the ladies status.

Extremely low to zero risk, please buddy stop torturing yourself.

Regards Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 05-13-2010 at 03:22 PM.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Hi Kevin !
I hope you are right. I'm trying to understand that it was low risk (everyone said it to me), but... again but. The main problem is because I cannot believe that all these symptoms I have, are related to my stress and anxiety and it is very huge problem for me.
It is a common delusion for people to think they have had symptoms of acute HIV infection after a non-exposure event with a prostitute. For example, in your first post you reported that you had a fever in the range of 99 degress F. That is completely normal body temperature- fever does not begin until body temp exceeds 100 F. When people think they put themselves at risk for HIV, they put their bodies under a distorted magnifying glass. Things that are normally regarded as insignificant are perceived as manifestations of infection.

The DUO test is extremely accurate at the time that you took it, and as your doctor said it is considered conclusive at that time. The accuracy that you are gaining by additional testing is not significant. If you are having trouble accepting repeated assurances that you do not have HIV, you may want to consider speaking with a therapist. I suggest this out of compassion.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #14
(male)

scarredman HB User

Joggen, thank you very much for your reply. It makes me little calm in this very difficult moment.

I'm now concerned about one new symptom (probably I should write "symptom", but...), of course by my own examination of myself. It is OHL - oral hairy leukoplakia.

Iím not sure, but I think that it was about several days or maybe during the second week of my sexual intercourse, I developed or spotted (maybe I did not notice it before) one white hardened slightly raised thick line on my left inner cheek (1,5-2cm in length) and one small little rough white lesion on my right inner cheek. Also, I have it now and today I went to a dentist. The dentist told me that it is bound to the irritation caused by small bites with my teeth (she said that I constantly bite myself Ė my cheeks). But, I cannot remember did I have it before. It is sometimes almost unnoticeable and sometimes is visible and I can feel it with my tongue. But, Iím scared that it is oral hairy leukoplakia (OHL).
Just to notice: I have no any changes on the lateral sides of my tongue, where all pictures I googled show. Also, maybe my tongue is little white, but the dentist said to me that everything is normal with my tongue.

I've read somewhere that OHL may be an early sign of HIV infection, but also someone says that it is one of the opportunistic infections in the later stages of the HIV (combined with Epstein-Barr virus). So, I'm confused.

But, this is enough to make me very stressful and anxious again (extreme level).

Today, I did a laboratory test for Candida. The sample was taken from my tongue. I will pick up the result tomorrow and will post it here.

Also, I have again today little increased body temperature (99F) for a few hours. I feel little dizzy and have some burning sensations.

I'm so nervous, especially because I lost hope for my Monday HIV test (on May 17). This potential OHL (that I've just diagnosed - I know that this sounds very stupid, but it is possessed me) has started to torture me again.

This will be very difficult night and very difficult weekend.

Thank you all again !

Regards !

P.S. I decided to do my Monday's HIV DUO test at different laboratory than the first one did (after 4 weeks), just to see what the result will be. I talked with the laboratories and the first one test, that I had after 4 weeks was done by BioMerieux mini-Vidas instrument (France made). In this second laboratory, where I plan to do Monday's test (May 17), the test will be performed by Roche instrument (Swiss made) (it will be DUO test again, but on another instrument).

P.P.S Probably, you may conclude by my above P.S, how far I go and what my stress and anxiety do to me.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I developed or spotted (maybe I did not notice it before) one white hardened slightly raised thick line on my left inner cheek (1,5-2cm in length) and one small little rough white lesion on my right inner cheek. Also, I have it now and today I went to a dentist. The dentist told me that it is bound to the irritation caused by small bites with my teeth (she said that I constantly bite myself Ė my cheeks). But, I cannot remember did I have it before. It is sometimes almost unnoticeable and sometimes is visible and I can feel it with my tongue. But, Iím scared that it is oral hairy leukoplakia (OHL)..
Dentists are trained to diagnose diseases of the oral cavity, including OHL. If you had it the dentist would have recognized it. What you describe is completely normal. When I had HIV anxiety I did the same thing that you are doing- I searched my mouth for signs of infection and freaked out when I saw a line on my inner cheek. I assure you that is a completely normal feature of your mouth.

Please stop trying to diagnose yourself by examining yourself and looking at pictures on the Internet. I can tell you from personal experience that this will only make your anxiety worse. You are not a trained medical professional and you will inevitably misinterpret what you find.

I recently posted a blog entry to illustrate the fallacy of using the Internet to diagnose yourself. Not sure if it has shown up yet but I suggest that you read it.

Closed Thread