It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
(male)

littlelionman HB User
im really worried i have hiv from oral sex

heres my story, 6 weeks ago i gave another man oral sex, he didnt ejaculate in my mouth, 2 weeks after i got a fever and headaches which lasted about 4 days and then i started looking at symptoms on the internet and started to panick and feeling worse, iv had a bad stomach and diarrhea ever since with muscle aches and feeling tired, i had a hiv duo fast test at 4 weeks a the terrence higgins trust which was negative and a blood test at the gum clinic at 5 weeks negative, but im still convinced im hiv positive and going out of my mind, do these test at this stage mean anything, please helps

Last edited by littlelionman; 04-22-2010 at 01:24 PM.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User
Re: im really worried i have hiv from oral sex

Panic is a terrible thing and can easily convince you that you are ill when you are not. The TH Trust does not do these tests without being sure the results are valid. Hopefully you have learnt to be more careful in future.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Hi there,

yes, your tests do mean something. They confirm that your HIV status is negative. Oral sex is classed as very low risk, some people actually believe, myself included, it is zero risk. The risk you have been exposed to is almost zero; your test results at this time confirm this. Your results give you a clear and precise indication of your status based on your risk, which was in effect zero.

Please, PLEASE, stop freaking yourself out; please stop punching into Google “HIV symptoms", please stop examining yourself in order to confirm your fears. Symptoms alone are never a great way to determine anybody's HIV status, blood tests are. You have had two, they came back negative, you are HIV negative. By all means have a confirmation test at three months; it is very unlikely to change because to the best of my knowledge there as not been a single confirmed case of HIV being transmitted through oral sex alone.

Please relax, regards Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 04-23-2010 at 02:12 AM. Reason: lots of typos

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
ailedBK (08-12-2012)
Old 04-23-2010, 03:43 AM   #4
(female)

DesertMeow HB User

[QUOTE=blokecalledkev;4231238]
some people actually believe, myself included, it is zero risk....to the best of my knowledge there as not been a single confirmed case of HIV being transmitted through oral sex alone.
QUOTE]

Kevin, I would like to request more information. How is it you think the risk of oral sex is close to zero (or virtually zero), since there is live virus in the pre-ejaculatory fluids and semen of an HIV positive man? This fluid would then be coming into contact with the mucus membranes of the mouth of the person performing oral.

I am of the understanding that a mucus membrane, even with no visible cuts and scratches, is not enough layers of skin to block entrance of the virus into the bloodstream, because the HIV virus can release proteins that bind to and damage mucous membrane cells, and thus the virus can get through this thin layer of cells and into the bloodstream. Furthermore, scratches and such are not always visible.

Now presumably, it would take a decent number of copies of the virus for this type of transmission to occur, and so the chances with oral sex and NO ejaculation would therefore be lower (due to fewer copies of the virus in pre-ejac. fluid compare to semen), but why are you do you think the likelihood is "zero?"

If you think what I've written is wrong, please explain WHY in detail (if you don't mind), because I just can't wrap my mind around the idea that-- if the person has the virus--oral sex with them is almost zero risk.

To the original poster, I don't think you're at high risk, because you don't even know this person's HIV status, so he is probably negative, and even if not, you only had one possible exposure. Even though it's not winter, there are still plenty of colds going around, so that could account for your symptoms. Definitely stress could also. Plus, you had a negative test at 5 weeks, so that is a really good sign. Please just try not to worry, think of other things, and get a final test at 12 weeks. At that point, ask the clinic if they want you to test further, since they are the medical professionals in charge of your care. I agree with saying you're at low risk, but not zero.

We are here for you, okay?

Last edited by DesertMeow; 04-23-2010 at 03:45 AM.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:11 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Hi there,

What you say is correct, there is a theoretical risk of transmission all be it small. I base my opinion and it is only my opinion on the fact that, to date I have not seen or heard of a single case of transmision via oral sex alone.

Yes, the theoretical risk is there, all be it very small, to date I have yet to see this risk be bore out in reality.

Naturally I base my opinions on what I have read and of course if you or anybody can point me to a single confirmed case of HIV being transmitted via oral sex alone I will willingly amend my opinions and offer advice based on fact rather than the theory of. Naturally it could be argued that a theoretical risk invalidates my opinion that there is no risk but I would believe that no documented cases could actually invalidate the theoretical risk. A theory is only as good as the facts that back it and with the theory that HIV can be transmitted via oral sex there appears to be nothing to back it up.The very small theoretical risk possed by oral sex, to the best of my knowledge ( and I would be more than willing to concede I am wrong if shown to be) as not got a single confirmed case from anywhere in world to prove the theory valid.

If there is a documented, confirmed case I have not come across it and I will state quite clearly on this forum that I was wrong to offer such advice and will gradly retract it.

Regards Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 04-23-2010 at 06:11 AM. Reason: lots of typos

Old 04-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
(male)

littlelionman HB User

hi guys and thanks for your messages, heres my update.
due to me feeling so ill i also went to the doctors just incase its not hiv, i never told him about the hiv scare and just said i was feeling ill and he ordered me to give some regular blood tests, i rang today for the results and everything was fine except my white blood cell were a little bit low so iv started to panic all over again, and my glands and starting to feel in bit tender. i rang the tht and asked them about the fast test at 4 weeks and they said that antibodies dont show up that early so i will need to go back in tuesday for another test which will be at 6 weeks, and the gum clinic said the same thing about the 5 weeks test, im really really worried. i have two wonderful children and i dont want them to burie they father because of hiv, im just praying that all this is to do with my anxiety and worry and not hiv, im giving up sex after this im not strong enought, lol
regards carl

Last edited by littlelionman; 04-23-2010 at 09:10 AM.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

@ DesertMeow:

Saliva contains a variety of enzymes, antibodies, and chemical substances that inhibit microorganisms including HIV. HIV is a fragile virus that is easily damaged when it is outside of its normal environment, the interior of the body, and the mouth is considered a hostile environment for the virus because of these factors. Also, HIV cannot enter just any cell: it requires a specific combination of receptors that are only present on certain cells of the immune system. The mouth is not nearly as susceptible as the lining of the vaginal or rectum because it lacks these specific cells, unless there is an active infection.

However, the fact that there has not been a single confirmed case is far more compelling. To prove HIV can be transmitted through oral sex, one would have to identify a person who only engaged in oral sex with a confirmed positive partner since his/her last negative HIV test. One would also have to have collaborating testimony from the partner that oral sex with the only activity engaged in the relationship, and the virus from the newly infected person would have to be genotyped to match that of the partner. Despite people claiming to have been infected through oral sex, none of these cases have been scientifically confirmed in this way. And when people claim to have been infected through oral sex, most often they admit to more risky behaviors upon further questioning.

There have been studies where hundreds of serodiscordant couple that engaged in oral sex were followed for years, and HIV transmission could not be observed. The couples only engaged in protected intercourse and unprotected oral sex, and after more than 19,000 acts of oral sex, ZERO infections were reported. This by far is the best evidence that the risk from oral sex, if it is not zero, is so low that medical science cannot detect it.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
(male)

littlelionman HB User

im just praying your right and im just hoping all these symptoms are all due to aniexty and worry, and im getting confused about the fast tests as there are so many out there, some people say that the duo test at 4 weeks are as good as 100% accurate but the th trust are telling me that the test at 4 weeks dont mean anything, and due to the 3 month window period the 5 weeks test at the gum clinic dont mean anything. im so worried and cant function right, i sat at the end of a cliff yesterday crying and considering taking my own life. i just want to forward time to 3 months and put all this behind me
regards carl

Old 04-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
(male)

drlguy HB User

Well don't take your life. If you were negative and you took your life it would be lost for NOTHING. It's not worth dying when you could just wait for test results.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
(female)

DesertMeow HB User

Thanks for the detailed information, Kevin. I question it, though. May I ask where you're getting your info. about no documented cases of HIV through oral sex? The reasons you gave for it being unlikely don't make it impossible. A lot of things in medicine have not been documented, but that doesn't mean they don't EVER happen.

I would like to read about the study you mentioned, just for interests sake.

But again, not to scare the original poster over unlikely chances. I am very sorry you have to suffer and wait so long to get your final test results.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

I am sorry but your post is contradictory in terms. On one hand you accept that there is no confirmed case and then on the other hand you are asking me to prove there are no such cases. Not only is it a contradiction, it is a logical fallacy, as you know it is impossible to prove a negative. I have stated quite clearly what I believe and why, there is not a single confirmed case, what you now appear to be asking is for me to prove there is not a single case, this is the logical fallacy. This is the fallacy because to date there is no real world evidence to suggest that HIV as ever been transmitted by oral sex alone and unless you can show that there is evidence, this statement stands. On the other hand I have been very specific in what I have asked you, to provide a single case; you have not because there is not one.

Then to simply proclaim that just because it as never happened before does not mean it will ever happen simply means nothing. I have never walked on the moon before, does that mean it will ever happen? No of course not. There is a huge gulf between possibility and plausibility. Anything is possible, given the correct circumstances, but just because it is possible does not make it plausible. Nobody can state it is impossible for HIV not to be transmitted via oral sex but, given the fact there is not a single confirmed case it is reasonable to state it is highly implausible. Naturally if it EVER does happen then of course my opinion will change.

This will be my last post to you on this topic as this is not about me or you or our differing opinions. This is about the OP and the worry and anxiety caused by the act of oral sex.

The case study was offered by Joggen not me, I answered you in the most general terms and have nothing further to add to this.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:47 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelionman View Post
some people say that the duo test at 4 weeks are as good as 100% accurate but the th trust are telling me that the test at 4 weeks dont mean anything, and due to the 3 month window period the 5 weeks test at the gum clinic dont mean anything
What you were told was incorrect. I know for a fact that many HIV/STD clinics consider a DUO test at 4 weeks conclusive. The test is extremely accurate and picks up almost all infections at that time. As Kev said, that test reliably reflects your negative serostatus/no risk exposure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelionman View Post
i sat at the end of a cliff yesterday crying and considering taking my own life
Seek a mental health professional ASAP or call a suicide hotline. If you are depressed then you need to get yourself under professional care. Spending a lot of time on the computer reading up on HIV is probably going to make you feel worse, not better.

Last edited by joggen; 04-25-2010 at 10:49 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to joggen:
hivanxiety29 (12-26-2010)
Old 04-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
(male)

littlelionman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joggen View Post
What you were told was incorrect. I know for a fact that many HIV/STD clinics consider a DUO test at 4 weeks conclusive. The test is extremely accurate and picks up almost all infections at that time. As Kev said, that test reliably reflects your negative serostatus/no risk exposure.

Seek a mental health professional ASAP or call a suicide hotline. If you are depressed then you need to get yourself under professional care. Spending a lot of time on the computer reading up on HIV is probably going to make you feel worse, not better.
hi joggen, do you know if the duo test in usa is the same as in the uk? i heard that some test pick put other stds as well as hiv, the test i took in the terrence higgins trust at 4 weeks is only for hiv? im just trying to find out if all the duo tests are the same, im having another duo test tomorrow that will be 6 weeks so fingers crossed, thanks for all the replys, i will keep you updated
regards carl

Old 04-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

I was speaking of DUO tests in the UK. The DUO is not available in the U.S.

There is absolutely no point in testing again at 6 weeks considering your exposure. The DUO test reaches peak accuracy at 4 weeks due to the presence of antigen and antibody at that time. I suggest that you stop testing after your test tomorrow, which will be negative. You do not have HIV.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #15
(male)

littlelionman HB User

hello just got back from the 6 weeks test and it was negative, but was told im not out of the woods yet, but he did say in 15 years of testing he has never heard of anyone getting hiv from oral sex but cant say it dont happen. i did question him on the duo test and he said that they are using the duo test but at the moment they are only going by the antibodies because they havent been given any guildlines on the time frames of the antigen, so i need to go back in 6 weeks, which will seem like a life time, i just started a cause of tables of aniexty and depression so its up and onwards from this point on, i would like to say thanks for all the messages and if anyone finds and info on the duo tests that i might find interesting plz let me know
regards carl

Closed Thread