It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
(female)

SayJane HB User
Can these hives be hiv/std related

In September I got two bumps on my arms that looked almost like flea bites or a spider bite. They itched and when I scratched them they got red alittle. They went away after 2 days. But then a week later I just kept getting more some looking like a flea bite others like look hives. They stopped around December and January but came back again. And now my boyfriend gets them. But his are not as bad as mine. I get them everyday maybe 3 at a time. He gets them once and awhile and just one. Im worried this can because of a std or hiv.
We havent had sex in over 4 years but I gave him oral sex last July.
The reason were worried it can be hiv or std related is because he got a tattoo done 2 years ago that wasnt at a shop. Were worried it wasn't completely sterile.
So hearing all this can these hives be because of a atd or hiv. I feel like it's to many what ifs but the reason I never went and got my hives looked at is because Im scared out my mind it's going to be a std.
Oh also in August he went and got checked he had no std's but he didnt get checked for hiv.

Last edited by SayJane; 05-02-2010 at 08:32 AM.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User
Re: Can these hives be hiv/std related

Your bumps have nothing to do with HIV. HIV can produce a rash in recently infected individuals, but only after 10 days - 4 weeks after exposure- not off and on for several months. Also, the rash that HIV produces does not itch. Your bumps sounds like they are allergy related.

Despite what you may have heard, receiving a tattoo is not a risk for HIV, even if it was made with a homemade tat gun using unsterilized needles. Nobody in the history of the HIV epidemic has ever been infected through receiving a tattoo, and from a purely theoretical perspective tattooing is not likely to transmit HIV anyway. Transmission from needles typically requires a deep injury with a hollow, large bore needle filled with contaminated blood, which only occurs in healthcare settings. HIV would not survive for very long on a tattoo needle, and the needles probably don't go deep enough for transmission to occur anyway.

Transmission of hepatitis from unsafe tattooing practices is much more of a concern, so if your boyfriend is concerned about sterility issues he may want to consider testing for that. The CDC recommends that almost everybody get an HIV test at least one time in their lives, so it wouldn't hurt to get tested just for peace of mind, but it is not necessary for either of you from a risk perspective based on what you have posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

missingyou HB Usermissingyou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayJane View Post
In September I got two bumps on my arms that looked almost like flea bites or a spider bite. They itched and when I scratched them they got red alittle. They went away after 2 days. But then a week later I just kept getting more some looking like a flea bite others like look hives. They stopped around December and January but came back again. And now my boyfriend gets them. But his are not as bad as mine. I get them everyday maybe 3 at a time. He gets them once and awhile and just one. Im worried this can because of a std or hiv.
We havent had sex in over 4 years but I gave him oral sex last July.
The reason were worried it can be hiv or std related is because he got a tattoo done 2 years ago that wasnt at a shop. Were worried it wasn't completely sterile.
So hearing all this can these hives be because of a atd or hiv. I feel like it's to many what ifs but the reason I never went and got my hives looked at is because Im scared out my mind it's going to be a std.
Oh also in August he went and got checked he had no std's but he didnt get checked for hiv.
What you describe doesn't sound related to HIV.

First of the hiv rash isn't itchy that sounds more like an allergy. Not to mention the rash comes up during the acute phase. Considering this is your only symptom, and the only thing you're worried about is the tattoo parlor tools not being properly sanitized.

You haven't had sex in 4 years and you're still with the person thats a bit of a head scratcher.. which even futher reduces the likelyhood... since oral is a very very low risk and requries cuts or bleeding **** or some other exposed area.

I understand since both of you are getting these bumps it seems a bit more odd than usual but the reality is red bumps and allergys are pretty common, alone their of little meaning.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

missingyou HB Usermissingyou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joggen View Post
Your bumps have nothing to do with HIV. HIV can produce a rash in recently infected individuals, but only after 10 days - 4 weeks after exposure- not off and on for several months. Also, the rash that HIV produces does not itch. Your bumps sounds like they are allergy related.

Despite what you may have heard, receiving a tattoo is not a risk for HIV, even if it was made with a homemade tat gun using unsterilized needles. Nobody in the history of the HIV epidemic has ever been infected through receiving a tattoo, and from a purely theoretical perspective tattooing is not likely to transmit HIV anyway. Transmission from needles typically requires a deep injury with a hollow, large bore needle filled with contaminated blood, which only occurs in healthcare settings. HIV would not survive for very long on a tattoo needle, and the needles probably don't go deep enough for transmission to occur anyway.

Transmission of hepatitis from unsafe tattooing practices is much more of a concern, so if your boyfriend is concerned about sterility issues he may want to consider testing for that. The CDC recommends that almost everybody get an HIV test at least one time in their lives, so it wouldn't hurt to get tested just for peace of mind, but it is not necessary for either of you from a risk perspective based on what you have posted.
funny your post wasn't up when I was typing my response we made alot of similar points... Yea Hep is a possibility but it isn't too likely.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
(female)

Freakedoutm HB User

Can you tell me what the replies were on your post. I cannot see them.

Closed Thread