It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
(female)

Worring HB User
Question Another Question Regarding Risk... Worried

Another "what's my risk" question... I have really started worrying myself over this. I have a test scheduled for tomorrow but the results will not be immediate and I am having trouble going about my daily routine because of the worry.

I am a female in my late 20s. From 2001 to 2004, I had unprotected vaginal sex about 5-7 times, each time with a different person. I was attending college at the time and most of the men I was with were also college students although a couple were local guys. All were in their 20s. They were all heterosexual, non-intravenous drug users. I suppose I don't know 100% about that last part, but I would be surprised if any of them did inject drugs or had sexual relationships with men. I do not know any of their HIV statuses... I assume HIV negative but, of course, I don't know that for sure.

It has now been over 6 years since I was with the last of these men. I don't have any definite symptoms but I do have fungus or some other type of issue with my 2 big toe nails. I have just recently realized that I may never have had an HIV test up to this point. (I do have a child and I wonder if I was tested while pregnant? I can't remember, but is this a common test that would have been done?)

Are there any hard numbers that someone could share with me regarding my level of risk?

THANK YOU

Last edited by Worring; 05-03-2010 at 08:01 AM.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

missingyou HB Usermissingyou HB User
Re: Another Question Regarding Risk... Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worring View Post
Another "what's my risk" question... I have really started worrying myself over this. I have a test scheduled for tomorrow but the results will not be immediate and I am having trouble going about my daily routine because of the worry.

I am a female in my late 20s. From 2001 to 2004, I had unprotected vaginal sex about 5-7 times, each time with a different person. I was attending college at the time and most of the men I was with were also college students although a couple were local guys. All were in their 20s. They were all heterosexual, non-intravenous drug users. I suppose I don't know 100% about that last part, but I would be surprised if any of them did inject drugs or had sexual relationships with men.

It has now been over 6 years since I was with the last of these men. I don't have any definite symptoms but I do have fungus or some other type of issue with my 2 big toe nails. I have just recently realized that I may never have had an HIV test up to this point. (I do have a child and I wonder if I was tested while pregnant? I can't remember, but is this a common test that would have been done?)

Are there any hard numbers that someone could share with me regarding my level of risk?

THANK YOU
I'm not sure on the pregnancy protocol but it definitely seems possible as I think mother child transmission is about 20-30%. If you take meds and follow proper protocol I read 2-3%.

Toe nail fungus sounds pretty common given how hot and sweat our feet can get in socks and shoes.

It seems extremely unlikely you have HIV their are many factors in the odds so it would more be a ballbark number.

The male-to-female transmission is 0.08% per act in non low income countries multiply that by 5-7. Going off these statistics the worst case scenario it's a 0.56% you contracted it from any of those men. Again their are other factors so this is just a rough ballbark number.

Some more stats say an estimated 10 Infections from 10,000 exposures, from receptive Penile vaginal sexual intercourse. I'm not sure if this is assuming the partner is HIV positive if so it's really conflicting with the other information.

These are conflicting reports given from the same website almost commical but it just goes to show how their is no exact way to quantify you're exposure risk, you only get a real rough esitmate.

One states about 1/200 odds the other gives you about 1/1000 chance. I would say somewhere in that range sounds right to me.

Note that risk rates may change due to other factors such as commercial sex exposure, phase of HIV infection, presence or history of genital ulcers, and national income levels.

Given that it's been 6 years you likely would be noticing more symptoms the colds infections you got would be giving your body more of a run for its money than you're used to.

Last edited by missingyou; 05-03-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
(female)

Worring HB User

Thank you for your response. I realize that despite my risky behavior, the chances of me having been exposed to HIV, never mind contracting it, are probably pretty low. Thanks for coming up with some numbers... although I agree, it's probably impossible to come up with actual odds. I feel that it's likely that none of the men I was with had HIV... I have no reason to believe that they did. So hopefully I am one of the lucky ones... who stupidly engages in risky behaviors but walks away just fine.

It's still hard not to worry... as I mentioned, I am being tested tomorrow, but it's for insurance purposes so I am not sure how speedy they will be. I'm sure they assume I am HIV negative so I'm not sure how quickly they move with this stuff. I will have to ask for confirmation asap.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
(female)

Worring HB User

I have just discovered that over 90% of women in my area were tested for HIV during pregnancy in 2005 (with numbers increasing after that). This suggests that I was probably tested. I know that I did not refuse HIV testing, but I can't remember if it was offered. If 90%+ are tested, this is a good thing for me. Thanks again for the support.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
(female)

DesertMeow HB User

They probably did an HIV test as part of your pregnancy blood-work. It's pretty standard to include one...

Old 05-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
(female)

Worring HB User

First of all, they did not test me for my insurance so I suddenly realized I would have to go get my own test!

I went this afternoon... NEGATIVE! I knew my risk was low, but still, what a relief.

FYI -- The nurse also said that she was confident that I had been tested while pregnant since it's very common nowadays.

THANK YOU for your support!

Old 05-06-2010, 04:34 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

missingyou HB Usermissingyou HB User

Congrats on the negative HIV test

the odds I gave were a bit off you were mainly because they were acuakky factored
in assuming all the guys you were with had HIV

Closed Thread