It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
(female)

Annaliese HB User
HIV and Moving On

Dear All,

After a questionable exposure, I tested negative at week 4,6 and 8. My doctor after the 6 week mark said i no longer needed testing. However I still have problems moving on and I keep thinking about my 12 week test changing stuff like that but I also dread going for my 12 week test. Any tips to move on and not do the 12 week test? I posted similarly in the anxiety forum however they deleted it saying that it belonged here. Just hope no one deletes this..if this needs to be deleted please tell me where is appropriate to post and get some help. Thank You very much dear people.

Anna

Old 07-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User
Re: HIV and Moving On

You are more likely to get hit by a meteorite while you are reading this than end up testing positive at 12 weeks. The tests are close to 100% accurate at 8 weeks. The doctors that I follow on one of the other forums have never seen a 8 week negative turn positive in subsequent testing over the last 2-3 years (and neither have their colleagues), because the tests are so sensitive now. Even though you had a 'questionable exposure' you were most likely at low risk to begin with (unless your partner had sex with other men or was an IV drug abuser).

If it is still on your mind then take the test at 12 weeks- it will be negative.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
(female)

Annaliese HB User

Dear Joggen,

Danke. Just needed some reassurance as I was going crazy.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
(female)

pfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB User

Just so you know, continuing to have anxiety until the end of the " official window period" is really common. You aren't alone, and there are a lot of people out there going through the same feelings. But that doesn't mean the risk is actually there. I would trust an 8 week result, if my doctor told me to trust it.

I think what you need to do is trust your doctor. If he or she doesn't think a 12-week test is warranted, then trust him or her.

Keep telling yourself over and over that it's okay to trust the negative result and that you are negative.

peace.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

missingyou HB Usermissingyou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annaliese View Post
Dear Joggen,

Danke. Just needed some reassurance as I was going crazy.
Joggen is correct in reassuring you it's very unlikely at this point that you're test results would change but at the same time I'll state my point of view. The meteorite or lightning analogy is quite a bit more far fetched then your HIV status changing it's the point he's trying to make behind it that is what he's getting at. After 12-13 weeks the analogy is more accurate but still somewhat off base.

not to make you worry or drive any anxiety it's a somewhat confusing matter.

Their is varying information if you feel you need to be tested again at 12 weeks just go and do it, theirs little to no point in posting the proof will be in the pudding. It's extremely unlikely your partner had HIV let alone the odds of you contracting are very slim(In the odd chance your partner had it) therefore 6-8 weeks is very encouraging but it's not 100% conclusive.

For example if you have sex with a person known to be HIV + they recommend HIV testing at 3 and 6 months post exposure this is far from the 6-8 weeks conclusive test result. Even the CDC themselves says at 3 months it's only 97% accurate. Yet some DR's will state 6-8 weeks is 95-99% accurate this is a big difference. Even with the CDC going of 97% at 3 months, do the math that's 3 people out of a 100 at 3 months who do have HIV but won't test positive. Delayed seroconversion is mostly people who Take PEP, agammaglobulinemia, have an underling chronic disease/infection, HEP C coinfection or are on immunosuppresive drugs for a transplant. Although some people just seroconvert later for a reason that is unknown to scientists and doctors.

Personally with my symptoms(little to no appetite despite working out, fatigue, peripheral neuropathy on top of the ARS sickness I had post exposure) I'm going to go get tested at 13 weeks and very possibly 6 months. I'll take the 13 week test as conclusive(especially if it's positive) but that's not to say given the circumstances I'm not going to be as safe with my HIV status as humanly possibly I could never live with myself passing something that deadly on to anyone(even my worst enemy). At this point I'm going to make the wild assumption that my partner did have HIV given the risk group the two women are in, how I've felt and how they've treated me being evasive with their test results and their refusal in showing me their "negative" results or getting retested.

If I felt fine physically I would likely take 6-8 weeks as conclusive. Not to mention if I was having other symptoms that didn't add up with HIV I would likely take it as conclusive as well. My ARS symptoms followed two exposures and I'm still having strongly HIV related symptoms that's the bottom line in my case.

Last edited by missingyou; 07-08-2010 at 04:52 PM.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

i have it and i don't fear it.
why?
first hand i have seen others much worse off then me and
that was enough for me to keep things grounded
it made me feel fortuanate that i only have hiv and i'm not
going thru what they are.
14 years after i got it
and i still do everything i did 15 years ago..
maybe you knowing that its not as bad as you think
might help you feel a little better..

Old 07-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
(female)

Annaliese HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingyou View Post
Joggen is correct in reassuring you it's very unlikely at this point that you're test results would change but at the same time I'll state my point of view. The meteorite or lightning analogy is quite a bit more far fetched then your HIV status changing it's the point he's trying to make behind it that is what he's getting at. After 12-13 weeks the analogy is more accurate but still somewhat off base.

not to make you worry or drive any anxiety it's a somewhat confusing matter.

Their is varying information if you feel you need to be tested again at 12 weeks just go and do it, theirs little to no point in posting the proof will be in the pudding. It's extremely unlikely your partner had HIV let alone the odds of you contracting are very slim(In the odd chance your partner had it) therefore 6-8 weeks is very encouraging but it's not 100% conclusive.

For example if you have sex with a person known to be HIV + they recommend HIV testing at 3 and 6 months post exposure this is far from the 6-8 weeks conclusive test result. Even the CDC themselves says at 3 months it's only 97% accurate. Yet some DR's will state 6-8 weeks is 95-99% accurate this is a big difference. Even with the CDC going of 97% at 3 months, do the math that's 3 people out of a 100 at 3 months who do have HIV but won't test positive. Delayed seroconversion is mostly people who Take PEP, agammaglobulinemia, have an underling chronic disease/infection, HEP C coinfection or are on immunosuppresive drugs for a transplant. Although some people just seroconvert later for a reason that is unknown to scientists and doctors.

Personally with my symptoms(little to no appetite despite working out, fatigue, peripheral neuropathy on top of the ARS sickness I had post exposure) I'm going to go get tested at 13 weeks and very possibly 6 months. I'll take the 13 week test as conclusive(especially if it's positive) but that's not to say given the circumstances I'm not going to be as safe with my HIV status as humanly possibly I could never live with myself passing something that deadly on to anyone(even my worst enemy). At this point I'm going to make the wild assumption that my partner did have HIV given the risk group the two women are in, how I've felt and how they've treated me being evasive with their test results and their refusal in showing me their "negative" results or getting retested.

If I felt fine physically I would likely take 6-8 weeks as conclusive. Not to mention if I was having other symptoms that didn't add up with HIV I would likely take it as conclusive as well. My ARS symptoms followed two exposures and I'm still having strongly HIV related symptoms that's the bottom line in my case.
Dear MissingYou,

Thank you for your insight. I'm slowly moving on and trying to kick back and take things easy especially after my Doctor himself said I didn't need testing after my 6 week negative mark. Its just the anxiety consuming me. I told myself at week 8 when I took the test I would move on after that. Now after my week 8 negative i'm anticipating my next test even though its not needed. I just want to get rid of this. You know any tips? Thank You . God Bless.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
(female)

Annaliese HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiteler View Post
i have it and i don't fear it.
why?
first hand i have seen others much worse off then me and
that was enough for me to keep things grounded
it made me feel fortuanate that i only have hiv and i'm not
going thru what they are.
14 years after i got it
and i still do everything i did 15 years ago..
maybe you knowing that its not as bad as you think
might help you feel a little better..
Dear Smiteler,

Thank You for relating your experience. I will keep that in mind. God Bless.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
(female)

Annaliese HB User

Dear All,

After much deliberation and thinking I decided its time for me to move on and no more tests. My doctor himself said that I needn't be tested again after my 6 week negative. I would trust him because:

(1) His registered with the country's medical board (his licensed)

(2) At my first negative test at 4 weeks, he told me its already 99% accurate and told me not to worry and just come back and test at 12 weeks. Maybe he thought I was mellow. (According to a Hong Kong Official Anonymous Aids Testing Site, They use Abbott Rapid Determine and they say that the manufacturer insert mentions 1 month as the window period. UK GUM clinic also uses a rapid test that has a window period of one month; will find the links and post asap.

(3) At my nervous 6 week negative test, I suggested to my doctor if i could take the P24 ANTIGEN test; my doctor told me that the rapid test at 6 week its conclusive for both syphilis and HIV and he said no need to test again. I remember walking out of the clinic thinking "Man I don't have to come here again and I can sleep well". FYI i slept well but the whole anxiety episode started again.

(4) At my anxiety consumed 8 week negative test, my doctor said "Its already very accurate". Dr Edward on another medical website says: 8 weeks is conclusive for high risk exposures. By high risk he meant: unprotected vaginal/anal intercourse with a known/unknown HIV+ person. (Receptive unprotected vaginal was my exposure risk). Dr HHH on the same website also said that he or his colleagues has never seen a 4,6 or 8 week negative change to positive.

(5) My exposure can be deem risky however Dr. HHH on the other website claims an exposure is only risky if the person is known to be HIV+. I asked the guy "I did it with, and he claim his clean (of course he would). Nevertheless, I still got tested. Given he said his clean (I'll assume his HIV status as unknown, my 8 week negative is conclusive)

(6) Lastly, he was in every position to ask me to come back and test till the 12 week mark as its an anonymous site(not covered by insurance) so they would profit not me. The test is $50 each time and is not cheap. However with his expertise he said at 6 week, no more testing needed.

(7) I had enough of worrying. Its not like I was practising "ignorant in bliss" and not getting tested at all. I took responsibility, did research about testing options, consulted medical professionals and I and everyone who did the same should be commended.

(8) My behaviour is not risky although my act was. I don't sleep around anyhow. I just had a one off brief unprotected episode with a male friend I've known for over a year. Nonetheless, I've learnt well from this lesson: Trust no one until ur truly in a monogamous relationship. Don't let your lonely feeling of not having a bf/gf bring you down and make yourself vulnerable to people who just prey on your feelings so they can bed you. Take time and think before you commit to any relationship.

TAKE HOME NOTE: Trust the medical professionals and always get tested if you have had a questionable exposure. Don't only test for HIV, do get tested for other major stds too such as Syphilis(risk factor for contracting HIV due to chancres), Chylamadia etc..however they are less dangerous than HIV.

God Bless all those who have helped me make it here to the point of "LET GO! AND LET LIVE". Amen!

Old 07-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
(female)

Annaliese HB User

Thats about it. Auf Wiedersehen people. Take care. All of you are in my prayers even though I don't know you guys as you guys went out your way to help comfort a stranger

Last edited by moderator2; 07-09-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 07-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

Quote:
I had enough of worrying. Its not like I was practising "ignorant in bliss" and not getting tested at all. I took responsibility, did research about testing options, consulted medical professionals and I and everyone who did the same should be commended.
You most definitely should be commended, both for your responsible handling of the situation and your ability to overcome your fears and think things through rationally and objectively (as shown in your list).

Old 07-10-2010, 12:48 AM   #12
(female)

Annaliese HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joggen View Post
You most definitely should be commended, both for your responsible handling of the situation and your ability to overcome your fears and think things through rationally and objectively (as shown in your list).
Thank You Joggen. ANNALIESE HAS MOVED ON! Learnt very well from this lesson! ) I will continue to pray for everyone. I'm glad this situation kinda happened if not I wouldn't know about STDs etc. I think everyone even those wanting to remain celibate should know about these things. Enough said. God Bless. Take care everyone.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:03 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Thank You Joggen. ANNALIESE HAS MOVED ON! Learnt very well from this lesson! ) I will continue to pray for everyone. I'm glad this situation kinda happened if not I wouldn't know about STDs etc. I think everyone even those wanting to remain celibate should know about these things. Enough said. God Bless. Take care everyone.
Good job on moving on. I wish you the best in health and happiness in your life.

Remember to use condoms and you won't have to worry next time!

Old 07-10-2010, 01:06 AM   #14
(female)

Annaliese HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingyou View Post
Good job on moving on. I wish you the best in health and happiness in your life.

Remember to use condoms and you won't have to worry next time!
Will do Missingyou Thank You for your support during this tough time. Thank You again. God Bless.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:16 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

No problem I'm glad things worked out well for you

Closed Thread