It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2010, 04:51 AM   #1
(male)

OnlyChild84 HB User
Exclamation Ok so here's my story... Input needed

Hello all. Ill get to the point, kind of. I had unprotected sex with a female in march of this year and continued to maybe once to 3 times a week. We were tested at the end of april and everything came back neg. Fast foward to June 12 of this year and I come down with what seems to be a nasty cold and start to show symptoms of chlamydia. Cold was at its worst for about 3 days (stuffy nose, fatigue, cough). On the 3rd day I was nausious and that lasted for a week and a half to 2 weeks. Also had diarrhea. I was treated for the chlamydia on the 19th. She was tested for hiv and other stds on the 17th and results on the 22nd or 23rd of June which would have been about 8 weeks since she would have been exposed last. (She was seeing someone else when we started out). Her test was neg. I dont ever recall having a fever..(I took the thermometer everywhere I went). We had sex unprotected since we started talking till I was treated for chlamydia and after that with a condom but unprotected oral. Since then I have had a sore throat, constant headaches, rashes that come and go and looked like welts or hives, Diarrhea off and on. Lymphy nodes in neck were swollen but not much. They went down except one on the right side under the jaw. It is now July 28th and its still there. No pain from it. 3 days ago a lymph node on the right side of my groin appeared and there's pain with it. top it off the area above it was tender when pressed. None under the armpits and jus the one on the neck. Hive no longer appear when I itch. As far as a rash goes I'm not sure if this one will "count". I have a large patch on my back over my sholder blade. It's darker than the rest of my skin and seems dry. Have had on like it before on my backside. Seems to be going away. Also sensitive armpits. No lumps as far as I can feel. Pain where my spleen and liver is located at different times.
Not sure if I am even over the cold I had back in june due to stuffy nose and constantly clearing my throat.

I've been reading post on this site for a little over a month now and yes I know bad idea to go symptom surfing. I built up enough courage to register and post my story for feed back.

Is it possible that what I am going through is ARS or is it all in my head?
I'm going in this Friday for a test, and I'm worried like crazy.
I've been believing this entire time that I may be infected.

My partner had casual sex often with the last person before me and that person gave her chlamydia and also was sleeping with a street worker unprotected. Not sure how many times but claims that the last time was in november of last year.

I read soo many post on here of people who have sex with random people protected and are scared out of their minds and I often wish I were in their shoes because they don't have anything to worry about...

So what do you guys think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User
Re: Ok so here's my story... Input needed

since in your own words you believe you are already infected.....
i doubt there is much for me or anyone else to say to change your mind.
all i will say is the odds are that you are negative.
when you get your test results BELIEVE in them.
they are very accurate.
good luck

Old 07-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
(male)

OnlyChild84 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciated it. Well I'm off wish me luck.

Scared as hell right now. Gotta do what I gotta do.

Didn't get to test. Didn't make it there on time. Also when I got home I fell asleep for a good while and when I woke up my left foot was numb. 12 hours later I am still getting tingling in my foot, ankle, and shin. Now I read (yeah I know) That neurologic symptoms are present in 12% of people who go through ars. So far on the latest symptoms since my last possible encounter Which was June 18 or 19th (5 weeks) are - Headaches, numbness and tingling for hours since happening, a swollen node on the right side of the groin, random but short muscle aches and pain.

Please someone say something. I have no idea what to think, do or anything.

Last edited by OnlyChild84; 07-31-2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Freaked out

Old 08-01-2010, 02:08 AM   #4
(female)

pfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB User

Hi, I want to let you know that tingling/numbness/muscle aches are not really ARS symptoms. They are, however, often caused by anxiety and inactivity (when you sit around scared, worrying, and on the computer, not moving around much.) One reason being nervous can cause so many symptoms is the higher adrenaline in your body when you are anxious. This can also cause headaches, nausea and diarrhea. And you become tense, leading to neck pain and other aches. I even saw a girl once break out in a rash when having an anxiety attack-- it was a weird thing to see. (Once she was totally calm, the rash faded.)
The dry patch on your back is not a rash. You would know if you had a real rash.
If you think you have an inflamed lymph node, have a doctor look at it. My guess would be the pain is from a tense muscle in the area, not a truly swollen lymph node.

So please don't base your worries on symptoms. You don't realize how powerful stress is and the symptoms it can create.

You simply must rely on test results after the "window period," not your symptoms.

If the stress is harming your life, go to a doctor for some temporary anti-anxiety medication, just to help you get through this period of time.

By the way, I don't mean to sound like I'm minimizing what you're going through. I understand it. However, when people think they're having ARS symptoms, they are almost NEVER. And the fact that your girlfriend had a recent negative test is VERY promising.
I hope you can test soon, and this will be over for you. Wish the best for you.

Last edited by pfe; 08-01-2010 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Added some details

Old 08-01-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

missingyou HB Usermissingyou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfe View Post
Hi, I want to let you know that tingling/numbness/muscle aches are not really ARS symptoms. They are, however, often caused by anxiety and inactivity (when you sit around scared, worrying, and on the computer, not moving around much.)
I'm not here to argue but I can't resist peripheral neuropathy is a symptom of acute HIV Infection. In fact in some cases it's the first clinical sign of HIV infection.

Yes anxiety can cause very minor tingeling or aches or whatever but you can't just blame symptoms on anxiety unless you know for a fact their isn't any physical issue going on.

You can't walk in anyone else's shoes and feel the symptoms they're experiencing therefore assuming they're purely anxiety related is an incorrect assumption.

The mind is powerful I'll give you that it does affect the body, but at the same time the body does affect the mind. If you or anyone for that matter is having legitimate irritating symptoms that would drive just about everyone to be anxious about their health.

When I had this horrible oral pain two years ago(along with other symptoms) some nurse told my mom(her friend) oh maybe it's anxiety related I saw multiple doctors (one suspecting lyme disease, another at the ER thinking it was an autoimmune condition and another thinking he was chasing a red herring). I finally found one who asked if I was in pain I replied yes and he gave me strong antibiotics(clarithromycin and clindamycin for 6 weeks) which cleared up the pain I was still left with other symptoms like fatigue.. So yes my oral pain was clearly anxiety related it's easy to just blame it on anxiety when you don't know of the specific cause of the symptoms.

Just like how some stupid doctors think Chronic fatigue syndrome is a psychological condition just because their isn't a test for it like HIV or some other diseases.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingyou View Post
I'm not here to argue but I can't resist peripheral neuropathy is a symptom of acute HIV Infection. In fact in some cases it's the first clinical sign of HIV infection.
That is incorrect information missingyou. That is one of your personal theories that you have been using over the past 3 months to convince yourself that you have HIV and it is not medically accurate. Peripheral neuropathy is not a symptom of acute HIV infection- it is a symptom of advanced HIV/AIDS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingyou View Post
You can't walk in anyone else's shoes and feel the symptoms they're experiencing therefore assuming they're purely anxiety related is an incorrect assumption.
Since almost everybody who comes to HIV forums has a high level of anxiety (almost always over a zero or extremely low risk encounter), it is reasonable to suggest to somebody to consider anxiety as a possible cause of their symptoms, especially when they are classic anxiety symptoms like tingling. An incorrect assumption is assuming that you have symptoms of AIDS after a recent encounter and multiple negative HIV tests that show you are negative.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
(male)

OnlyChild84 HB User

Thank you guys so much for posting to this post. I really appreciate your input and opinions.

Ok so the numbness and tingling in the left leg is fully gone I believe. I was really bad in the first 12 or so hours. I wasn't sure if it was anxiety or something else. I imagine that if it was related to anxiety, it would have been very brief. I'm no expert just my opinion. The lymph node has gone down a lot. Now I'm not entirely sure it was a swollen lymph node. It was pretty long like it was a vein with a lump in the middle, and it was more on the scrotum than the thigh, but none the less it was swollen. Felt very out of it yesterday but it has passed with sleep. So for a symptom run down, Random brief muscle aches and pains, Numbness and tingling in foot and shin for 12 hours total, brief nausea, and what I think may have been a swollen lymph node above scrotum (right side), and headaches. They all seem to have gone away since I woke up this morning. Has me worried. Swollen vein or lymph node in groin came about 5 weeks after unprotected sex and treatment of chlamydia. Then went down significantly were as its's never there in the past 2 days also the neck lymph node is going away now. Everything seems to have gone away over night.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:54 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joggen View Post
That is incorrect information missingyou. That is one of your personal theories that you have been using over the past 3 months to convince yourself that you have HIV and it is not medically accurate. Peripheral neuropathy is not a symptom of acute HIV infection- it is a symptom of advanced HIV/AIDS.

Since almost everybody who comes to HIV forums has a high level of anxiety (almost always over a zero or extremely low risk encounter), it is reasonable to suggest to somebody to consider anxiety as a possible cause of their symptoms, especially when they are classic anxiety symptoms like tingling. An incorrect assumption is assuming that you have symptoms of AIDS after a recent encounter and multiple negative HIV tests that show you are negative.
By one of the first clincal signs I wasn't refering to acute HIV infection. I was talking about after the infection is established. At the same time Neurological symptoms aren't exclusive to advanced HIV as in years of being HIV +

With that said neurological symptoms can be a sign of acute HIV infection, peripheral neuropathy is a type of neurological symptom. For example in my case I have super low HDL from genetics(not diet or lack of exercise) which means I have less myelin tissue protecting my nervous system therefore I'd be much more prone to PN from a disease like MS or an infection like HIV.

These are not my personal theories they're known facts. While PN is more common in later stage HIV infection up to 30% get it but it's also possible to get it during Acute or Early(the first few months) of HIV infection.

About anxiety I'll give you that It's not too unreasonable to suggest anxiety but that's not to say it's accurate to assume it's anxiety when you don't know the symptoms first hand. Assuming it's anxiety over the internet you may be correct most of the time as symptoms are subjective to some degree and only the person experiencing them truely know's the severity. It's easy to only see things from you prespective especially over the internet. Even I am guilty of this at times.

Last edited by missingyou; 08-04-2010 at 05:37 AM.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
(male)

OnlyChild84 HB User

Went in today for a test and it came out negative. Not sure if I should be happy or worried that it hasn't been exactly 3 months. Its been 2 months since last possible exposure, and what is thought to be ARS symptoms. They did a antibody test and got the results back in about 10 minutes.

Should I be happy with the negative and kinda put this all behind me?

Old 08-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyChild84 View Post
Went in today for a test and it came out negative. Not sure if I should be happy or worried that it hasn't been exactly 3 months. Its been 2 months since last possible exposure, and what is thought to be ARS symptoms. They did a antibody test and got the results back in about 10 minutes.

Should I be happy with the negative and kinda put this all behind me?
Yes you should be happy and put it behind you. If you're worried about symptoms or other issues just retest again at 13 weeks post exposure.

Last edited by missingyou; 08-24-2010 at 03:39 PM.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Quote:

I already covered your points such as how HIV neuropathy isn't only specific to advanced stage HIV/AIDS. Demyelinating Polyneuropathy is associated with HIV not to mention if you have less myelin tissue protecting your nerves to begin with you'd be much more prone.

About the 3 month negative HIV test you have stated multiple times to me that a IgG level below the reference range(in other words a deficiency) won't affect an HIV test. To be honest I don't know how you can say this when it is stated clearly by numerous reputable sources that things like agammaglobulinemia, or CVID can often cause false negatives for the normal 3 month window peroid this extenuating circumstance of deficient antibody prodcution would certaintly extend this window period to 6 months.

I've even read how in western Africa hypergammaglobulinemia can cause false positives on WB as well as false indeterminates. WB is even more specific then an ELISA which is about 99% specific. Therefore with ELISA they have cut off values because their can be cross reactions. Thus if your antibodies don't react enough with the antigen's used in a test for whatever reason you could have HIV but it will give a negative result. These reasons could be your antibody production is deficient(aka an atypical response) or if there's a divergent HIV strain that would make the HIV test less accurate. There are at least slight variations between subtypes and strains and it can even be more that just slight in some cases. For example in an extreme case HIV-2 is about 60% related to the genome of HIV-1

I think just about anyone who's gone through the severe acute symptoms I have and is still having unexplained symptoms after sex with someone they shouldn't have been with, would be at least somewhat suspicious of HIV. Remember there are no guarantees as to when someone will produce ENOUGH antibody's to turn up HIV positive on an ANTI-HIV test and my IgG deficiency and very low IgM increases the odds greatly that if I have HIV that my antibody response would be blunted.

Whether it's HIV or not I got infected with something fairly serious for to make me so sick and be still giving me all kinds of unexplained symptoms.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

I don't think you need additional testing but I'm not you- by all means have a test at 6 months if that is what it will take for you to move on from this.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 03-31-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

I don't have one the doctor who ran the quantitative immunoglobulin tests two years ago thinks he knows everything. Regardless my IgG level was well below the refernce range as well as my IgM was a fraction above the reference range. I'm not trying to be my own immunologist but theirs no disputing the facts about my deficient or alterered levels of immunoglobulins making it much more possible or likely I'd have a false negatve anybody test if indeed I was infected with HIV.

The main comment about the immunologist was if the deficiency was considerable enough to warrant PCR testing

Last edited by Mod-S4; 03-31-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

It's a very arguable point because you don't have the training to make that interpretation- people who went to medical school and have had 8+ years of training are qualified to interpret immunoglobin levels and their possible effect on whether an HIV test at 3 months is conclusive or not. You are just taking things off the Internet out of context and trying to apply it to your own situation.

I can sort of understand why your condition would make you have doubts about your test result, but if I were in your situation I would either consult with an immunologist or an infectious disease specialist before having another test- I wouldn't make that decision from reading up on HIV on the Internet. Anyway, I don't come here to argue and you are obviously not going to be able to let this go until you test out to 6 months (hopefully), so I think this discussion should end.

Last edited by joggen; 08-25-2010 at 05:47 PM.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
It's a very arguable point because you don't have the training to make that interpretation- people who went to medical school and have had 8+ years of training are qualified to interpret immunoglobin levels and their possible effect on whether an HIV test at 3 months is conclusive or not. You are just taking things off the Internet out of context and trying to apply it to your own situation.

I can sort of understand why your condition would make you have doubts about your test result, but if I were in your situation I would either consult with an immunologist or an infectious disease specialist before having another test- I wouldn't make that decision from reading up on HIV on the Internet. Anyway, I don't come here to argue and you are obviously not going to be able to let this go until you test out to 6 months (hopefully), so I think this discussion should end.
It may be an arguable point but you have to admit it's certainly plausible for my condition to affect an HIV test therefore giving a false negative. Yes doctors have 8+ years of training but only a extremely small portion of that would be about interpretation of immunglobulin levels. I wouldn't say I'm taking stuff off the internet out of context and applying it to my situation. Yes I did take an excerpt of one of Dr. Bob's reply about a person with CVID. The thing is I never saw an immunologist for all we know I could have a milder form of CVID that just hasn't been diagnosed due to me not seeing the right specialist.

That's good you can sort of see why my condition would have me doubts about my test results. An important factor is the severe acute symptoms I had that seemed right along the lines of ARS as well as the unexplained symptoms I'm still having.

I'm planning on getting a number of infectious disease tests in the next couple weeks or so here. Which include alot of PCR's for CMV etc, as well as a HIV EIA AND HIV WB the WB blot will be done regardless of the EIA results. These tests will be done at 21 weeks post exposure maybe 22(5 months) and I'll follow up with my GP about an infectious disease specialist and possibly an immunologist.

I was recommended to have another HIV test from my GP at 6 months as well as a nurse at 6 months without even mentioning immunoglobulin issues. Actually at 2 weeks post exposure I wanted to get an Ab/AG test which they don't have here and my doctor wrote low IgG on the test but I don't think he even remembers that I have deficient levels.

Anyways yes this discussion can end I will see the proper doctors and specialists and get testing done in order to find out and rule out what's really wrong with me.

Last edited by missingyou; 08-25-2010 at 09:41 PM.

Closed Thread