It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
(male)

Billy123123 HB User
HIV symptoms

Hey I was just wondering how early do the symptoms come and I kind of have the flu but is it like a really bad flu where ur so sick u can't go out or is it just like ur throat hurts a little... All answers appreciated thank u

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

missingyou HB Usermissingyou HB User
Re: HIV symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy123123 View Post
Hey I was just wondering how early do the symptoms come and I kind of have the flu but is it like a really bad flu where ur so sick u can't go out or is it just like ur throat hurts a little... All answers appreciated thank u
Generally symptoms appear between 1-3 weeks post exposure and last 1-2 weeks.

Unusually symptoms can appear between a few days post exposure and a few weeks. They can also last longer than 1-2 weeks up to a few weeks. When symptoms appear sooner than the normal 1-3 week range they are usually more severe and prolonged.

The degree of symptoms are quite variable some will be so severe they go to their doctor or possibly even the hospital. At this point in time even if their is suspicion of HIV infection an HIV antibody will quite likely be negative. Hence the infamous "window period" of false negatives.

This for me was a big red flag I had two risky sexual exposures with very promiscuous women, a few days later I got severely ill unlike any other sicknesses I've ever had. Painful swollen neck lymph nodes, loss of appetite, extreme fatigue, my seborrhea got very inflammed, muscle weakness, malaise, bruises on my legs for no reason, half a dozen + cold sores, diarrhea, a rash on my arms torso chest upper back and shoulders as well as pins and needles in my feet aka neurological symptoms.

This sicknesses was prolonged and lasted about four weeks. Currently I'm still having unexplained symptoms such as a loss of appetite(not feeling hungry), fatigue, swollen neck lymph nodes, neurological symptoms, skin issues I had innately are exaserbated(specifically seborrhea and a bit of acne prone skin). I should note I've tested negative at 13 weeks post exposure. At 13 weeks post exposure 97% of infections can be picked up.

In other instances the symptoms are fairly minor where the person just carrys on with their life and they don't think twice that anything is seriously wrong with them let alone the possibility of HIV infection.

It's said between 70-90% of those infected with HIV experience acute or primary HIV symptoms.

Basically their are many factors that come into play such as the amount of virus the person was exposed to, the strain, the host's response and underlying immune system function, etc.

Last edited by missingyou; 08-14-2010 at 03:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingyou View Post
I should note I've tested negative at 13 weeks post exposure. At 13 weeks post exposure 97% of infections can be picked up.
Added for clarification..................

Quote:
Most people develop detectable antibodies approximately 30 days after infection, although some seroconvert later. The vast majority of people (99%) have detectable antibodies by three months after HIV infection; a six-month window is extremely rare with modern antibody testing
Kevin.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingyou View Post
It's said between 70-90% of those infected with HIV experience acute or primary HIV symptoms.
Would you please tell me where you got this information from ?

A link please.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 08-14-2010 at 04:14 PM.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokecalledkev View Post
Added for clarification..................

Kevin.
The CDC states at 13 weeks tests are accurate at picking up 97% of HIV infections.

What is your source that states 99%?

Old 08-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Would you please tell me where you got this information from ?

A link please.
I will PM you the link as I cannot put it on here

Quote:
Most people (up to 90%) with primary HIV infection have symptoms

Old 08-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

There is alot of varying information when it comes to HIV as seen in this thread nothing is written in stone so to speak. Their are way too many variables and different ways a persons body can react.

From 3 month tests being 97% accurate to those same tests being 99% reliable. Yes that is the vast majority either way you look at it but if you're in that 1-3% whom have an atypical response or with a rare strain that can delay reaching that all important cut-off value it's an important number.

From symptoms generally being 1-3 weeks or 2-4 weeks post exposure or even them being 2-6 post exposure. While unusual there are reliable sources as in Doctors that state you can get symptoms days after an exposure. This is often not mentioned because it's quite uncommon and people who get sick a few days after an exposure are in almost all cases just having a regular cold or flu.

Even smiteler mentioned he felt burning in his penis almost right after his exposure and he got sick the next day so bad he was in the hospital within the next few days. If symptoms were always 2-4 weeks post exposure then this would have been impossible.

Last edited by missingyou; 08-14-2010 at 05:23 PM.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

It goes onto state in the link you sent to me.

Quote:
Some people will become infected with HIV and have no symptoms. However, most people do have symptoms.
and

Quote:
Some people have symptoms so severe that they go to the emergency room. Others will have mild symptoms.
The point is and as always been that no two people react the same way to an HIV infection. You cannot say because somebody as symptom a,b,c,d etc, then it is a good indicator that they have an HIV infection. When it is clear from the very link you sent me this is not the case, some people get many symptoms, some none, some mild, some severe. And as you know this listed symptoms, ie Loss of appetite ,Joint pain ,Sore throat ,Muscle pain ,Swollen lymph nodes ,Diarrhea ,Fatigue ,Nausea and vomiting ,Headache ,Oral or genital ulcers

can and often are what many people get from time to time. As you have already stated symptom hunting should not be encouraged because as, I think, we both agree no matter how many or how few you may get, they cannot determine anybodies HIV status. Again the point here is that simply looking at symptoms on the net and trying to jump to conclusions does not help anybody. If in doubt go for a test and take it from there but please stop obsessing over symptoms.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 08-14-2010 at 05:49 PM.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

@Missingyou:

The CDC does not update its website. That 97% figure you like to quote is probably at least 10 years out of date. It doesn't take into account the vast improvement in testing technology that has occurred over the past 10 years.

Instead of focusing on outdated information, talk to people who actually do HIV testing. Most people will tell you that seroconversion beyond 8 weeks is very rare and 3 months is absolutely solid- virtually 100% accurate.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
It goes onto state in the link you sent to me.

and

The point is and as always been that no two people react the same way to an HIV infection. You cannot say because somebody as symptom a,b,c,d etc, then it is a good indicator that they have an HIV infection. When it is clear from the very link you sent me this is not the case, some people get many symptoms, some none, some mild, some severe. And as you know this listed symptoms, ie Loss of appetite ,Joint pain ,Sore throat ,Muscle pain ,Swollen lymph nodes ,Diarrhea ,Fatigue ,Nausea and vomiting ,Headache ,Oral or genital ulcers

can and often are what many people get from time to time. As you have already stated symptom hunting should not be encouraged because as, I think, we both agree no matter how many or how few you may get, they cannot determine anybodies HIV status. Again the point here is that simply looking at symptoms on the net and trying to jump to conclusions does not help anybody. If in doubt go for a test and take it from there but please stop obsessing over symptoms.
Yes symptoms aren't reliable at all but they shouldn't be ignored or discounted.I'm sure there a tons of people who get anxious about HIV and then become symptom searchers after googling HIV symptoms. On the other hand some people actually get so sick and that makes them worry and they then realize what symptoms they have caught something infectious which is giving them strange symptoms.

From the link I sent you.

Quote:
Primary HIV infection can have a variety of different symptoms. Some researchers believe that rash and fevers are the strongest predictors of primary HIV infection, especially when occurring in combination with one or more of the following symptoms:Loss of appetite
Joint pain
Sore throat
Muscle pain
Swollen lymph nodes
Diarrhea
Fatigue
Nausea and vomiting
Headache
Speaking for myself some of my symptoms were very strange like the painful swollen neck lymph nodes, diarrhea the loss of appetite, the neurological symptoms, the fever(chills and feeling really hot and sweaty)the skin inflammation and also how extreme the fatigue was, not to mention the rash that I had on my arms, torso, chest upperback and shoulders. These symptoms lasted much longer than a normal sicknesses would have. I didn't have a cough a sore throat runny nose or other symptoms associated with a common cold or flu.

You're right if in doubt go for a test and you know what I went to get tested again at 17 weeks post exposure.

I also have a panel of infectious diseases to go for through a paid lab which my doctor recommended. Their are PCR's for CMV and other viruses, antibody tests, their is also a a HIV EIA(ELISA) as well as a western blot that is done it isn't done as a confirmatory test it is just ordered on it's own with the whole panel. They stoped doing their PCR's for HIV a year ago. Also where I live only an infectious disease special can order a HIV RNA PCR, I may end up getting a referral to one.

Last edited by missingyou; 08-14-2010 at 08:29 PM.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joggen View Post
@Missingyou:

The CDC does not update its website. That 97% figure you like to quote is probably at least 10 years out of date. It doesn't take into account the vast improvement in testing technology that has occurred over the past 10 years.

Instead of focusing on outdated information, talk to people who actually do HIV testing. Most people will tell you that seroconversion beyond 8 weeks is very rare and 3 months is absolutely solid- virtually 100% accurate.
I'm fairly certain they do update their website, they just may not have been confident enough to update that figure to 99%.

Even if it's 99% still someone will get missed.

For example my IgG deficiency.

Quote:
Some reports indicate that the prevalence of IgG deficiency may be 1 case per 10,000 persons
That's a 99.99% chance not to have a IgG deficiency I wasn't officially diagnosed as I think you may need at least two levels below the reference range. I was only tested once and my level was below the reference range.

I've had pretty bad luck with health problems so I'm not so confident on the numbers.

or even seborrhea 2-4% of people without HIV have it and up to 90% of people with HIV get it at one point or another. Well I'm unlucky enough to have it naturally therefore if something else is causing inflammation it would only make sense that it would get alot more irritated. Due to me having this inflammatory condition to begin with.

I certainly hope you're right that it's virtually 100% accurate but still regardless if it's HIV or not I have something fairly seriously wrong with me.

Did you see the article that I linked about the individual not testing positive until at least four months post exposure which they thought was due to a concomitant CMV infection which suppressed his or her immunes system enough to delay sufficient antibody production to make an ELISA positive. CMV is a very common infection with most people being infected by age 40.

I was very prone to cold sores before often getting chronic cold sores(during hot bouts in the summer or if I forgot to take my lysine pills with foods high in arginine) I even got 6-8 during the first few weeks post exposure.

Last edited by missingyou; 08-14-2010 at 08:48 PM.

Closed Thread