HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   HIV Prevention (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hiv-prevention/)
-   -   Worried Sick about HIV (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hiv-prevention/766808-worried-sick-about-hiv.html)

Drezzy 09-04-2010 09:04 PM

Worried Sick about HIV

Hi,

I just got back from Vietnam where I had some drinks in a bar and made the mistake of having sex with a protitute. I wore a condom during the vaginal sex, but took it off afterward and she performed brief oral sex and masturbation on me to finish.

On my return home I came down with a nasty flu-like/cold-like illness with a fever, skin rash, nausea, malaise and mild cough with sputum production. It really knocked me out for about 8 days. I lost 10 lbs during this due to lack of appetite. My doctor hasn't pinpointed exactly what the illness is and the idea of HIV didn't occur to me until I started surfing the net and read some of the symptoms.

From what I understand Vietnam has an epidemic of HIV and I am literally sick with worry right now as it is too early to be tested.

What is the risk of having contracted HIV from this single episode? I could really use a rational look as I am unable to think clearly about it right now.

thanks for your advice!

blokecalledkev 09-05-2010 04:14 PM

Re: Worried Sick about HIV

[QUOTE=Drezzy;4321325]Hi,

I just got back from Vietnam where I had some drinks in a bar and made the mistake of having sex with a protitute. I wore a condom during the vaginal sex, but took it off afterward and she performed brief oral sex and masturbation on me to finish.

On my return home I came down with a nasty flu-like/cold-like illness with a fever, skin rash, nausea, malaise and mild cough with sputum production. It really knocked me out for about 8 days. I lost 10 lbs during this due to lack of appetite. My doctor hasn't pinpointed exactly what the illness is and [B]the idea of HIV didn't occur to me until I started surfing the net and read some of the symptoms.[/B]

From what I understand Vietnam has an epidemic of HIV and I am literally sick with worry right now as it is too early to be tested.

What is the risk of having contracted HIV from this single episode? I could really use a rational look as I am unable to think clearly about it right now.

thanks for your advice![/QUOTE]

Hi there,

Your risk was small. actually extremely small. HIV is not transmitted via oral sex nor is it transmitted by hand to genital contact. I have taken the liberty of bolding the most telling part of your post. Please, please stop doing this. Stop goggling "HIV symptoms", stop self examination, stop trying to self diagnose. It cannot be done.

There is only one way to determine your HIV status, a blood test, from what you have posted you have nothing to worry about.

Regards Kevin.

Drezzy 09-06-2010 12:50 AM

Thanks for your reply and reassurance Kevin. I really appreciate it. You are so right about the problems involved in trying to self diagnose on the web. I know this intellectually but I was so concerned about tropical diseases and my doctor not being able to tell me what I had other than "a virus that'll run it's course" that I started googling my symptoms to get an idea for myself. Once I saw all the HIV symptoms the idea hit me like a ton of bricks and sent me reeling in fear. I feel a bit better after your words, but I am wondering what to tell my girlfriend here at home and whether i should abstain from sex with her until I get a test result. I feel i should tell her my fears just because it wouldn't be right to put her at any kind of risk until I know for certain. It's only been 3 weeks since my stupid mistake, and stupid it was. Hopefully you are right as I couldn't live with myself if I put her in harms way.

blokecalledkev 09-06-2010 05:22 AM

Hi Drezzy,

This is a very tough call, whether to tell or not tell your partner. I really don't feel too comfortable advising you either way as this is entirely your call. I can tell you I did tell my partner. It was a very traumatic and tough time for us both, almost to the point of divorce, but we did pull through it. Yes there is the argument that there should be no secrets but on the other hand factoring the hurt it causes our partners makes it a very tough choice. Unfortunately, this really is down to you.

Regards Kevin.

Drezzy 09-11-2010 08:14 AM

I visited the local clinic yesterday to have an annonymous test for HIV performed. I was told that it would take 2 weeks or longer to receive the results, but am able to manage my anxiety right now due to the encouragment I received from Kevin here. Thanks Kev! Your words helped me more than you know. However as it has only been 4 weeks now since my possible exposure, I will be neededing to be retested at 3 months just to be sure even if the 4 week result is negative correct?

Thanks for your responses.

blokecalledkev 09-11-2010 03:54 PM

Hi Drezzy,

The results you get back will accurately reflect your HIV status, even at four weeks. Given what you have posted it will almost certainly be negative. A confirmation test is advisable at three months to get rid of any doubt. Understandably many people prefer to have this test at the three month mark simply to set aside this doubt. I would advise you to do so not because you are in anyway a high risk but simply to set your mind at rest and then move on. I understand the anxiety of having to wait three months to be given the all clear but please rest assured it is the best way to rid your mind of any doubt.

I am not a betting man, but given what you have posted and the risk you were exposed to, I would wager everything I own that your results will be negative and any further tests you may wish to take later will simply confirm this.

Regards Kevin.

Apollo123 09-14-2010 06:19 AM

[QUOTE=Drezzy;4321325]Hi,

On my return home I came down with a nasty flu-like/cold-like illness with a fever, skin rash, nausea, malaise and mild cough with sputum production. It really knocked me out for about 8 days. I lost 10 lbs during this due to lack of appetite. My doctor hasn't pinpointed exactly what the illness is and the idea of HIV didn't occur to me until I started surfing the net and read some of the symptoms.

thanks for your advice![/QUOTE]

Dressy you had no risk for HIV at all. Condom = protected sex, and oral unprotected is so slim a chance of infection its not worth thinking about, and again thats only if the other person WAS positive. Saliva basically protects against the virus( because it kills it ), as HIV virus is very fragile and even harder to pass from a woman to a man. Test by all means but im certain you will be negative.

It is worth considering having a STD test at the same time.

As for symptoms, well this wont be the first or last flu you ever get and thats why symptoms are not reliable, and most of the symptoms will relate to stress and guilt. Dont worry, you had no risk... but get your results for peace of mind

scared19 09-22-2010 09:46 PM

Keep your rubber on at all times.

Drezzy 10-07-2010 07:37 AM

Thanks everyone, especially Kevin who alleviated my initial panic and helped put things back into perspective with me. My 4 week test results finally came back negative for HIV. I was able to work through the issue with my girlfriend and life is back on track. Lesson learned.

Cheers.

blokecalledkev 10-07-2010 11:48 AM

Hi Drezzy,

Great news all round. Thank you for your kind words and I hope you can now move on with your life and it all works out well for you.

Take care, regards Kevin.