It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
(male)

1000man HB User
Does HIV Antibodies Test Detect AIDS too?

If you have a test done for HIV which is an HIV antibodies test. A standard test here in the UK. Will it also detect if someone had already progressed beyond HIV stage and now had AIDS?

What I really mean is that someone who has aids and gets a HIV antibody test done they will still be detected as having aids or HIV?

Thanks

Old 09-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User
Re: Does HIV Antibodies Test Detect AIDS too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000man View Post
If you have a test done for HIV which is an HIV antibodies test. A standard test here in the UK. Will it also detect if someone had already progressed beyond HIV stage and now had AIDS?

What I really mean is that someone who has aids and gets a HIV antibody test done they will still be detected as having aids or HIV?

Thanks
Hi there,

No an HIV test will test for the HIV antibodies. HIV will break down the immune system to the point of AIDS ( if left untreated). If the antibodies are detected further tests are carried out to determine the damage, if any, that as been done to the immune system. Hence the reason why early detection is so important.

Regards Kevin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
(male)

1000man HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokecalledkev View Post
Hi there,

No an HIV test will test for the HIV antibodies. HIV will break down the immune system to the point of AIDS ( if left untreated). If the antibodies are detected further tests are carried out to determine the damage, if any, that as been done to the immune system. Hence the reason why early detection is so important.

Regards Kevin.
I don't believe so I had the question answered by a doctor since asking this question and they said:

"If one has AIDS, it is caused by HIV, so yes-- the HIV antibody test will be positive for someone who has HIV which has progressed to full-blown Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome. The difference between HIV and AIDS lies in the T-cell counts and the presence of opportunistic infections, such as thrush et. al. But the underlying problem, the presence of human immunodeficiency virus, is the same. That is what the antibody test responds to-- the presence of HIV."

All I can say is I'm more happy now I got my answer direct from a doctor.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

missingyou HB Usermissingyou HB User

The term full blown aids isn't used anymore because there is no such thing as partially
blown aids you either have aids or you don't.

In late stage AIDs there can be false negative antibody tests but you'd be so very sick it wouldn't be hard to tell something was seriously wrong. This process is known as seroreversion.

Antibodys or immunoglobulins are created in the presence of infections thus it's proof of infection but a regular HIV antibody test doesn't detect actual presence of infection itself like a HIV RNA PCR would. Hence the HIV "window period".

Last edited by missingyou; 09-05-2010 at 09:22 PM.

Closed Thread