It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
(male)

smitmat11 HB User
HIV worries....am I just being hysterical?

Right, where to begin...

Basically my Mother, Father and I went on holiday to the Philippines for five weeks, from the 9th July to the 14th August, to visit family (Mother's side). While out there during the 2nd/3rd week I caught a cold, which had been going round a few of the family. I got more or less the same symptoms I usually get, like headaches, a temperature ,aching and a blocked nose, along with symptoms I don't always experience, like a very chesty cough, and thick phlegm. This pretty much went away after about five days, but it was at this point my worries started, when I noticed a small hard lump in my groin area, which I later found out was likely to be a swollen lymph node. I was advised to take Amoxicillin by my Mother's friend who lives out there, and gradually the 'lump' started to get smaller and softer, and in the past week (about six or seven weeks from noticing it) it's gone completely.

Another symptom I noticed was a dry cough, that seemed to linger on from the cold I had. This has become less and less frequent as time has gone on, to the point where it's hardly bothered me recently, although when I do cough it still sounds slightly chesty. I also got a ridiculous amount of mosquito bites while out there, whether that may be relevant or not I'm not sure.

Other than that I was pretty much fine until we got home, when I noticed another few new symptoms. These included on and off mild headaches, a dry mouth, and a tight feeling in my throat. Bear in mind my parents experienced these symptoms aswell, and my Dad was actually diagnosed with laryngitis. These have been pretty much ongoing, apart from the tight feeling in my throat, which has pretty much cleared away.

However there is one symptom which has caused most of my worry, which I noticed shortly after arriving back home. It was a kind of furry white coating on my tongue, which after doing quite a bit of research online, I've found out is likely to be oral thrush. I think recently it has started to clear up, but this hasn't done much to stop my anguish.

However having said all that, the reasons as to why I think I may just be being hysterical are that I've never had unprotected sex, or sex at all for that matter, nor have I ever shared needles with anyone. While this probably should be enough to convince me that I haven't got HIV, I still worry about the symptoms, and so much so that I have strongly considered being tested.

So are these symptoms more likely linked to my cold, and I am just being hysterical, or are they a cause for concern, enough so that I should get tested.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Having done some research on oral thrush, I have found a few sites saying that it is possible that antibiotics such as amoxcillin can cause thrush. Is this likely?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: HIV worries....am I just being hysterical?

Symptoms dont tell you your HIV status, only a test will... In your case i wouldnt even have a test as you have NO risk. This isnt and wont be your last cold.. besides you need to have unprotected sex with a HIV + person, or share needles with a HIV + person, you have done neither.. yes your being hysterical !!

Last edited by Apollo123; 09-17-2010 at 12:04 AM.

Closed Thread