It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
(female)

NightlyHowl HB User
HIV-2 ..how easy to pass on?

I heard 2 different things. A boy that I want to date and hopefully make into a long term relationship warned me he has HIV-2.

So I looked up information on it from wikipedia which doesn't seem to match up with what he says.
He informed me it could only be transmitted during one of his -outbreaks- of mouth sores..or other symptoms that show themselves.
Wikipedia didn't mention it only being at set times that it could be transmitted...
It did say lesser chance than HIV-1 but...still a chance.
Does it also have the same problems of possibly leading to AIDS, is it still very dangerous once you have it?

I hate to think someone who wants to form a relationship with me started off by lying on something so important.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User
Re: HIV-2 ..how easy to pass on?

hiv1 and hiv2 are different strains of the same hiv virus
they both are transmitted the same way mostly
thru unprotected sex or sharing needles.
and they both will lead to aids
so the info you got was wrong.
having hiv i can understand how hard it is to disclose your status
as i have bailed on people more then once myself rather then having to go thru it
but that is no excuse to fudge up the facts..

Last edited by smiteler; 09-19-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

missingyou HB Usermissingyou HB User

HIV-2 is about 60-70% similar to HIV-1. The Pathogenesis of HIV-2 is different with people Infected with HIV-2 maintaining higher CD4 counts longer. I thought that HIV-2 was as infectious as HIV-1 but after some research it isn't as infectious, that's not to say the risk is only there if your partner has outbreaks of cold sores or other symptoms because that's false.

After a little research. The differences between HIV-2 transmissibility and pathology compared to HIV-1 are not clear but several features offer an explanation.

Features of HIV-2 infection that could explain it's less pathogenic nature compared to HIV-1.

-Lower viral load in blood and genital fluids(sometimes up to 100x less)
-Replication to lower titers in infected cells.
-Lack of modulation on CDA protein on the cell surface.
-Reduced immune activation
-Reduced T cell apoptosis
-Reduced affinity of the envelope gp105(vs gp120) for cell surface receptors.
- Increased B-chemokine induced by the HIV-2 envelope, with subsequent down modulation of the CCR5 receptor.
-Autologous neutralizing antibodies found more frequently than with HIV infection.
-HIV-2 specific T helper cells more preserved and functional.
-Enhanced CD8+ cell noncytotoxic immune response.
- CD8+ cells have a more diverse T cell receptor repertoire.
-Strong CD8+ cell noncytotoxic antiviral response.

A bit off topic but there has been some speculation that certain subtype in the M group of HIV-1 are easier transmitted through vaginal penile intercourse versus the predominant HIV-1 strain in the US which is thought to be easier transmitted through Anal sex(sub type B). Albeit a large portion(if not all) of the reason why anal sex is a higher risk is because of the trauma(which most often causes microscopic bleeding) and micro tears to the anus.

You're best bet for all HIV-1 subtypes or strains and HIV-2 is to assume the risk is 1/1000 for receptive vaginal intercourse and for insertive vaginal intercourse it's 1/2000 if your circumcised or 1/1000 if you aren't. Again there are lot's of factors like if ejaculation took place, the viral load of the HIV + person, if there are any active STD infections(chlamydia, herpses), if there is blood involved from trauma or menstruation.

This guy did mislead you even if it's somewhat less infectious I still wouldn't put myself at risk. Let me repeat he is wrong saying that he is only infectious when he has a cold sore or something else. While yes it may be like 25-50% less infectious than HIV-1(just a guess) the risk is still ALWAYS there.

Last edited by missingyou; 09-20-2010 at 12:05 AM.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:12 AM   #4
(female)

NightlyHowl HB User

Thank you both for your replies. Wow, that really does suck but I am glad you two informed me so I didn't get into anything with lasting effects.

What's now sad now is deciding what to do. Had he been honest with the information ...I wouldn't be as upset...but..I don't want to feel like I'm leaving someone because they have HIV-2, but it seems really screwed up to be lied to about what can cause it to be transmitted....ah well...this is health board not a dating board...

Thanks for your input again!

Old 09-20-2010, 02:24 AM   #5
(male)

ParanoidMan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightlyHowl View Post
I heard 2 different things. A boy that I want to date and hopefully make into a long term relationship warned me he has HIV-2.

So I looked up information on it from wikipedia which doesn't seem to match up with what he says.
He informed me it could only be transmitted during one of his -outbreaks- of mouth sores..or other symptoms that show themselves.
Wikipedia didn't mention it only being at set times that it could be transmitted...
It did say lesser chance than HIV-1 but...still a chance.
Does it also have the same problems of possibly leading to AIDS, is it still very dangerous once you have it?

I hate to think someone who wants to form a relationship with me started off by lying on something so important.
You sure he said HIV-2 and not HSV-2? It sounds like he was describing HSV-2, which is herpes and not hiv/aids...

Old 09-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidMan View Post
You sure he said HIV-2 and not HSV-2? It sounds like he was describing HSV-2, which is herpes and not hiv/aids...
that is sort of what i was thinking,
but i wasn't sure
i have never heard someone before saying they have hiv 1 or 2
it is usually i have hiv !

Old 09-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

missingyou HB Usermissingyou HB User

Its certainly possible he meant HSV-2 not HIV-2. HIV-2 Is very rare in North America, the vast majority of people who have it would likely be from West Africa.

Even if it's HSV-2 there can be viral shedding even when there isn't a visible sore, so you can also get infected without there being a sore or blister. While yes the risk is increased with HSV-2 when there are blisters.

Closed Thread