It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2001, 05:19 AM   #1
Unregistered

? Is it normal to feel lymph glands behind your knee

I had a stupid sexual encountter round about 3 weeks ago that I was told by my doctor was just low risk, but left me anxious.

I have another 8 or nine weeks to take the test, then I will know. If I am getting symptoms I think they are mild, but that doesn't stop me being overvigilant and checking all my self all the time. This is not a nice situation to find oneself in - each twinge becomes like a harbinger. I am trying to ignore this and get on with my life, but I would like some advice about lymph glands. (Hey I've noticed that pretty much anywhere will hurt about an hour after you've probed it to see if it hurts.)

I can feel lymph glands in my neck and beneath (not in) my armpit, but it takes a bit of hunting around for them and so I am not sure that this means they are swollen. Yesterday I noticed I could feel them behind my knee though, and this seemed a bit more strange to me. They are not so easy to locate, but when I straighten my right leg (for example) and press on the left about three cm up from where the knee bends I can feel little glands or lumps. Can anyone tell me if this is normal?

Old 01-23-2001, 05:35 AM   #2

Rachael HB User
Re: ? Is it normal to feel lymph glands behind your knee

Porl,

You do have glands behind your knees, although not as many as in your neck, armpits or groin.

If you have you knee outstretched is likely you will be able to feel them even if they are not swollen just like you seem to be feeling elsewhere in your body.

However, constant probing of lymph nodes will actually cause them to swell so try and keep off it for a few days.

Try to relax for the time being - I'm not sure what your encounter was, but if your doctor tells you it's low risk, take his word for it and try not to worry too much (very easy to say I know!).

Take the test at three and six months and consider a negative result conclusive - if your encounter was low risk, the odds are stacked way against the result being positive anyway.

Feel free to write back if you need more advice.

Good luck and best wishes,

Rachael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2001, 08:09 AM   #3
Unregistered

It certainly is hard not to worry in practice! One thing that doesn't help is checking all over the body for signs - in more detail than I did ever before, so I don't even know if I could feel the nodes before I got anxious. So unfortunately I don't have any benchmark. And unfortunately every time I feel something I didn't know was there I am panicking a little.

Anyway, I am quite thin and I can't feel anything when my leg is not straighth. It's very hard to know what qualifies as swollen when you don't know what they are normally like.

I'll try and leave myself alone for a little. Thanks for your support.

Old 01-23-2001, 10:27 AM   #4

G. De Luca HB User

Hi,
Also rember that sometimes lymphnodes remain enlarged after common illness.
For example, two years ago I had Herpes Zoster and I can still fell lypmhnodes in my neck.
Sorry for bad english but i'm italian
byyyyyyye

Old 01-24-2001, 04:13 AM   #5

Rachael HB User

Porl,

Just to add - as you are thin, it makes it much easier to feel glands than if you have a fuller figure. This may mean you can feel them even though they are not at all swollen.

Rachael

Old 01-26-2001, 07:41 AM   #6
Unregistered

Well thank you. To be honest it is hard to tell whether I have symptoms or not. I think I might have the odd slightly swollen gland here and there, but this sounds like not so uncommon a thing, and I know I have been feeling them quite a bit.
But your support means a lot - thank you.
p

Old 01-26-2001, 05:50 PM   #7

Rachael HB User

Porl,

You do indeed to be another of the <I>worried well</I>. You may or not have experienced symptoms, but stress can cause real physical symptoms. It is highly your glands are not swollen and you are feeling them simply because you are looking extra hard for them.

Rachael

Closed Thread