It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2002, 01:26 PM   #1

JamieMadrox HB User
Do you think i have a chance of getting infected? im freaking out!

hey what's up... i work here at this hospital and i was helping deliver a baby last night.. anyway, when i cut the cord, the cord blood splashed in my face......i tried to turn away , but i don't know if any hit in my eye.... i'm not sure... my question is this, what are the chances of getting HIV thru an eye splash?? if any blood hit my face, it would be like 1 or 2 droplets... by the way, i kinda worry about this alot and i think that's why i'm still a virgin..... i never had sex.... i am waiting till i find the right girl... anyway, i'm just freaking out cuase it happened last night and i looked on the internet for blood splash cases of HIV and i can't find any info on it!!! aghrghrh! help please... i am going to try to call the lady's clinic and try to get the hospital to get her labs (i have access to her labs).. i really hope she had an HIV test... anyway, let me know what you think...

- jamie

Old 02-18-2002, 06:07 PM   #2

ACcutaNE HB User
Re: Do you think i have a chance of getting infected? im freaking out!

as far as I know, you are safe. Though our eyes do have a lot of blood vassels, there's isn't any actual exposure to the inside of the body. Even if the blood got deep inside your eye(which i doubt it did) it would still not be able to goall the way to the system because of the eary eye reacton below the surface whic means you only would have .0000000001 percentage of getting infected.
So Don't worry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2002, 08:45 PM   #3

JamieMadrox HB User

hey thanks... by the way, i went to the hospital and got the patient's labs... according to the labs it says NR next to HIV .. so i guess she's non reactive/ negative.... but still there's a side to me saying, what if that's a mistake.. what if they didn't test HIV and just accidently put it there.. i dunno.. i guess i am getting to paranoid... i guess i need to calm down.. it's kinda funny.. you can believe anything if your mind makes you to ...but thanks for helping me out.

- jamie

Old 02-23-2002, 05:08 AM   #4
Unregistered

You post doesn't make sense. If you work in a hospital and were exposed to blood from a patient why didn't you notify your supervisor? Why weren't you using universal precautions. They would have required having an eye guard on.

You checked out the patient's labs. Tell me. Did you go through hospital protocal or just walk down the hall to get the information without notifying the patient. If you just walked down the hall and got the information, you broke patient/doctor (or any medical facility) confidentiality. Information on HIV status is even more protected than regular medical information. Do you have a signed form from the patient giving permission for this information to be given to you for your own personal benefit?

As far as your exposure. You already found out she was negative. Your exposure would not have put you at great risk anyway.

Matter of fact, you are at greater risk for getting yourself and the hospital sued for big bucks, if the patient ever finds out. I hope she does. What you did may have brought you peace of mind, but it was illegal.

Next time I would suggest you follow the universal precautions guidelines. If you had, you wouldn't have had to worry or break the law.

Old 02-23-2002, 11:13 AM   #5

xoxoxoxo HB User

I agree with the last person, you did not follow the guidelines for patient confidentiality. Your approach was wrong.

There is a risk of getting HIV if blood got in to your eyes. Just like there is a risk of getting semen in your eyes and the person is positive. The best thing you can do it to inform your supervisors of what happened, and get checked out. Also protect yourself using universal precautions, like the last person said. At least if you are working in a hospital, they can give you medications to help stop the disease from taking over if taken within a 72 hour period. That would reduce your risk of infection greatly and you will continued to be tested to make sure that you are ok. But as an employee of a hospital...you should already know that!!!

Old 02-23-2002, 11:12 PM   #6

JamieMadrox HB User

heh heh... thanks for the warm replies....

first of, as far as patient confidentiality is concerned, the patient signed a form stating that it would be ok to be tested for HIV and ok for the results to be indicated on future charts...her HIV status is listed on her history /physical forms availiable for anybody from the medical student to the doctors to the case workers to see!! basically anybody who works in contact with her...

second of all, yes i did break the universal precaution rules... i know that... but the baby was having major decels...there was no doctor around and i have delieverd babies before so that's why they called me in there... it happened literally in 30 seconds.. the cord was wrapped around the baby's neck and quite frankly if i was surprised that i hide time to put on a surgical gown...if i didn't act in time, the baby would have died... the fetal heart strips shows the decels...so quite frankly, i guess i saved the babies life...so i really don't think the mother will sue me.. let's be realistic... besides she signed a waiver for her HIV status to the staff anyway......so give me credit for saving a life and don't paint me out to be an evil guy, cause even though what i did was unethical, you know what, at least i saved a life, and maybe it's not what other people in the medical field would do, but hey at least i can sleep at night knowing, 1.) the HIV status of the patient and 2.) the fact that a mother is with her baby tonight. by the way, i did tell my supervisor and he said to not report it because it was a very low risk situation anyway....

Closed Thread