It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 164
manlyman HB User
Very concerned - hangnail + fingering

Hi all,

I had relations with a girl last night who I barely know. It's rare that I do that. We've talked a few times. But I don't know her history.

I thought we were just going to have sex (and I always use condoms during sex). However, before we had sex she took my fingers and had me finger her.

Afterwards, I remembered that I had bit off a hangnail on one of the fingers that I used to finger her. It still had the crusted blood on the hangnail wound (where the hangnail used to be). It had probably been many hours since I bit the hangnail, and I don't think it was bleeding anymore, but I'm not completely sure. So I'm not completely sure if it was closed up but if it was, it was fairly recently that it had closed up.

What are the chances that I can get HIV from her through this hangnail wound? I'm not sure what the chances are that she is HIV+. She claims she got tested recently for everything because she had an IUD put in, but I don't know that for sure because I don't know her well.

Any thoughts? I'm super worried. Is this PEP worthy?

 
Old 01-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 3,880
smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User
Re: Very concerned - hangnail + fingering

you were at no risk for hiv
people get infected sexually by unprotected vaginal and
anal sex by the friction in the skin by the act.
the microscopic tears in the skin will happen with both parties and the infection will find the path thru the bloods mixing.
you did not have a fresh cut and i doubt you did it long enough
to put enough friction to open a wound on her.
its is not going to jump thru your skin so unless the cut
is openly bleeding there is no path for it to go or get to you.

they wouldn't give you pep anyway
because you would have to of had a high risk act
with a known hiv positive person

imo
pep is overkill and so is testing
unless you need it for psychological reasons
good luck

Last edited by smiteler; 01-23-2011 at 03:34 PM.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,396
joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User
Re: Very concerned - hangnail + fingering

Fingering is not a risk for HIV transmission, even with scrapes, cuts, abrasions, hangnails, etc. This is because breeches of the circulatory systems begin to heal instantaneously after such wounds. This means that your skin still had an effective barrier despite the presence of your hangnail wound. If you had a wound that was sufficient for HIV transmission, you'd be seeking medical attention for your finger, not fingering your partner.

 
Old 01-24-2011, 05:47 AM   #4
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 164
manlyman HB User
Re: Very concerned - hangnail + fingering

So correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying that even though I bit off a hangnail a few hours early, and it was bleeding in between where the skin ends and where the nail begins (in the back corner of my nail) only a few hours earlier, by the time the fingering occurred, that dried blood on my finger would have been just that -- dried blood?

What about the fact that there was now a hole in between where the skin ended and where the nail began? Couldn't some of the vaginal secretions gotten in there and soaked in through whatever small clot had formed a few hours earlier?

Other than fingering, I did kiss her a lot, but I know that's low risk. I also had sex with her, but we used a condom. I went limp halfway through and I pulled out. Before I went back inside her I put another condom on (correctly) after I got hard again. But never went anywhere close to her without a condom on.

So my main worries are the fingering and maybe the kissing, to be honest.

She claims she had an IUD put in two weeks ago and was therefore tested for STDs and is clean, but one: I don't know if that can be trusted because I don't know her, and two: I don't know if that was specifically for HIV. I now know she tends to party a lot so I'm not sure if that would mean she sleeps around also.

Oy

 
Old 01-24-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 3,880
smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User
Re: Very concerned - hangnail + fingering

i have to correct you

once the cut has stopped bleeding and has clotted
the pathway is blocked,no infection can get past this...

if there was a hole left
blood would be comming out from it...
no blood = it is sealed up

you cannot get hiv from fingering someone..
no known cases are out there
to support this!

seeing what you are telling me now,
i would advise you to go get tested

not because you had any risk, but
for the other reasons i mentioned above...

good luck (btw no luck will be needed when you test!)

 
Old 01-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 164
manlyman HB User
Re: Very concerned - hangnail + fingering

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiteler View Post
i have to correct you

once the cut has stopped bleeding and has clotted
the pathway is blocked,no infection can get past this...

if there was a hole left
blood would be comming out from it...
no blood = it is sealed up

you cannot get hiv from fingering someone..
no known cases are out there
to support this!

seeing what you are telling me now,
i would advise you to go get tested

not because you had any risk, but
for the other reasons i mentioned above...

good luck (btw no luck will be needed when you test!)
So if no blood was actively coming out of the nail, then HIV wouldn't be able to get in? But what if there was blood and it was just so small I couldn't see it? Wouldn't HIV still be able to pass? The wound was indeed fresh and new.

 
Old 01-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 3,880
smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User
Re: Very concerned - hangnail + fingering

Quote:
Originally Posted by manlyman View Post
So if no blood was actively coming out of the nail, then HIV wouldn't be able to get in? BINGO!
THAT IS CORRECT.
But what if there was blood and it was just so small I couldn't see it?
IF IT IS BLEEDING YOU WILL SEE BLOOD COMING OUT
NO VISABLE BLOOD FLOWING = CUT SEALED
Wouldn't HIV still be able to pass? NO HIV NEEDS A DIRECT PATH INTO YOUR
BLOODSTREAM
The wound was indeed fresh and new.
NO BLEEDING =NO RISK,ITS THAT SIMPLE
you can keep changing the wording of the question/questions but the answer is still the same

NO ONE has gotten hiv thru fingering someone!

and you will not be the first...
when you test hiv negative
please come back here....
so i can say i told you so!

Last edited by smiteler; 01-24-2011 at 08:15 AM.

 
Old 01-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 164
manlyman HB User
Re: Very concerned - hangnail + fingering

Thank you for helping me run through this.

So if indeed the fingering was a no risk activity, even with the fairly recent wound, I did have two other potential exposures: sex and kissing. However, during the sex I used a condom, so that's clear right? And the kissing thing..... that's pretty common and I would also assume quite rare? My gums bleed sometimes. But who knows.

 
Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 3,880
smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User
Re: Very concerned - hangnail + fingering

Quote:
Originally Posted by manlyman View Post
Thank you for helping me run through this.

So if indeed the fingering was a no risk activity, even with the fairly recent wound, I did have two other potential exposures: sex and kissing. However, during the sex I used a condom, so that's clear right? And the kissing thing..... that's pretty common and I would also assume quite rare? My gums bleed sometimes. But who knows.
the known proven ways you get infected by hiv
(please note how short the list is!!!!!)

1. unprotected vaginal or anal sex
2.iv drug use
3. tranfusion or transplant
4. mother to child
5.occupational accident

you have had NO potential exposures
because what you did isn't on the list..
kissing is NO RISK
using a condom is NO RISK

it is not a "who knows" thing..

 
Old 01-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #10
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 164
manlyman HB User
Re: Very concerned - hangnail + fingering

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiteler View Post
the known proven ways you get infected by hiv
(please note how short the list is!!!!!)

1. unprotected vaginal or anal sex
2.iv drug use
3. tranfusion or transplant
4. mother to child
5.occupational accident

you have had NO potential exposures
because what you did isn't on the list..
kissing is NO RISK
using a condom is NO RISK

it is not a "who knows" thing..
What do you mean a "who knows" thing?

 
Old 01-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 3,880
smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User
Re: Very concerned - hangnail + fingering

Quote:
Originally Posted by manlyman View Post
What do you mean a "who knows" thing?
i was commenting on your remark..

"I used a condom, so that's clear right? And the kissing thing..... that's pretty common and I would also assume quite rare? My gums bleed sometimes. But who knows. "

what i meant was the risks for hiv infection
are well known and not what you are thinking .

 
Old 01-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 164
manlyman HB User
Re: Very concerned - hangnail + fingering

OK, awesome.

Plus, the chances of her being infected with HIV are probably rare. Someone just told me the average female woman in the US is only 1/1000.

I was thinking it was more like 1/10.

 
Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 3,880
smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User
Re: Very concerned - hangnail + fingering

Quote:
Originally Posted by manlyman View Post
OK, awesome.

Plus, the chances of her being infected with HIV are probably rare. Someone just told me the average female woman in the US is only 1/1000.

I was thinking it was more like 1/10.
i stick with the facts..

i don't play odds and i try my best not to mention them at all
because they mean nothing.

i learned this firsthand because the odds of me getting infected,
were about the same as winning the lottery...
enough said...
good luck

 
Old 01-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #14
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 164
manlyman HB User
Re: Very concerned - hangnail + fingering

Makes sense! You've calmed me down, thank you.

Now my only worry is pregnancy. I did indeed "finish", but I was wearing a condom. She says she has an IUD / is on birth control, so hopefully the two combined keeps things clear.

 
Old 01-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #15
Facilitator
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: england
Posts: 6,242
Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Very concerned - hangnail + fingering

Well she isnt going to get pregnant if you wear a condom, and before you say its possible, the odds are in the millions lol. No risk of HIV or a baby.
__________________
“Morality is only moral when it is voluntary.”

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
HIV from fingering HypoChon HIV Prevention 1 06-03-2010 03:17 PM
very concerned.. worriedalex HIV Prevention 2 05-25-2005 08:08 AM
Very Concerned USCFANMAN HIV Prevention 3 05-10-2005 08:52 AM
Fingering a girl Shibba HIV Prevention 7 07-12-2004 09:58 AM
HIV/AIDS Through fingering. Inthebox HIV Prevention 3 05-14-2004 02:21 AM




« Nervous | Test done »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Apollo123 (884), blokecalledkev (443), smiteler (428), joggen (171), SOTM (96), guyfromnorth (50), Kszan (25), NervousNelly1 (10), capehatteras (10), ty7721 (9)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1006), Apollo123 (906), Titchou (852), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:09 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.com™ All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!