It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
(male)

1chance HB User
ARS possible symptoms

about 2 months ago i made a one time stupid mistake of having an unprotected sex with a woman i just met. The biggest mistake in my part was to ask her if she was safe and for me to believe her. In my whole life i have never done anything like this before I took a risk and thought about my odds and her telling me truth. However after making this mistake i begin to feel these possible ARS symptoms 8-13 days following the incident. Reading online all symptoms seem to match this has me very scared. I felt swollen glands in the neck, slight fever, diarrhea, nausea, headache, night sweats, and Thrush. the nighttime sweat was like no others as i wake up drenching but also notice Peripheral Neuropathy which felt numbness, tingling, burning and pain in hands and feet. Everyone says symptoms are not specific but with thrush, nighttime sweat and Peripheral Neuropathy seem like a very specific symptoms specially when combine. I took a 4 week test and the result came negative, doctors are telling me my 4 week test is nearly conclusive almost around 90% test positive by 1 month. I find this hard to believe as i know my risk and symptoms seem to match. not sure can this be case of late seroconversion as symptoms were felt upto 3.5 weeks.

I made this mistake once and seems it will cost me everything. When looking at odds and number of people HIV never crossed my mind. I took this chance once in my whole life because i was intoxicated. So it would just be an unfortune and sad situation. So with all symptoms apparant can this really be ARS?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: ARS possible symptoms

Ok firstly, the odds of getting HIV from one exposure are 1000-1. The odds she was HIV postive are less than 1%. Lets bear this in mind.
As for your ARS symptoms. Basicaly, you have read some info and really got a lot of it mixed up. NP is NOT a sign of ARS at all. I could go into more detail about symptoms but its all speaculative buddy.
Depending on the test you had it would be 95%- 99%. As i dont know which one, i would recommend a HIV duo test now. At 2 months your results will be conclusive and this will all be over.

Calm down buddy, i think all is ok. The fact you tested negative after symptoms really would mean to me your HIV negative

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 02-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Hi there,

What the doctors told was not only said to ease your mind but was actually the truth. The vast majority of HIV infections are detected at four weeks. Four Gen HIV tests were approved for use throughout the US last year and are extemely sensitive and will detect the presence of HIV from a very early stage.

Yes you made a mistake, buddy, we all make mistakes, it's what makes us human, please stop beating yourself up over it. You have also made another mistake, I made the same, the same mistake that is made over and over again. That is reading up on HIV symptoms, examining yourself and trying to diagnose yourself. Please, please stop doing this, HIV cannot be diagnosed through self examination, it is only diagnosed one way, an HIV test. The amount or lack of symptoms you may or may not have cannot determine your HIV status.

You have had an HIV test, if it was 4th gen then the chances of your results changing are very slim. Even if it was 3rd gen the chances are very slim. Listen , buddy, you had unprotected sex which is a risk but you don't even know if the person you were with actually had HIV. Over all given your risk and you recent test, the chances are very slim that you have HIV. I would advise you to simply go and have another test at this point (eight weeks) and take it from there. I advise you to do this, not because I think you at a very high risk but simply to ease your mind. In the mean time, please, please no more Googling " HIV symptoms".

Regards Kevin.

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
setare7 (05-17-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 03:30 AM   #4
(male)

1chance HB User

Thanks for your response. Test i took was the basic Elisa test at my local hospital not the DUO, P24 antigen was not used just the antibody test, antibody takes longer to produce while the p24 can be detected earlier.
Also do hear NP is usually a symptoms experianced in advance stage HIV, however i also learned that very few rarely do experiance this symptoms. When i experianced this symptom it was usually felt along with the nightsweat when i wake up in the middle of the night, i feel my hands and feet were numb. Although i like to believe this is stress but if it was it would still have lasted till now because im still stressed about it, but this lasted only to the time ARS was described which was 2-3 weeks.
Considering the odds of getting the virus is slim in a one time act, but considering the circumstances of being drunk i may have put myself in even worse odds since i was drunk. Since alcohol tends to make the intercourse last longer and turn out to be more rough therefore the exposure and type of sex makes it even more likely. which i remember having hard time to ejaculate.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
(male)

1chance HB User

thank you for the advice. test taken was an ELISA test antibody only. CDC mentions average being 25 days but that would mean around 50%. However, many are saying these tests are 90% some 75% at 4 weeks. I want to believe its true but finding data thats accurate is not easy when it comes to HIV. Even looking at people that might have exposure with chances of 1-1000 being infected, its likely they will test negative considering the over all population of those being tested. how ever these people may not feel symptoms or have only 1 or 2 symptoms and these people represent about 30% since more than 70% actually do experiance real symptoms. Im guessing adding these numbers increases the odds and makes it unlikely to bee infected. Wht im wondering is if these people are actually experiancing these scary symptoms with exactly time frame with specific symptoms such as thrush and nightsweat, which i think puts me in a more higher category of people that may change their negative to a positive after 4 weeks. I want to move on but now the idea of testing has even worried me more, because if the numbers are on my side i would be a one very unlucky person. In addtion, this being my only risk ever i dont think i would handle the test of being positive. If it was that easy than the whole world would be infected because i only did this once always used protection but somehow became persuaded to believe her words. Now im worried who knows what intention she may have had looking back at it the whole situation was suspecious. In fact, i hear there is some out there who have cruel intention of wanting to infect others out of anger.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

calm down
stop looking at what ifs? and believe what is...
your symptoms CANNOT diagnose you...
only a TEST can.
the test so far says you don't have it.
the test is the only accurate way to kinow what your status is.
so, alot of your thinking is WRONG.

here is the what is...
your doctors are saying your almost conclusivly negative
your test is saying you are almost conclusivly negative
that means most likely you are negative.

all of your self examinations,symptoms and fears
are all what ifs...

so riddle me this..
what makes more sense to be true???
what is?
or what if?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

1 chance. I dont have time to respond to all you have posted and i really dont need to. All you have to do is go for a HIVDUO and your results are 100%. When you do it will im sure be negative

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 02-07-2011, 07:11 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chance View Post
thank you for the advice. test taken was an ELISA test antibody only. CDC mentions average being 25 days but that would mean around 50%. However, many are saying these tests are 90% some 75% at 4 weeks. I want to believe its true but finding data thats accurate is not easy when it comes to HIV. Even looking at people that might have exposure with chances of 1-1000 being infected, its likely they will test negative considering the over all population of those being tested. how ever these people may not feel symptoms or have only 1 or 2 symptoms and these people represent about 30% since more than 70% actually do experiance real symptoms. Im guessing adding these numbers increases the odds and makes it unlikely to bee infected. Wht im wondering is if these people are actually experiancing these scary symptoms with exactly time frame with specific symptoms such as thrush and nightsweat, which i think puts me in a more higher category of people that may change their negative to a positive after 4 weeks. I want to move on but now the idea of testing has even worried me more, because if the numbers are on my side i would be a one very unlucky person. In addtion, this being my only risk ever i dont think i would handle the test of being positive. If it was that easy than the whole world would be infected because i only did this once always used protection but somehow became persuaded to believe her words. Now im worried who knows what intention she may have had looking back at it the whole situation was suspecious. In fact, i hear there is some out there who have cruel intention of wanting to infect others out of anger.
Hi there,

Ok let’s look at this figure. I am going to actually put this into perspective for you because you seem very concerned that 70% of people who experience symptoms actually test positive. OK, here are some figures.

In 2008 in the UK appox 950,000 HIV tests were carried out. Of all them approx 7,300 tested positive. That is approx 0.7%. The other 99.3 % of those people tested negative.

In the same year in the US a report from 33 projects offered figures from 249,374 tests of which 2,876 people tested positive. This is approx 1.15 %, the other 98.85% tested negative.

I have bolded the important figures, because they show a huge amount of people test negative even though many people think they may have HIV symptoms. But the reality is that very few actually do have HIV symptoms because they test negative. Of the very small percentage of people that do test positive, even they have differing symptoms. So when you quote some 70% of people, you are actually quoting 70% of a very small percentage of people who test.

Please trust your tests, please stop trying to diagnose yourself through symptoms, it cannot be done. The only way to find out your status is through an HIV test. Odds, statistics, figures and symptoms do not determine anybody's status, an HIV test does. Please, as advised, go for one now and find out what your status is rather than dwelling on bad scenarios and what ifs. You are faced with a very simple choice here buddy. If your symptoms are HIV related you will test positive now, today. If they are not you will test negative, now, today. If you are concerned about having a test, don’t be, because you need to know one way or the other. In all likelihood they are not related to HIV and a test will confirm this for you.

Regards Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 02-07-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: typos and clarify

Old 02-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #9
(male)

1chance HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokecalledkev View Post
Hi there,

Ok let’s look at this figure. I am going to actually put this into perspective for you because you seem very concerned that 70% of people who experience symptoms actually test positive. OK, here are some figures.

In 2008 in the UK appox 950,000 HIV tests were carried out. Of all them approx 7,300 tested positive. That is approx 0.7%. The other 99.3 % of those people tested negative.

In the same year in the US a report from 33 projects offered figures from 249,374 tests of which 2,876 people tested positive. This is approx 1.15 %, the other 98.85% tested negative.

I have bolded the important figures, because they show a huge amount of people test, many people think they may have HIV symptoms. But the reality is that very few actually do have HIV symptoms because they test negative. Of the very small percentage of people that do test positive, even they have differing symptoms. So when you quote some 70% of people, you are actually quoting 70% of a very small percentage of people who test.

Please trust your tests, please stop trying to diagnose yourself through symptoms, it cannot be done. The only way to find out your status is through an HIV test. Odds, statistics, figures and symptoms do not determine anybody's status, an HIV test does. Please, as advised, go for one now and find out what your status is rather than dwelling on bad scenarios and what ifs. You are faced with a very simple choice here buddy. If your symptoms are HIV related you will test positive now, today. If they are not you will test negative, now, today. If you are concerned about having a test, don’t be, because you need to know one way or the other. In all likelihood they are not related to HIV and a test will confirm this for you.

Regards Kevin.

I have always used protection some how being convinced i believe her as i did not have condom at the time and i was drunk. This was my first time i engaged in something like that. I thought to myself i would never do it again it was an accident that will never happen again. Being always feared of this scenerio i asked her before and she said she is clean. The intercourse happened in the living room and i remember she did not want me going in her room as she had several medicine laying around and she hid them so i became suspecious and wondered what she could be hiding. All these events from that night has me really worried because she might be infected. And in addition she does not want to take HIV test. And when asked she says she took it yesrerday and then the next week she replys the same thing week after week she replies she has taken the test the day before. Im grewing higly suspicious she has the virus but does not want to tell.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
I have always used protection some how being convinced i believe her as i did not have condom at the time and i was drunk. This was my first time i engaged in something like that. I thought to myself i would never do it again it was an accident that will never happen again. Being always feared of this scenerio i asked her before and she said she is clean. The intercourse happened in the living room and i remember she did not want me going in her room as she had several medicine laying around and she hid them so i became suspecious and wondered what she could be hiding. All these events from that night has me really worried because she might be infected. And in addition she does not want to take HIV test. And when asked she says she took it yesrerday and then the next week she replys the same thing week after week she replies she has taken the test the day before. Im grewing higly suspicious she has the virus but does not want to tell.
Then get tested than. So many times have i seen threads like this that go on telling a story then all the paranoia etc and then they are always negative.
So getting tested will end all this.
Are you going to get tested again?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

Quote:
thats all imagination and speculation
even if this girl had hiv (which i would doubt)
it doesn't mean you got hiv.

what is fact was your test result that you feel is wrong!
it looks like the only way
you will learn your mistake of doing this is
when you get your next test done.

you seem to ignore the advice you have gotten here
with reasons that are not facts
and it looks like you have convinced yourself you have hiv.
thats not how it rolls..

Old 02-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

@ 1chance,

An HIV test.

Please look at the three words above. They are the solution to all your worries, all you concerns, all your what if's, all your suspicions, all your doubts. The above three words are the solution to all your worries and will allow you to move on.

You cannot diagnose HIV through symptoms, you cannot be offered an online diagnosis based on your symptoms, it is impossible. HIV is not diagnosed by you suspecting the lady involved may have had HIV and may have intentionally infected you. There is only one way to determine your HIV status, it is bolded up above. Please do yourself a huge favor and go for one, again.

Regards Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 02-07-2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: typos

Old 02-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #13
(male)

capehatteras HB Usercapehatteras HB Usercapehatteras HB Usercapehatteras HB User
Smile Re: ARS possible symptoms

hey there,

So as you know many of us have had the same scare as you. I am not a doctor but i met with a few over the last 6 months here is the deal:

HIV is not a symptom specific virus, unlike other ilness it's initial symptoms mimic all common illness. If someone is expierencing symptoms that is the bodie's immune response. Most people will be positive shortly after, hence you produce antibodies to attack the virus. So yes a 3 week test is early, however 1) it provides a baseline and 2) like everyone has said tests are more sensitive they are able to pick up infection sooner. Find a clinic or hospital that offeres the DUO test and do it at 28 days, i would encourage you not to spend the 100's of dollars on pcr tests.

My final advise is to take some time, let this eb a learnign expierence and enjoy what is most important to you...LIFE.

Kind regards,
Cape

Old 02-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
(male)

1chance HB User

im taking a one of those home test kits in which i mail it in and get results in 3 days.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #15
(male)

capehatteras HB Usercapehatteras HB Usercapehatteras HB Usercapehatteras HB User

dude don't do that go to a clinic that does a rapid test you will know in 20 mins why wait?

Closed Thread