It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
(male)

1chance HB User
8 weeks test negative still worried

I had a risky unprotected encounter with a woman about 10 weeks ago. During the first 4 weeks i experianced nearlly all ARS symptoms except for rash. I had it all including thrush, nightsweat, and fever. Having not experianced this before i can only conclude that my one time risky exposure has caused these symptoms to occur. Having been under high anxiety and stress, i tested at 4 weeks which came back negative. I tested again at the 8th week using Home Access Express HIV-1 Test System and the result was negative. I have been told the 8th week tests is conclusive and i have also been told the 12 weeks or upto the 6 months is the only way to know. The virus seems to vary in different people and can stay dormant even for years on some people. The 8th weeks was relieving, but the anxiety is begining to build again as i suddenly began to have sinus allergies this past week at the 9th week mark. Im begining to worry that the reason why i have easily became sick can be caused by the fact that i have seroconverted, Since this would be caused by immunodeficiency as immune problems related to antibody formation do commonly cause sinusitis and pneumonia.

Last edited by 1chance; 02-18-2011 at 03:49 PM.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User
Re: 8 weeks test negative still worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chance View Post
I had a risky unprotected encounter with a woman about 10 weeks ago. During the first 4 weeks i experianced nearlly all ARS symptoms except for rash. I had it all including thrush, nightsweat, and fever. Having not experianced this before i can only conclude that my one time risky exposure has caused these symptoms to occur. Having been under high anxiety and stress, i tested at 4 weeks which came back negative. I tested again at the 8th week using Home Access Express HIV-1 Test System and the result was negative. I have been told the 8th week tests is conclusive and i have also been told the 12 weeks or upto the 6 months is the only way to know. The virus seems to vary in different people and can stay dormant even for years on some people. The 8th weeks was relieving, but the anxiety is begining to build again as i suddenly began to have sinus allergies this past week at the 9th week mark. Im begining to worry that the reason why i have easily became sick can be caused by the fact that i have seroconverted, Since this would be caused by immunodeficiency as immune problems related to antibody formation do commonly cause sinusitis and pneumonia.

Hi there,

This is untrue. The dormancy period you are referring to and don't quite understand is after the initial infection. The dormancy period is when your body stops reacting to the infection. Once HIV gets into the body it begins to reproduce. This is called the primary/initial infection, or variations of. During this period your body's immune system will react and try to fight the infection. This is called Seroconversion, basically when you cease to be HIV negative and become HIV positive. This period is when everybody's immune system will , without fail, produce antibodies. With modern HIV tests detectable levels of antibodies can be observed between two to four weeks, they will not be missed (this is year 2011 not the 80's). Your tests were designed and perfected to detect these antibodies ( plus the protein that actually lives on the virus). The virus once it is altered to the antibodies will "hibernate" and stop reproducing in order to fool the immune system but it does not become dormant nor do the antibodies disappear. They remain and are detected by extremely accurate and sensitive (which have been perfected through many years of field trials) HIV antibody tests.

Yours test are conclusive, accept this if you wish or continue to search the net in order to dismiss medical science. Years of real research tell you that you have not got HIV, not Google searches and reading outdated stuff that as be floating around the net for years.
Kevin

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 02-18-2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: typos and added stuff

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

You don't have HIV. There are some who work in the HIV field who still recommend a 12 week antibody test, since this is what the FDA and manufacturers of the tests go by, but this is conservative and outdated. Observations in the field by physicians who test thousands of patients have shown that it never takes longer than 6-8 weeks for people to seroconvert (i.e. produce antibodies). If you feel that you will accept the result, go ahead and have a final test at 12 weeks (the official window period)- it will be negative. And if you cannot or won't accept the result, the next logical step is to talk with a therapist.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
(male)

1chance HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joggen View Post
You don't have HIV. There are some who work in the HIV field who still recommend a 12 week antibody test, since this is what the FDA and manufacturers of the tests go by, but this is conservative and outdated. Observations in the field by physicians who test thousands of patients have shown that it never takes longer than 6-8 weeks for people to seroconvert (i.e. produce antibodies). If you feel that you will accept the result, go ahead and have a final test at 12 weeks (the official window period)- it will be negative. And if you cannot or won't accept the result, the next logical step is to talk with a therapist.

Is this only applying to new generation testing(4th generation) which i hear are much more accurate. I believe i tested using 3rd generation ELISA therefore how much can i relay on a 8 week tests based on just an ELISA tests.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

Quote:
Is this only applying to new generation testing(4th generation) which i hear are much more accurate. I believe i tested using 3rd generation ELISA therefore how much can i relay on a 8 week tests based on just an ELISA tests.
I was referring to third generation tests. They're essentially 100% accurate at 8 weeks.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Hi there,

The reliably of your test is determined by your risk factor and your own peace of mind. A 3rd gen test will not pick up the HIV antibodies as early as an 4th gen test but is still extremely reliable. At eight weeks the results from each will be the same. As advised, if you wish to take it to the wire, please go for a test at 12 weeks, it will not change.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 02-18-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

your test results mean more then any
sickness/symptoms you may have.
your imagination/feelings are no match for a hiv test.
if you keep testing let us know how you make out.
we here will already know the results before you come back.
good luck

Old 02-18-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
(male)

1chance HB User

According to this forum and many others, almost 100% of these people coming worried seem to make it fine which almost seems unrealistic specially with the rates increasing during these past few years. So im surprise to find anyone that has ever seen a 4, 6, 8 weeks test turn positive. And knowing its very challenging to deal with i doubt anyone would ever post their results.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

Quote:
According to this forum and many others, almost 100% of these people coming worried seem to make it fine which almost seems unrealistic specially with the rates increasing during these past few years. So im surprise to find anyone that has ever seen a 4, 6, 8 weeks test turn positive. And knowing its very challenging to deal with i doubt anyone would ever post their results.
thats wrong,
what you can't accept is that
the tests are that good today...
thats why nobody comes back with positive results
when your imagination goes against a test it will lose every time.
if i could bet on it, i wouldn't have to work again.!

most of the people who get infected,don't worry
or even think about it until its too late
and when they get tested, they test positive
they also show a specific set of symptoms that happen
together in a time period.
so the way you are mapping
it out with your symptoms is wrong also.
but you will figure that out
all on your own
with your next neg test result

Old 02-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
(male)

1chance HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiteler View Post
thats wrong,
what you can't accept is that
the tests are that good today...
thats why nobody comes back with positive results
when your imagination goes against a test it will lose every time.
if i could bet on it, i wouldn't have to work again.!

most of the people who get infected,don't worry
or even think about it until its too late
and when they get tested, they test positive
they also show a specific set of symptoms that happen
together in a time period.
so the way you are mapping
it out with your symptoms is wrong also.
but you will figure that out
all on your own
with your next neg test result

I agree most people never worry or think about it until they randomly go for a routine check up and suddenly find they are infected. However im one of those that really did experianced the symptoms. approximately 12 days after exposure i experianced every bit of the ARS symptoms. Had fever, lympe node, headache, stomach ache, nightsweat, and oral thrush. Never had oral thrush before how is it suddenly appearing after my one time risky exposure, this lasted about 3 weeks which seems to match exactly with ARS in all aspects. 8 week negative test has come as a surprise to me but this 12 week would mean everything.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
However im one of those that really did experianced the symptoms. approximately 12 days after exposure i experianced every bit of the ARS symptoms. .
no you didn't.....
you only imagine you did...
yes you got sick
no you have no idea if it was ars or what it was...
your self diagnosis is WRONG
the test says it wasn't hiv
my money is on the test result.

Last edited by smiteler; 02-18-2011 at 09:26 PM.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:53 AM   #12
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Symptoms are speculative results are conclusive. So what ever you belive or want to worry about is up to you. Get the 13 week test, and what ever result you get will be fully conclusive and no more testing will be required.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 02-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #13
(male)

1chance HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiteler View Post
no you didn't.....
you only imagine you did...
yes you got sick
no you have no idea if it was ars or what it was...
your self diagnosis is WRONG
the test says it wasn't hiv
my money is on the test result.

I wish this was just a bad dream but the signs were real and symptoms were visible. I have read people here who had even higher exposure but their symptoms were never as close to resemble ARS.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #14
(male)

1chance HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo123 View Post
Symptoms are speculative results are conclusive. So what ever you belive or want to worry about is up to you. Get the 13 week test, and what ever result you get will be fully conclusive and no more testing will be required.
A 12 weeks is I guess a must, at first I debated to move on with my 8 week test. But as I continue reading from many experts, I notice that the 6 or 8 week seems to likely apply to those with lower risk exposure. But say if someone really had an exposure unprotected anal or vaginal with a known positive person would 6 or 8 weeks still mean the same thing.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #15
(male)

1chance HB User
Smile Re: 8 weeks test negative still worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokecalledkev View Post
Hi there,

This is untrue. The dormancy period you are referring to and don't quite understand is after the initial infection. The dormancy period is when your body stops reacting to the infection. Once HIV gets into the body it begins to reproduce. This is called the primary/initial infection, or variations of. During this period your body's immune system will react and try to fight the infection. This is called Seroconversion, basically when you cease to be HIV negative and become HIV positive. This period is when everybody's immune system will , without fail, produce antibodies. With modern HIV tests detectable levels of antibodies can be observed between two to four weeks, they will not be missed (this is year 2011 not the 80's). Your tests were designed and perfected to detect these antibodies ( plus the protein that actually lives on the virus). The virus once it is altered to the antibodies will "hibernate" and stop reproducing in order to fool the immune system but it does not become dormant nor do the antibodies disappear. They remain and are detected by extremely accurate and sensitive (which have been perfected through many years of field trials) HIV antibody tests.

Yours test are conclusive, accept this if you wish or continue to search the net in order to dismiss medical science. Years of real research tell you that you have not got HIV, not Google searches and reading outdated stuff that as be floating around the net for years.
Kevin
I understand seroconversion occurs after ARS WHICH generally last 2 - 4 weeks, therefore a test at 4 weeks should be considered conclusive since seroconversion occurs after symptoms disappear. So why is 8 or 12 still required, does this mean antibody can also still be delay or vary in each person for example patients with certain illness that are told to wait longer because their body may have not produced enough antibody, but if these people did experiance ARS wouldnt their test be just as accurate since seronversion occurs right after ARS. I'm also aware of the modern testing being 2011 should expect all hospitals to upgrade their testing equipments however it has been challengin info to find what generation testing they use. I'm only aware that its antibody test using ELISA, no further detail is ever described. I wouldn't be surprise that these testing equipments are Outdated since their is no regulation forcing them to upgrade, most may just decide save cost using outdated equipments.

Closed Thread