It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
(male)

Sscaredalec HB User
Unhappy What are the chances of contracting HIV while using a condom

I am an 18 year old male that has lost my virginity about 6 weeks ago. I had sex with my girlfriend at the time. I used a condom and ejaculated outside of her. Now the concern is that one of her previous partners has had a test that has come back HIV pos. He is a drug user and from my understanding contracted it from needle use. I had sex with her 3+4 weeks after her episode with him. His test is very recent, this week actually.Like I said I used a condom, and she had no bleeding. I have a congenital heart defect and a pacemaker and I am beyond scared. My questions are when should I get tested to know a definit answer,should I be worried at all and if I have contracted it what will this do to my previous medical condition.

Thank you,
Alec

Last edited by Mod-S4; 02-27-2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: There are no doctors posting on these boards.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User
Re: What are the chances of contracting HIV while using a condom

you used a condom, so you are safe
and should have no worries at all about hiv.

good move on your part because
you had no chance of getting hiv when you did that.
good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to smiteler For This Useful Post:
Sscaredalec (02-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
(male)

Sscaredalec HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiteler View Post
you used a condom, so you are safe
and should have no worries at all about hiv.

good move on your part because
you had no chance of getting hiv when you did that.
good luck
When would you consider getting a test for a "for sure" answer.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

You can already be sure that you didn't catch HIV as it cannot be transmitted though a condom. There is no doubt about your HIV status- an intact condom is 100% biologically effective. However, it's obviously important that your girlfriend get tested ASAP, and that if you continue to have sex with her you keep using condoms consistently for vaginal or anal sex until you know her status.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Good advise from Joggen, always wear a condom with your girl friend and she certainly needs to get tested for HIV and you need to know her status, more so if a your condom breaks in the future. She can test with a HIV DUO ( 4 weeks after exposure and onwards) or a simple antibody test will be conclusive 6 weeks and onwards. You have no need to test for HIV as condoms when used correctly, are 100% safe in the protection of HIV.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 02-28-2011, 03:46 AM   #6
(male)

Sscaredalec HB User

Thank you to both of you. You have calmed my nerves a ton. I am still going to get tested, considering it has been 6 weeks since we had sex. I only had sex with her one time, so I think my chances are pretty slim.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:48 AM   #7
(female)

pfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB User

If your girlfriend tests positive, and you are worried that you contracted it, you should get a test at 4 weeks and then again at 12 weeks, but condoms protect you, so you should test negative. Because of the condom, you shouldn't worry about this. Just view it as a precaution.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:25 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sscaredalec View Post
Thank you to both of you. You have calmed my nerves a ton. I am still going to get tested, considering it has been 6 weeks since we had sex. I only had sex with her one time, so I think my chances are pretty slim.
Hi there,

You are wise to test , for ease of mind. It is unlikely that you will have contracted HIV from this, a condom , if used correctly is 100% effective against HIV. You are actually to be congratulated for taking such a precaution, so well done to you. You situation could have been far different had you not used one.

As advise it is important that your girlfriend gets herself checked out. It is equally very important that you continue to practice the safe sex you have been practicing, until such a time you are 100% certain of your girlfriends , or any other future partners for that matter, HIV status.

Take care, Kevin.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
(female)

LLLILLL HB User

I am sure by this point you have been tested and I hope everything is ok. However I wanted to correct some very wrong, and dangerous information. Joggen stated that you cannot get HIV if you used a condom. That is not true. Properly using a condom (the key word there is properly) is in fact the BEST way of preventing HIV infection, however it is not 100%. First one can not say you are safe because we have no way of knowing if you used the condom properly. Second even if you did there is still a very slight chance that you can get it. A slight chance, but a chance just the same. Condoms are 98% effective against pregnancy when used correctly. However the HIV virus is much smaller than a human sperm cell. For a size comparison look here: http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/begin/cells/scale/ you will have to scale in. So if a sperm can get through a condom you better bet that the HIV virus can as well. There are studies to back this up. I don't want to worry you, but I do want to make sure you, and anyone else reading this, understands the truth. The soonest HIV will show up on a test is 6 weeks, but it can take up to 6 months. I would get tested again after 6 months if you tested negative before. I wish you, and your girlfriend the best.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

@ Sscaredalec,

There have been no scientific studies that show HIV can pass through a condom ( nor sperm for that matter), quite the reverse there have been verified scientific studies that prove condoms will protect against HIV, 100% (when used correctly).

CDC says this.
Quote:
The body of research on the effectiveness of latex condoms in preventing sexual transmission of HIV is both comprehensive and conclusive. The ability of latex condoms to prevent transmission of HIV has been scientifically established in “real-life” studies of sexually active couples as well as in laboratory studies.

http://www.cdc.gov/condomeffectiveness/latex.htm

The 98% effectivness comes from the known factor of breakages and slippage only and all are put down to incorrect use. HIV cannot pass through a condom it is a urban myth.

Modern tests are 100% conclusive at 3 months. Many of the leading experts express the opinion a 6 to 8 weeks test is now conclusive.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 04-25-2011 at 03:08 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
joggen (04-25-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLILLL View Post
I am sure by this point you have been tested and I hope everything is ok. However I wanted to correct some very wrong, and dangerous information. Joggen stated that you cannot get HIV if you used a condom. That is not true. Properly using a condom (the key word there is properly) is in fact the BEST way of preventing HIV infection, however it is not 100%.
i guess its my turn to correct some very wrong
and what could be dangerous information to some one's mental health

studies have shown
a properly used condom will be 100% effective against
the transfer of hiv.
when there is condom failure or it slips off is when there is a risk for infection.

joggen gave out the correct information

The Following User Says Thank You to smiteler For This Useful Post:
joggen (04-25-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
(male)

krizner HB User

This is from French official guideline. They use the same HIV DUO tests as those used in USA and all around the world.

Quote:
Compte-tenu de la performance des techniques actuellement disponibles sur le marché européen, un résultat négatif du test de dépistage ELISA combiné 6 semaines après l’exposition supposée pourra être considéré comme signant l’absence d’infection par le VIH. En cas de traitement prophylactique post-exposition, le délai reste de 3 mois après l’arrêt du traitement.

Google english translation

Quote:
Given the performance of the techniques currently available on the market European, a negative screening test ELISA 6 weeks after combined the expected exposure may be considered signing the absence of HIV infection. If post-exposure prophylaxis, the deadline is 3 months after stopping treatment.

Quote:
Stratégie de dépistage et diagnostic biologique en cas d’exposition supposée au VIH datant de moins de 6 semaines et en l’absence de traitement prophylactique

Une recherche initiale d’infection par le VIH, selon les modalités définies précédemment, doit être réalisée chez le sujet exposé dès la première consultation. Elle sera répétée 6 semaines après l’exposition supposée au VIH.

Strategy of screening and laboratory diagnosis in cases of suspected exposure to HIV
older than 6 weeks and in the absence of prophylaxis

An initial search of HIV infection, in the manner defined above, should be performed in the exposed from the first consultation. It will be repeated 6 weeks after presumed exposure to HIV.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #13
(female)

LLLILLL HB User

The CDC does NOT say that condoms are 100%. Just the opposite. You did not read, or quote them in their entirety. I don't know how to post a quote but this is copied and pasted from their web site:
"Latex condoms, when used consistently and correctly, are highly effective in preventing heterosexual sexual transmission of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. Research on the effectiveness of latex condoms in preventing heterosexual transmission is both comprehensive and conclusive. The ability of latex condoms to prevent transmission has been scientifically established in laboratory studies as well as in epidemiologic studies of uninfected persons at very high risk of infection because they were involved in sexual relationships with HIV-infected partners. The most recent meta-analysis of epidemiologic studies of condom effectiveness was published by Weller and Davis in 2004. This analysis refines and updates their previous report published in 1999. The analysis demonstrates that the consistent use of latex condoms provides a high degree of protection against heterosexual transmission of HIV. It should be noted that condom use cannot provide absolute protection against HIV. The surest way to avoid transmission of HIV is to abstain from sexual intercourse or to be in a long-term mutually monogamous relationship with a partner who has been tested and you know is uninfected."
Highly is not the same as absolute. Also they state that "It should be noted that condom use cannot provide absolute protection against HIV." You can read what they say here: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/prevention.htm
Also, according the the AIDS Healthcare Foundation, condoms are 80-95% effective in preventing HIV. That leaves a 5-20% chance of still contracting HIV. Rather high I would say for something that is suppose to be 100%. You can read that here: http://www.aidshealth.org/public-health/prevention-guidelines/proper-condom-use.html
As for those saying there are no studies proving HIV has gotten through condoms that is wrong. I have read studies about that. Sadly I do not have them with me to give you the name of these studies.
As far as the testing goes. 6-12 weeks is considered the normal time frame for when HIV can be detected. In rare instances it can take up to 6 months. Is that normal? No. But if it were my health and I was at all concerned that I was exposed to HIV you can bet I would be tested again after six months.
And lastly I would like to know who of you were there watching them have sex to know that a condom was used properly anyway. If it wasn't used properly there is a chance of getting HIV. So telling this kid he is ok is dangerous.
I have no intention of debating this information with any of you. I know the truth, I have provided the truth, and I'm not going to go back and for with you over this. Take what you want out of it but I refuse to allow wrong information to be spread.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:45 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

i'm not arguing with you either

all i will say is your interpratation
of what you are reading is wrong
WHERE did the cdc say the exact reasons are for condom failures????

they sure do not state that hiv will penatrate thru a condom
as you are infering and telling people they are wrong
for saying otherwise.
where do they state that??
because of a percentage they happen to mention
that you interprate to say all of that????

all you have so far is hearsay and YOUR interpratation
of what you are reading.
where are these cases of infections from people properly using a condom???

if what you are saying has any credibility of being true
you better start finding a few cases
and showing that us here are all wrong.
since your odds say there must be more then one of these cases out there??????
good luck with your search
i'm sure next,
you will tell me how oral sex is a risk for hiv also.....

Last edited by smiteler; 04-25-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #15
(female)

LLLILLL HB User

Nope, I am not going to tell you that you can get HIV through oral sex. You, obviously, know everything there is to know about HIV. Too bad the CDC doesn't know it though. You should really hold classes for them so you can educate them.

"Can I get HIV from oral sex?
Yes, it is possible for either partner to become infected with HIV through performing or receiving oral sex, though it is a less common mode of transmission than other sexual behaviors (anal and vaginal sex). There have been a few cases of HIV transmission from performing oral sex on a person infected with HIV. While no one knows exactly what the degree of risk is, evidence suggests that the risk is less than that of unprotected anal or vaginal sex.

If the person performing oral sex has HIV, blood from their mouth may enter the body of the person receiving oral sex through

the lining of the urethra (the opening at the tip of the penis);
the lining of the vagina or cervix;
the lining of the anus; or
directly into the body through small cuts or open sores.
If the person receiving oral sex has HIV, their blood, semen (***), pre-seminal fluid (pre-***), or vaginal fluid may contain the virus. Cells lining the mouth of the person performing oral sex may allow HIV to enter their body.

The risk of HIV transmission increases

if the person performing oral sex has cuts or sores around or in their mouth or throat;
if the person receiving oral sex ejaculates in the mouth of the person performing oral sex; or
if the person receiving oral sex has another sexually transmitted disease (STD)."
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/transmission.htm

Closed Thread