It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
(male)

Rellimserdna HB User
Indeterminate Western Blot test for HIV! I'm freaking out!

Ran across this site in a frantic search for information about my test results. I recently went to the dr. just to get a full physical done. I'm a former (almost 6 years ago) needle user so I get tested for HIV every 6-12 months. I also engage in semi regular oral sex situations with males and females. But always use a condom if actual intercourse takes place.

My test results came back today saying that the p24 antibody was present but the overall Western Blot test was "indeterminate" My dr ordered an RNA test and those results should come back within a week but wasn't able to tell me much about false positive possibilities or even what it means when only one anti body is detected.

A few hours ago I didn't know anything about ELISA tests or Western Blot tests and my results don't say anything about ELISA.

Also reading about early onset HIV symptoms I read that one can have flulike symptoms. I felt like I had the flu a few weeks ago and many people I know have been sick so I just figured it was that. Now, I can't help thinking the worst.

Any help in explaining the test results, false positives and anything else would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Old 03-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User
Re: Indeterminate Wester Blot test for HIV! I'm freaking out!

false positives are not uncommon with the western blot test
for that reason you shouldn't be freaking out quite yet.
the test is made that if thier is any doubt with it
you will get that result.
you cannot diagnose an infection from your symptoms
so don't take how you are feeling as any sign either way.

from what you have said you should also hold on to the fact
you have practiced safe sex,so if that is the case
you should come out ok with your next test.

Last edited by smiteler; 03-10-2011 at 11:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellimserdna View Post
I'm a former (almost 6 years ago) needle user so I get tested for HIV every 6-12 months.
You only needed an HIV test 3 months after you last used- it would not show up later. But since you are sexually active with both women and men it's still probably not a bad idea.

Quote:
I also engage in semi regular oral sex situations with males and females. But always use a condom if actual intercourse takes place.
This would not put you at risk for HIV.

Quote:
My test results came back today saying that the p24 antibody was present but the overall Western Blot test was "indeterminate".
Reactive p24 is the most common cause of indeterminate WBs, and most indeterminate WBs resolve negative.

Quote:
A few hours ago I didn't know anything about ELISA tests or Western Blot tests and my results don't say anything about ELISA.
You must have had a positive ELISA or they wouldn't have run a WB. But if everything that you posted in this thread is true (i.e. you have not used since 6 years ago and are not omitting any other risks) and you have had a negative ELISA 3 months or later since you last used, then your test result was a false positive. It shouldn't be long before this is resolved for you but from what you have said I expect it to resolve negative.

Last edited by joggen; 03-10-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
(male)

Rellimserdna HB User

when a western blot test is done does that mean that an ELISA test has already been done?

Old 03-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

Quote:
when a western blot test is done does that mean that an ELISA test has already been done?
yes,
elisa tests are 2 part
the western blot is one of them

Last edited by smiteler; 03-10-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
(male)

Rellimserdna HB User
This helps very much. still pretty nervous about the RNA test results though. I didn't leave anything out though. Not to sound ungrateful or skeptical but what are the credentials of some of the senior posters on this site. I'm definitely grateful for any info but am understandably worried.

Joggen,

thanks very much for your prompt and detailed reply. How is the RNA test read? Also, not to sound like a jerk or anything but I noticed that you are a senior member here and was wondering what sort of experience you have. whether it is personal (you are a patient) or professional (medical professional)

Thanks so Much!!

Last edited by Mod-S4; 03-31-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

nobody here is a medical professional
i have had hiv for 13 years and i'm involved in alot of hiv studies

Old 03-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

Nobody on this forum is a medical professional- I believe we are all self-educated. It's part of this forum's guidelines that everything here is offered as personal opinion, not medical fact.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 03-31-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Joggen,

thanks very much for your prompt and detailed reply. How is the RNA test read
Quantitative PCR- the output is copies/ml. <50 copies/ml is undetectable/negative.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
(female)

pfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB User

I'm not a medical professional, either.

It sounds like you're low risk (having tested negative several times since you stopped using needles and using condoms for intercourse now), but they perform the Western Blot (WB) when the antibody test comes up reactive. So that would mean you had a "reactive" antibody test. That happens due to either 1) a true positive OR 2) a cross-reacting antibody (not HIV or anything to worry about) OR 3) Unknown reasons for false positives. So that's what we hope for in your case, that it was due to a cross reacting antibody or other cause of false positive.

I believe being pregnant and having received recent vaccines are two possible reasons for false positive antibody tests (along with other possible causes.)

Therefore, they ran a confirmatory test (Western Blot) to determine whether the antibody (ELISA) was a false positive, and the WB would be considered positive with 3 bands. You must have had one or two bands, and therefore it was "inconclusive." That's not something to worry about. Many people would have a band or two if given a random WB. Having one or two bands AND a reactive antibody test, however, means either a recent HIV infection (usually less than 3 months) or a you are actually negative, and your next test will show that.

From what I've read, most of time when a person has an inconclusive Western Blot and then they test again after a month or two, they are negative.

Despite what some people believe, I would recommend you use condoms or dental dams when performing oral sex in the future, unless you know for a fact the person is STD free. If you don't believe it's important to do this, let your doctor know you have multiple oral sex partners and ask whether he/she thinks you need to use protection.

I hope you end up negative and wish you well. If you feel too anxious, be sure to ask your doctor for temporary help with that.

Edit: I forgot to mention the condom should be made of latex to protect against HIV. Some other types (materials) don't protect against it. If the condom is past expiration, breaks (which should be obvious), or is not used correctly, it may also not protect.

Last edited by pfe; 03-11-2011 at 07:41 AM.

Closed Thread