It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
(male)

worriedtwice HB User
Fever and chils, hiv?

Hiya;

I had unprotected sex. I experienced faver for 2 days and chills for one night 25 days after exposure, are these sign of hiv?

Old 04-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Fever and chils, hiv?

Hiya. You cannot tell your HIV status by guessing games or symptom speculation.
You can test at 4 weeks with a HIV DUO, or 6 weeks with an antibody test.

Hope that helps

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

guyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB User

Hi worried,

Symptom chasing is not adviced when HIV comes. Reason being HIV symptoms are very identical and similar to large garden varities of viruses.

So only thing which you can do to know your status is to go get tested @ 6 weeks initially by Normal Antibody test. presuming its negative then to cover it with 12/13 weeks test which is considered conclusive.

But as Apollo adviced, if you are very worried as by the looks of your opening post, you can consider taking HIV DUO test @ 4 weeks post exposure which i guess you are already on that landmark, so you can take that test now which can give you 98% indication of your stauts, assuming thats negative then youy will have to confirm it with normal antibody test @ 13 weeks.
Be protected next time! No matter what..as Pleasure is for 5 mins and HIV is forever.

Good Luck!!

Old 04-19-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
(male)

worriedtwice HB User

but could these symptoms be related to hiv?

Old 04-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

guyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by worriedtwice View Post
There really are no specific symptoms to HIV. A test is the only thing that can clear your mind and tell your status.

I suggest that you go for a blood test if it has been at least 4 weeks with HIV DUO (if you cant wait for longer) and at 6 weeks and three months with normal Antibody test.

It is 3 months out of your life when you should not involve yourself in risk activities. For example, make sure to use protection during the waiting time for the test and the results.

P.S.: Other experts will tell you the same thing. So instead of fishing for more answers and googling regarding symptoms woulnot take you anywhere rather it will increase your anxiety and fuel up your worries. So I suggest you should take some time off for testing periods as suggested above as theres nothing much you can do about this sitation.

I wish you the very best and thanks for coming to seek help from here.
Please ask any further questions. We are here for you.

Hope that helps!!

Last edited by guyfromnorth; 04-20-2011 at 12:35 AM.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:26 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Quote:
Hi there,

As you have been advised there are no symptoms that will specifically point towards an HIV infection. The symptoms of HIV are never the same from person to person, some people have no symptoms some have many. The only way to find out your HIV status is to have an HIV test, it cannot be determined by self examination or any other way.

Equally so, listing what you believe to be symptoms of HIV on any HIV forum will not give you the answer you are after. Nobody online, and I mean nobody will ever offer you an online diagnosis, it is impossible. The only thing that can be offered on line is an assessment of your risk, advice on the best test to take for your given circumstances and reassurance.

The reassurance I can give you is that HIV is extremely difficult to transmit from person to person and is actually not that common. You stated you had unprotected sex, could you possibly expand on this and give a few more details, i.e. what type of unprotected sex and with whom ? It would help members to try and assess your risk and offer you further advice.

Regards Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 04-20-2011 at 01:33 AM. Reason: added

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
worriedtwice (04-20-2011)
Old 04-20-2011, 01:52 AM   #7
(male)

worriedtwice HB User

Hi Kevin

It was unprotected vaginal intercourse. She is hiv positive, so risk is exteremly high, this I know.
Test will give answer to the story in 6 weeks and will be conclusive in 3 months time and I should prepare myself for the results whatever they will be.
Symptoms will not diagnose hiv, but they may give a clue.
So the question is: Could 2-day fever and one-night chills be a sign of hiv?
A "yes" reply to the question will not diagnose me hiv positive. A "no" will not rule out the risk of infection.

Thanks and regards.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:24 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Hi there,

The answer is yes and no. Yes because you have had an high risk exposure, no because it could be an everyday common cold. Your fever , cold could have any number of explanations, HIV is certainly one of them but it is not the only one. ARS will occur two to four weeks after an infection, so if you are in this period, it could be. But you are asking me and other members to speculate, which is never done on an HIV forum. Speculation does not determine your HIV status, an HIV test does, which you already know.

Besides is this really how you wish to determine your HIV status, from an internet forum ? An HIV status is determined by an HIV test, not on HIV forums.

Although your risk was high, it does not automatically follow you have contracted HIV. There are cases of people have long term partners whom have be diagnosed with HIV and have not contracted HIV. On the other hand there are cases of people being infected from one night stands. There is no set pattern, the same with symptoms, there is no set pattern. Just because you have cold does not mean it is HIV related. In the same way if you did not have any symptoms it does not mean you have not be infected with HIV.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 04-20-2011 at 02:26 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 03:44 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Hi WT,

As Kev gave you very precise and to the point description and advice,
kindly follow it and do take the appropriate steps. Take each thing one by one.

But i would like to mention further on Symptoms which Possibly infected person MAY or MAY NOT get. they generally happen across 2-4 weeks perion for 1-2 weeks as the virus has enough time to take control of your system thus the symptoms (ARS) is a reaction to the fight against HIV. It may rarely happen before 2 weeks to and can even happen between 4-6 weeks post infection period. Every human is different, said that HIV reacts thus differently to their body.Some may get few symptoms, some may get many symptoms. I wont go in more detila with that symptoms. But all i can say is 2 day fever doesnt sound like ARS to me but still get checked out. ARS doesnt come in bits and pieces and they come in groups and all together thats why it is known as Acute Retroviral Syndrome. ARS fever is generally 101+ (a very high fever). Further to that, People who gets ARS may get MILD symptoms which may go unnoticeable or may get so severe symptoms as they may have to end up in ER. They are quite similar to BAD FLU.
So do you see how much variations are there in the nature of these symptoms and to mention again they are quite similar to almost all viral infections mainly MONO and Glandular Fever which you can get via just kissing a person.
So do you see how ROUND and ROUND they take you.

As you are past 4 weeks now, You can take a HIV DUO Test now to get a very good indication of your status which will ease out your worry to a great extent. Assuming you will get Negative from this one time exposure, kindly dont dwell on the Results but accept them and move on.

Good Luck Buddy!!

Last edited by guyfromnorth; 04-20-2011 at 03:49 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to guyfromnorth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 03:52 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Hi Kevin

It was unprotected vaginal intercourse. She is hiv positive, so risk is exteremly high, this I know.
How can you be so sure? Do you mind telling us?

Old 04-20-2011, 04:27 AM   #11
(male)

worriedtwice HB User

Hi Guy;

She just called me up and said she got her test results! Positive!

Thanks.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:04 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

Quote:
A "yes" reply to the question will not diagnose me hiv positive. A "no" will not rule out the risk of infection.

Thanks and regards.
is it possible?- yes
is it probable? - no

alot of people have sex with hiv positive people
and they don't get infected.
hiv isn't a easy to catch virus as many other virus are.
there is a element of bad luck involved also.

the thing is nobody can diagnose you thru symptoms
they will vary soo much with hiv that they are totally unreliable.
so you should save your freaking out untill after the test is done
when you will know for sure what the real deal is.
good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to smiteler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

Mate!! so sorry to hear that but you should learn from this and take it as a life changing experience.
Now, taking in consideration that HIV is not easy to catch from one time exposure. Also, it is more difficult to ctach from women to man.
so i would suspect you to come out of it OK.
Just go get tested now with HIV DUO test, if it is available in your country. Its a bit expensive test but you will come to know about your stauts. And It can save you from lot of worries either way.

Best of Luck!!

The Following User Says Thank You to guyfromnorth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #14
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Quote:
Hi Kevin

Test will give answer to the story in 6 weeks and will be conclusive in 3 months time and I should prepare myself for the results whatever they will be.
Symptoms will not diagnose hiv, but they may give a clue.

Thanks and regards.
As a rule of thumb, "ARS" will last longer than 2 days, and you would be very ill. What you describe dose not sound like ARS, but the only way you can ever tell you status is by HIV testing. The guessing game is pointless, and as you have described your situation, you do need to test.

So good luck with the testing.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

the one thing i can ask him is only fever and chills?
nothing else???
you didn't feel anything else out of the ordinary
after you had sex with her?

if that is all the symptoms he had
that doesn't sound like ars to me and it
is at least a sign pointing in the direction of that he didn't get infected.

thats about all you can say untill a test
tells the real story

The Following User Says Thank You to smiteler For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread