It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
(male)

ambuj HB User
Again Same Thing

Hi All,

I am married and had a sex with lady on 7th May 2011. My condom broke during the intercourse. When I realized that , I was one min inside her. she was very dry at the begining and may be thats the reason why my condom broked.

I was really scared and asked the lady to do HIV test next day. She did and got her test within one hour of blood donation. The results were negative. This actually releived me little bit but on 4th day of my exposure I was feeling very weak in legs and had a mild sore throat for few hours. She also complained me that there was white discharge flowing from her vagina on the next day of exposure with her.

My question to all members is whether I am infected ? Should I go for HIV test, if so then which one should I go for and after how many days of my exposure.

I am sorry to ask this question, but I couldn't receive any satisfactory answers on web and hence thought of posting question in this forum.

I appreciate your help.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User
Re: Again Same Thing

While nobody on an internet forum can tell you whether or not you are infected, I would say the chance is close to zero since your partner tested negative. While theoretically she could have been in the window period from another exposure when she tested, realistically this is not a concern. However, since you are married I understand why you would want to be maximally safe. You can have a 4th generation test at 4 weeks post exposure followed by an antibody test at 3 months for confirmation. You should expect negative results on your tests.

Also, your symptoms are irrelevant concerning your HIV status, which can only be diagnosed through blood tests.

Last edited by joggen; 05-11-2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: addition

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Hiya, im with joggen on this. I think its very unlikley she has HIV as she use's condoms for sex and that fact she has tested negative as was willing to test in the first place.

To move forward, you will need to test for STD's ( just to be sure ) and test with a DUO at 4 weeks, or a plain antibody test at 6 weeks. I would recommed you dont have unprotected sex with your wife untill your 100% sure about your status.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 05-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
(male)

ambuj HB User

Thank you very much for your response. I visited doctor and he told me to do PCR test on 10th day and said it will be 99.99% accurate. So should I go for that test after 10days.

I had sex with this lady year ago and "The same thing" happened during that instance. I asked her to do HIV test and it came out to negative in last year too.

The only concern which I am having is may be that Window period ( Last 3 months) if she came across in contacts with someone.

Please advice.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

I suggest that you follow your doctor's advice. While PCR tests do not have official FDA approval to conclusively rule out HIV infection, many doctors consider them to be reliable enough to do so in certain instances. When the odds of infection are vanishingly low to begin with such as in your case, any test that is reasonably accurate is going to be sufficient to rule out infection from a statistical point of view. I suggest that you take the PCR test and discuss with your doctor whether he feels that you would also need a 3 month antibody confirmation test, and follow his advice.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:15 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

guyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambuj View Post
Thank you very much for your response. I visited doctor and he told me to do PCR test on 10th day and said it will be 99.99% accurate. So should I go for that test after 10days. It is correct

I had sex with this lady year ago and "The same thing" happened during that instance. I asked her to do HIV test and it came out to negative in last year too. Then worry over buds

The only concern which I am having is may be that Window period ( Last 3 months) if she came across in contacts with someone.

Please advice.
Transmission from condom breakage is rare but not zero.
Your risk is pretty small but your partner already tested negative.

Buddy, look if you end up being in this vicious circle of symptoms and doubting results then you wont be able to get out of this no matter how many or what ever tests you take.
The best thing is take a HIV DUO test which is a 4th generation test and put it behind and live life.

Cheers!!

Old 05-19-2011, 12:37 AM   #7
(male)

hussn HB Userhussn HB User

First of all, i hope u did not let the girl which u suspected to be HIV+ to donate blood to have a free test.

Second, if that was you ONLY possible exposure in the last 3 months, i would see it is very unlikely u were at risk of HIV exposure after the girl negative test. she should be in her window period to infect you which is a very low probability.

If that was not you sole exposure in the last three months, then the probability would be a bit higher.

In all cases, you can start testing at 14 days by RNA PCR test, it will not be conclusive but it will give you an indication. and after at 28 days a DUO test, then a conclusive test at 84 days (3 months).

You should also have a full STD check and not only HIV, including Hep B and C.

During that period you must avoid unprotected intercourse with your wife.

Relax, its gna be fine

Closed Thread