It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
(male)

thereal99 HB User
Looking for 4th Generation test

Hello, I am from Canada and my countries P24 testing doesn't give me results until up to 2 weeks. I am looking for a private clinic anywhere in the states that does anonymous 4th generation (Duo Ag/Ab) Testing with same day results.

Please advise I am looking to fly out anywhere as soon as possible.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User
Re: Looking for 4th Generation test

Inverness Determine is a 4th generation rapid test but I have no idea of where it is approved. However I think you really should save your money and see a therapist. The current level of evidence should already be enough to calm you down; the fact that it isn't suggests a mental health issue.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
(male)

thereal99 HB User

Sorry man, I know what you mean I feel that I am loosing it too.. and in my line of work in a high pressure, high aggression, high stress all day in the work environment and that had never made me flinch. But this, damn brother this has me paralized.

I found a Labcorp testing facility that is a 2 hr drive from where I am and it will be able to administer an HIV-1 RNA by PCR test for a few hundred dollars. That will give me 100% accurate test results at my 5 week stage brother?

Positives: The female got tested in the Caribbean (not sure what generation of a test) day 2 after the exposure and day 26 after the exposure. I got a negative 3rd generation Rapid POC at my 28 day marker. No severe fever, no severe sore throat, no severe body rash. The bumps that I have been having on my chest and back I have been able to pop like pimples, even the strange ones on my chest when squeezed I get liquid out of them so I'm hoping they are not ARS type rashes.

Negatives: My sexual encounter happened in an HIV prevelent area of the world, I was having aggressive sex from behind and I am un-circumsized.. I didn't know how long I was exposed for, but no longer than 5 mins. Had all types of strange symptoms, severe kink in the neck at 10 days with a mild sore throat, loss of appetite at 2 weeks, 3 nights of night sweats at 3 weeks, strange pimple like bumps on my upper chest area at 3.5 weeks and pimple like bumps on my trunk (not more than I have seen before), right armpit pain and diarrhea from 3.5 - 4.5 weeks.

So one last thing I have to ask you my friend, you seem so damn confident that I didn't get infected.. with the above information how are all you guys so confident that I didn't get infected, is it really that hard to get HIV that you guys can be this confident to diagnose me as crazy (which don't get me wrong I do totally agree with you right now as I am going insane) as opposed to maybe have contracted something?

Thanks guys your all good people.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereal99 View Post
I found a Labcorp testing facility that is a 2 hr drive from where I am and it will be able to administer an HIV-1 RNA by PCR test for a few hundred dollars. That will give me 100% accurate test results at my 5 week stage brother?
The accuracy of RNA tests isn't well studied but it's probably in the high 90's. The tests are approved for early detection (within the first few weeks) and need to be followed up with antibody tests for confirmation. You are reaching the point when the accuracy of an RNA test and an antibody test are probably similar. I personally think that this is a complete waste of money at this point.

Quote:
Positives: The female got tested in the Caribbean (not sure what generation of a test) day 2 after the exposure and day 26 after the exposure. I got a negative 3rd generation Rapid POC at my 28 day marker. No severe fever, no severe sore throat, no severe body rash. The bumps that I have been having on my chest and back I have been able to pop like pimples, even the strange ones on my chest when squeezed I get liquid out of them so I'm hoping they are not ARS type rashes.

Negatives: My sexual encounter happened in an HIV prevelent area of the world, I was having aggressive sex from behind and I am un-circumsized.. I didn't know how long I was exposed for, but no longer than 5 mins. Had all types of strange symptoms, severe kink in the neck at 10 days with a mild sore throat, loss of appetite at 2 weeks, 3 nights of night sweats at 3 weeks, strange pimple like bumps on my upper chest area at 3.5 weeks and pimple like bumps on my trunk (not more than I have seen before), right armpit pain and diarrhea from 3.5 - 4.5 weeks.
The prevalence of HIV is essentially moot because your partner tested negative. And your symptoms don't even remotely resemble ARS (the 'triad' of symptoms (in bold) that you did not experience). I think your anxiety is making you notice things that you would normally ignore. It's obvious that your focus on your body as some sort of oracle for your HIV status is confusing you. HIV doesn't work that way- there are no telltale signs or symptoms associated with HIV infection.

Quote:
So one last thing I have to ask you my friend, you seem so damn confident that I didn't get infected.. with the above information how are all you guys so confident that I didn't get infected, is it really that hard to get HIV that you guys can be this confident to diagnose me as crazy (which don't get me wrong I do totally agree with you right now as I am going insane) as opposed to maybe have contracted something.
It's because it's statistically improbable with the combination of negative tests between yourself and your partner- already explained in my earlier posts.

Last edited by joggen; 05-17-2011 at 01:49 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to joggen:
thereal99 (05-17-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to joggen For This Useful Post:
thereal99 (05-17-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Five weeks is probably around 95+%, 6 weeks is 99%, 8 weeks is 100% with 3rd generation testing.

The RNA test is not a waste of money if you believe the results. I hope that you do. I've seen doctors such as Dr. Hook rule out HIV infection with a combination of a negative RNA test and a negative antibody test, even if the antibody test is before 6 weeks and as early as 4 weeks. In other words, these doctors would consider the combination to be 100%. So at least that's something you can hang your hat on when your test results come back.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
(male)

thereal99 HB User

Ok great, that is great news.. I'm not going to lie even though I'm looking forward to tomorrow I'm pretty nervous for this test.

Are there any stats available for a negative 4 week antibody?

And is there any reasoning for a legitimately healthy 22 year old male to be in that 5% bracket that wouldn't have detectable antibodies by 5 weeks?

Wish me luck, thanks for your support I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:44 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

guyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB User

Quote:
Ok great, that is great news.. I'm not going to lie even though I'm looking forward to tomorrow I'm pretty nervous for this test.

Are there any stats available for a negative 4 week antibody?

And is there any reasoning for a legitimately healthy 22 year old male to be in that 5% bracket that wouldn't have detectable antibodies by 5 weeks?

Wish me luck, thanks for your support I'll let you know how it goes.
Buddy, As you know its very hard rather impossible to speculate via Symptoms or Exposure, it is equally hard to speculate on the Stats of accuracy but all i can say is you should be coming out of this ok.
Looking at your exposure of broken condom which reduces the risk of 1-1000 rate of infection to 0.03% to a known Infected person so there are your stats i guess. But in your case it goes even lower as you dont know that your partner is HIV Positive or not and with aall possiblities she is not and her test proves it.
I would say you would be more likely to hit by a Lightening than getting your results changed from negative to positive.
Hope that helps!!

Closed Thread