It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
(male)

embarressedman HB Userembarressedman HB User
What should I do

Hi Guys This is long but I found a lot of information interesting and would like to get others opinions on my personal risk with what I did and also of the information that I have collected.
I thank you in advance for any information you can give.

I am a white 28 year old male Living in Australia. I messed up really bad 5 days ago with a women where I got drunk and had vaginal sex with her unprotected. She originally lived in the UK and became a permanent resident in Australia they have to be screened for HIV before they can do this but I am not to sure how long ago this was so this is kind of just a reassuring thing for myself. She also told me that she had used drugs before but never shared needles she also told me that she had been made to go to rehab by her parents and in rehab she had a test and she was so lucky that she came back negative for everything. Once again I am not to sure how long ago this happened. So here is what happened.

Being so intoxicated I put my penis in her for about 15 seconds I was so soft I pulled it out she gave me oral for a few seconds I then put it back in there for about 15 seconds this time erect pulled it out for about 30 seconds then put it back in for about 10 seconds then realised what the hell I was doing and pulled my pants up and got the hell out of there. We did it at her friends house and I have no idea where this girl lives so I can't ask her if she has any infections.

I went for HIV and hep test and STD Yesterday and I got the results back today I only did this so If I was positive I new that it was not from her and something else I have done in the past. But they came up negative so the only way i may become positive is through this one event seeing I have not been with anyone else for 5 and a half months and besides I know that persons history and there is no way she is HIV+. I have been freaking out so bad and really just feel like I have ruined my life with this one stupid act.

What do you think my chances of contracting HIV are?
Should I get another test in 6 weeks and then 12 weeks?

I would like to add here before you read this. In Australia when there is a new infection by law all the information must go to the Australian aids foundation and this is what they have collected so far since the first known case.
After speaking to the local sexual health clinic that there is a very low rate of heterosexual transmission in Australia. The main reason for the majority of infections (depending on what year you take into account) is anywhere from 65% to 85% from male to male contact. In NSW where I live there is a population of 3 million women and in that there are only 999 cases of women infected with HIV and AIDS up until 2009. So lets say that there are 1000 women with HIV/AIDS out of the 3 million women that live in my state and majority of them live in our capital city not where I live. I really have a low chance of becoming infected. She also told me that the rate of infection from exposure is 1/1000 in Australia for heterosexual males. I would have to be so unlucky to become infected so they would not give me pep to prevent it due to the low risk and also due to the way that we had sex and how quick it was she said that there would be very little chance of infection the penis will only be infected while in the vagina because HIV is such a weak virus it can not live outside the body for long and becomes weaker by the minute.
Ok here is the thing about how long I was inside the vagina she said that contraction depends greatly on the viral load and this means the penis has to be exposed to a large amount of the virus to become infected she continued to tell me due to this only being inside the vagina for such a short period would mean less of the virus being transmitted to the penis from the vagina. If the penis is inside the vagina for a larger amount of time there is more of a chance that the virus can penetrate the cells once you take it out the virus weakens with every second that it is out and therefore can not infect the cells.
Please tell me what you think about this is there any evidence of this and do you think that it is logical to say that very short periods in the vagina would make the risk less.

Funny thing was this was not enough to convince me so I called the HIV/AIDS hottline and he said exactly the same thing and told me I would have more chance of being hit by a bus.

I think that there is much less a chance of transmission of aids in purely heterosexual males in Australia I do not know what the rate is in other country's but I wonder why this is. Even needle sharing only contributes to 2.3% of entire amount of people infected in Australia that is only 670 people that are HIV+ due to IV drug use. Where is the epidemic that has been tossed around I always thought that if you had sex with someone that had HIV you became HIV+ no ifs about it.

Please tell me what you think about this as I am so confused if these numbers are correct this means that my chance of infection is so low that I should not worry about it as much as I have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: What should I do

Hiya and welcome to the forums.

Well you have more than likely read hundreds of posts on this site and others and you will see me write what i often do.

In term of testing, a HIV DUO at 4 weeks or a Plain antibody test at 6 weeks will be 99% conclusive. You can also test for STD's at the same time ( just to have a clean bill of health )

You can then test at 13 weeks for no other reason than its the CDC window period, although if your negative as the above then i wouldnt test again buts thats me.

Its really unlikley she had HIV, as you know its still a low infection rate in pommy and Aussie lands. The chances of getting HIV in this brief interaction again is very low indeed.

Overall, i wouldnt be to concerned at all, but just test for peace of mind.

Hope that helps?

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Last edited by Apollo123; 05-25-2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: typo

Old 05-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo123 View Post
Hiya and welcome to the forums.

Well you have more than likely read hundreds of posts on this site and others and you will see me write what i often do.

In term of testing, a HIV DUO at 4 weeks or a Plain antibody test at 6 weeks will be 99% conclusive. You can also test for STD's at the same time ( just to have a clean bill of health )

You can then test at 13 weeks for no other reason than its the CDC window period, although if your negative as the above then i wouldnt test again buts thats me.

Its really unlikley she had HIV, as you know its still a low infection rate in pommy and Aussie lands. The chances of getting HIV in this brief interaction again is very low indeed.

Overall, i wouldnt be to concerned at all, but just test for peace of mind.

Hope that helps?
Thank you for the welcome

Yes I also read that it is low in pommy land and generally is a problem in the homosexual group. It is so funny how it was been explained to me when in school they said if you have sex with a HIV+ person you will get.

So do you think that the brief sexual session that I had would make it less of a risk to me?
She may or may not be HIV+ I can not say this for sure but in the instant that she is there is a 1/1000 chance of contracting it?

I got the test results back today for most std's just waiting on chlamydia and herpes doctor gave me a full medical though and when looking at my penis said that there are no symptoms and there is no rash,cuts or open wounds on my penis and also said due to me being circumcised there is hardly a chance of contraction of a HIV+ partner. Is this True?

I plan to learn as much as I can about this so if my questions seem a little over the top it is due to me learning. I am pretty positive I am going to come back negative at the 12 week mark but I have made a decision to change my life for the better and in doing so I am going to be visiting this site and helping others. I have also put my name down to volunteer at the local sexual health centre

Old 05-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by embarressedman View Post
Thank you for the welcome

Yes I also read that it is low in pommy land and generally is a problem in the homosexual group. That is generally the case. It is so funny how it was been explained to me when in school they said if you have sex with a HIV+ person you will get. Yes a complete misconception from many goverments. Its certainly not the case

So do you think that the brief sexual session that I had would make it less of a risk to me? Yes. HIV is a fradgile virus, and to replicate it needs certain enviroments. It cannot live outside the body for long, so you pulling in and out certainly would not have encouraged the transmission.
She may or may not be HIV+ I can not say this for sure but in the instant that she is there is a 1/1000 chance of contracting it? That figure is used a lot, but experts say its a lot higher. One fact that may help, is its a dam site harder for women to give HIV than men.

I got the test results back today for most std's just waiting on chlamydia and herpes doctor gave me a full medical though and when looking at my penis said that there are no symptoms and there is no rash,cuts or open wounds on my penis and also said due to me being circumcised there is hardly a chance of contraction of a HIV+ partner. Is this True? Well it reduces the risk some what yes.

I plan to learn as much as I can about this so if my questions seem a little over the top it is due to me learning. No problem,I am pretty positive I am going to come back negative at the 12 week Agreed, but i would test sooner just so your know your status. Saves any worry. mark but I have made a decision to change my life for the better and in doing so I am going to be visiting this site and helping others. I have also put my name down to volunteer at the local sexual health centre Im sure many will beniefit from your help, but its also a great place to learn about HIV and STD's.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 05-26-2011, 01:34 AM   #5
(male)

Thanks apollo,
So honestly what do you think my chances are of having HIV+?

I can tell you this I am not really searching any symptoms other than fever and sore throat. I did however have a sore tong and thought maybe I had thrush but think I burnt my tong on a hot coffee lol.

So this one is new to me that it is harder for a female to give a male HIV. I just did a google search on the subject and after reading a bit some experts are saying that it is near impossible to zero risk. Others are saying that there is no difference. There seems to be a lot of misconception with this from what I have read there is definitely many valid reasons why it is harder male to receive HIV from a female. This is where I think I got the 1/1000 from it states in the column on the graph that it is female to male ratio for transmission.
Could this be the same reason that there is a 60% less risk in circumcised men. They also say that circumcision makes no difference whatsoever. There is so much information out there that I like not to read what people think I like to look at the silence behind each theory. When UNAIDS said that it has been proven beyond reasonable doubt that it will protect against 60% of HIV infections. I think this in itself says that people like to make there own theories and like to listen to government and social groups such as the anti circumcision groups.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:30 AM   #6
(male)

hussn HB Userhussn HB User

WHen you dealing with a risk, you consider two things probability and impact, since the HIV impact is severe we cannot rule out the risk of exposure based on the low probability. Chances are low, but remember it is a russian roulette.

Do not worry about symptoms now it is still 5 days, so anything you are having now is certainely not related to HIV whatsoever. ARS symptoms will start the earliest by day 10 post the exposure, the time frame of these symptoms is 2-6 weeks post exposure.

The earliest reliable test you can do is a DUO at 28 days with 99% accuracy at this time for HIV-1, which is increased to 99.89% at 6 weeks. If you want to take earlier tests, you can take RNA PCR starting from day 10 however that will not rule out the possibility of the infection and it will take a week to get your result back and it is expensive.

My advice, take a test at the 4 weeks mark, and move on

Old 05-26-2011, 02:37 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

guyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB Userguyfromnorth HB User

Quote:
Thanks apollo,
So honestly what do you think my chances are of having HIV+? From Very slim to None.

So this one is new to me that it is harder for a female to give a male HIV.
It is. Imagine it graphically, you are going in her and not the other way and if you ejaculate and the Sperms will be able to infect her first if you are positive but thats not the case, the case is you are worried about getting infected from her (means you are ssuming that she is positive) even if she is, i would say your chances are 1-1000 exposures of infections (If and only if she is HIV+) which i doubt.

I just did a google search on the subject and after reading a bit some experts are saying that it is near impossible to zero risk. Others are saying that there is no difference. There seems to be a lot of misconception with this from what I have read there is definitely many valid reasons why it is harder male to receive HIV from a female. This is where I think I got the 1/1000 from it states in the column on the graph that it is female to male ratio for transmission. Internet is never a good tool to diagnose or speculate your risk as there is lot of wrong information and some bit of right information there. (I have bolded which is medically proven fact)
Buddy, all in all, your risk is very slim of catching HIV as:
1) you were the insertive partner in VAGINAL sex.
2) you dont know if she is HIV + or not. (Most important)

So as apollo said, why dont you get tested at 4 weeks mark with HIV DUO test. which is widely available in Australia. It will test you for HIV 1/2 Antibody as well along with Virus itself.
If any one thing is present it shall give you positive.
But i doubt.

Also, next time be guarded when you go out for flings like that as there are other things which you can catch more easily than HIV itself.

Stay safe and good luck!!

Old 05-26-2011, 05:45 AM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Thanks apollo,
So honestly what do you think my chances are of having HIV+?

I can tell you this I am not really searching any symptoms other than fever and sore throat. I did however have a sore tong and thought maybe I had thrush but think I burnt my tong on a hot coffee lol.

So this one is new to me that it is harder for a female to give a male HIV. I just did a google search on the subject and after reading a bit some experts are saying that it is near impossible to zero risk. Others are saying that there is no difference. There seems to be a lot of misconception with this from what I have read there is definitely many valid reasons why it is harder male to receive HIV from a female. This is where I think I got the 1/1000 from it states in the column on the graph that it is female to male ratio for transmission.
Could this be the same reason that there is a 60% less risk in circumcised men. They also say that circumcision makes no difference whatsoever. There is so much information out there that I like not to read what people think I like to look at the silence behind each theory. When UNAIDS said that it has been proven beyond reasonable doubt that it will protect against 60% of HIV infections. I think this in itself says that people like to make there own theories and like to listen to government and social groups such as the anti circumcision groups.

Really, well put it this way. I was single for many years, cant say i used protection and im HIV negative. So from this you being HIV +, so low i wouldnt worry about it. If it were me i probley wouldnt have even tested.
The correct advise of course is for you to test. Just test with a DUO at 4 weeks, get you negtaive and rubber up the future.
Oh stop looking on the net, you will wish you hadnt when you see a post that freaks you out !!

Old 05-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User

From your description of your partner it sounds like it would be highly improbable if she were HIV positive in the first place. I agree with everything that has been said to you- this isn't something that you should be worrying about. Expect negative results on your tests.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

it would be highly unlikely for you
to get infected from a brief exposure inside a vagina...

if you understood the main way people get infected by hiv
you would understand as to the reason why.

most infections happen inside a body and they happen
most of the time from a blood to blood transfer.
blood is where hiv likes to live and it is the most infectious fluid in the body.
the transfer will happen from the friction of unprotected sex
thru microscopic tears in the skin.
the skin gets opened up and the blood finds a path.
increased friction is why unprotected anal sex the greatest risk.

so you had a brief exposure from someone
you have no clue as to what thier status is.
expect to test negative.
ps.some of what you are reading is false
i got hiv from my ex gf
so you can get it from a woman...

Old 05-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #11
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiteler View Post
it would be highly unlikely for you
to get infected from a brief exposure inside a vagina...

if you understood the main way people get infected by hiv
you would understand as to the reason why.

most infections happen inside a body and they happen
most of the time from a blood to blood transfer.
blood is where hiv likes to live and it is the most infectious fluid in the body.
the transfer will happen from the friction of unprotected sex
thru microscopic tears in the skin.
the skin gets opened up and the blood finds a path.
increased friction is why unprotected anal sex the greatest risk.

so you had a brief exposure from someone
you have no clue as to what thier status is.
expect to test negative.
ps.some of what you are reading is false
i got hiv from my ex gf
so you can get it from a woman...

This does not leave me with much confidence there is so many things pointing toward a male being very imune to infection from a female. Can I ask did you have sex multiple times with your ex gf? Sorry if this to personal.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #12
(male)

Thank you all for the information I would have had no idea about the HIV duo test. My last test that was done was only a few days after possible exposure and I am glad I did it to make sure if I did become infected now I know anyone that I had sex with before is safe.

On my test it says HIV 1 and 2 ab/ag. I take it this test is the DUO testing for antibodies and antigen?

So going of what has been said here if I take the test at 28 days from possible exposure it will be 99% accurate to both HIV1 and 2 or just HIV1?

Here is another question and a very important one I hope that can be answered with a decent amount of response because there seems to be still a lot of people out there saying that the window period for HIV 1 and 2 in a ab/ag test is 12 weeks and even 24 weeks. People here are saying 28 days for 99% accurate test why would there be no other site that I can find saying 28 days?

Old 05-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #13
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joggen View Post
From your description of your partner it sounds like it would be highly improbable if she were HIV positive in the first place. I agree with everything that has been said to you- this isn't something that you should be worrying about. Expect negative results on your tests.
All the maths in the world and all the science telling me that there is a very small risk of her having HIV does not stop me thinking that she could. I have a really bad problem with OCD and once I get fixated on a idea I have a very hard time to get it out of my head. So at the moment I am feeling like I am HIV+ with no test to back this up no symptoms what so ever and personally do not think I will have any. How stupid is that. This is the way the mind works a Idea is planted there and it is hard to remove especially when there is OCD involved.
I am so f#&*ed up at the moment the more you dig into this information the harder it is to seperate the truth from fiction.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

Quote:
This does not leave me with much confidence there is so many things pointing toward a male being very imune to infection from a female. Can I ask did you have sex multiple times with your ex gf? Sorry if this to personal.
i was with my ex gf for over a year and had plenty of protected sex and
unprotected oral..
it was the first time that i went UNPROTECTED
and i had sex more then one time that night.

hiv isn't as easy to get as you are fearing

Old 05-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #15
(male)

For crying out loud just looked at the dates and I can get the test done on the 27th day or on the 30th day do you think I can get the test on the 27th day and still be confident that it will be accurate?

Closed Thread