It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
(male)

tuncay HB User
the possibilities of..

What's the possibility of having unprotected sex with someone with HIV, but not catching HIV? Anyone know? I'm not talking on my behalf, I was just curious

Old 07-24-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User
Re: the possibilities of..

There is no firm data on this. Some medical experts will quote the odds of being infected with HIV from a one off exposure with somebody who as HIV at around about 1000 to 1. Given this, though, it is very difficult to calculate the real odds as it is known for many people to have long term relationships with people who have HIV, have unprotected sex many times and never get infected. But on the other hand people do get infected from one night stands.

The golden rule is actually very simple, never have unprotected sex with anybody unless you know for certain what their status is. If you or somebody you know has broken this rule, then it is yours or their interest to be tested for HIV.

Kevin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
(male)

tuncay HB User

1000-1? I think it's a lot more common than that if you look at the figures of people who have HIV in the world.

The reason I am asking is because I've had two one night stands in the past 3 years. They both were unprotected. The first one night stand was about 3 years ago. The second was about 2 months ago.
The person I had one night stand with 2 months ago tested negative for HIV recently.
I haven't had any symptoms in the last 3 years, and being infected with HIV hasn't even corssed my mind...however this past month I have been dieting and exercising more and have lost 8lbs in 2 weeks and have had diarhea that lasts for more than a week but only when i drink herbal tea which i have only recently started drinking.
I just want to know if i have a high risk of being infected or not? thanks

Old 07-25-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Quote:
1000-1? I think it's a lot more common than that if you look at the figures of people who have HIV in the world.
I said there was NO firm data, these are odds from doctors forums.

Whether you accept the odds or not is actually not that relevant because an HIV status is never determined by odds or statistics. As I have already pointed out people do get HIV from one night stands. Since you have had two episodes of unprotected sex (presumably anal and / or vaginal) you are at risk of an HIV infection.

Clearly the second episode is not an issue because the lady in question as tested negative. The first episode is important because you may have been exposed to HIV through this. You should have an HIV test to determine your status. You will not be offered an online diagnosis nor will anybody ever guess your HIV status for you online. Your HIV status is determining one way and one way only, an HIV test, you should have one. Most likely it will be negative but you have had a possible risk.

Kevin

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 07-25-2011 at 01:24 AM. Reason: typos

Old 07-25-2011, 01:22 AM   #5
(male)

tuncay HB User

I suppose i'm just trying to ease my mind that's all, i probably will get tested but i just wanted to know that my chances are slim first because i'm like this with everything, i panic about everything and worry too much. I'm also circumsized by the way, i heard that reduces the risk of being infected.

Thanks a lot for your answers

Old 07-25-2011, 01:34 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Yes studies have shown that circumcision reduces the risk of being infected. But this does not mean you have not been at risk, it means your risk is slightly lower. Buddy, a risk is a risk, no matter how you try to cut it. If you have had unprotected sex with somebody and are now uncertain of your HIV status, please go and have an HIV test.

Kevin

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
tuncay (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncay View Post
I suppose i'm just trying to ease my mind that's all, i probably will get tested but i just wanted to know that my chances are slim first because i'm like this with everything, i panic about everything and worry too much. I'm also circumsized by the way, i heard that reduces the risk of being infected.

Thanks a lot for your answers

your chances are very slim, but it can happen.
i got infected by a ex gf i was with for over a year.
when i got infected,i got really sick and got many symptoms and was not tested for hiv immediately, because i was not considered to be in any high risk group.
i was a straight wm who did not use drugs nor did i sleep around.
they told me the odds of me being infected were astronomical
and that is why hiv was not what they were focused on.
all of these things you are thinking about
really tells you nothing,only testing will give you your answer
good luck

Old 07-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #8
(male)

tuncay HB User

Sorry to hear that, how are you getting on with things right now? Hope you're ok. Even though it is unlikely, it can happen to anyone...There's one thing though I don't understand, apparently over 1 million people in USA have HIV...That's a massive figure, even if the USA have a population of over 300 million

Old 07-26-2011, 05:30 AM   #9
(male)

waywardson HB Userwaywardson HB Userwaywardson HB Userwaywardson HB User

From research I have done and doctors I have talked to it is fairly rare to pass HIV female to male on one encounter if she is positive. It is passed easier to women from men. The most conclusive stats I seen are about 1 in 400 chance. But like everyone else has said if there was a risk there is always a chance. First of the likehood of the person even being infected is increadibly low. I have been in your position of worry...and you start to assume that the person you had unprotected sex with has HIV. I put myself through a scare 6 yrs ago and after testing negative vowed to never put myself through that stress again. Well receantly on vacation from military I went got wild and picked a young college girl from a bar and had unprotected sex with her. Thing was she said she was on coke...which scares me about other potential drugs that use needles. It was increadibly stupid and why for the most part I have stoped drinking...I gave myself a free pass on this vacation. Well I wish you the best and to put your mind at ease I would so the possibility is very low but still possible. Get tested and good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to waywardson For This Useful Post:
tuncay (07-26-2011)
Old 07-26-2011, 06:54 AM   #10
(male)

tuncay HB User

Well, you learn from your mistakes i suppose...everybody makes mistakes...i will now never have unprotected sex again with someone i don't know very well, it's not worth the stress afterwards for a one night fling! did you get any symptoms?

Closed Thread