It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
(male)

wharper HB User
HIV DNA test??

Thank you Kevin, smiteler (i notice that you live in jersey so we are actually close ) and others for at least giving me some relief.

I came across a test while doing my research and they provide a complete '10 panel' package which they claim no other facility/site provides -

- Chlamydia
- Gonorrhea
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- Herpes I
- Herpes II
- HIV I
- HIV II
- Syphilis

I called them up and confirmed that 4 week is good. So I am just going to calm myself down and wait for 4 weeks. If I come out negative I swear to god never have intercourse with people I don't know...

What's interesting is that they also have this 'HIV DNA' test priced at $175 which I can take in a week. Should I do it and make sure at least I don't have to worry about the life/death matter (get the worst enemy out of my head)? Or is the test not 100% accurate?

Please help me decide - I'd still go for the complete thing even if I take this DNA thing.

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited by moderator2; 07-25-2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

Old 07-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User
Re: HIV DNA test??

Please do not have a viral load test. These tests are used to monitor HIV positive patients, are very expensive and are super sensitive. So sensitive that they do, at times, return false positives (they tell you are positive when you are not). Nor are they approved for HIV diagnostics, only an antibody test is approved for this.

Buddy you were only advised to test out at four weeks for ease of mind. Have an antibody test, collect your negative result and move on with your life.

Kevin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

The HIV DNA test is not a good test to take. It "can" have false positives and is now an older test for testing for the HIV virus. The RNA test is used as a dyanostic tool but not to confirm your HIV status. Only Antibody tests do that in conclusive way.
I would follow kevins advise above

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 07-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
(male)

capehatteras HB Usercapehatteras HB Usercapehatteras HB Usercapehatteras HB User

Buddy,

Both previous post are correct. Here are a few things to know:

Ghon/Chlam- Have roughly a 2-5 day window period
Hep a/b/c- 30-90 days
Syh- Roughly 20 days but could be up to 3 months
HIV average 2-3 weeks but poss up to 6 months

I had 2 DNA PCR tests after my encounter and both were neg. When I asked my ID doc for them he warned me that if they come back positive which they have about a 6-9% false pos rate I woudl live in worse fear for the next 180 days. Granted both of mine came back neg which is great news.

Here is the deal. With modern tests you can get a good idea of your status at 4-6 weeks. I woudl suggest to test at 3 months? Do you know this person is infected?

Until 90 days arrives don't get stuck in the test everry 2-3 week patern. I did it and lost 6 months of my life....

Closed Thread