It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
(male)

VanGelder HB User
Reactive test first: Indeterminate Western Blot

I'm new here, please help me.

My doctor tells me yesterday that I have tested reactive on my HIV test. I'm not sure what that test was, but I know it was a blood drawing (August 25th) that he took two weeks ago. Then he said the lab followed up with Western Blot because of the Reactive result and that I was Indeterminate on that second test. When I say that I emotionally fell apart, I am not kidding.

I have had tests over the years (20 years). Maybe two a year and have had all of them negative. As late as last June, I had a Rapid (saliva) test and a viral test done. The rapid was negative in 20 minutes, the viral came back negative in 2 weeks. It had been 2 months since my last sexual contact (April) and then it was just oral (no condom, and no ejaculation in the mouth) with another man. From June to August, it was only oral (same as before) and (one partner) anal with condoms, no brakes (topped, and bottomed).

I didn't think my behavior was high risk at all and was very surprised at my Reactive/Indeterminate results. I rushed to the health center and got two rapid test (one saliva based, and the other blood based). Both tests were finished in about 30 minutes. Both were negative. They took more blood to do a viral test, but said it would be two weeks before those results were available. The two negative results on the Rapid tests were very encouraging, but I don't feel secure that I'm in the clear. The health care worker said that she would bet a month's salary that I was negative. I sure hope she is right.

I don't know if this is a factor, but my doctor recently said that my Lyme tests were not positive, but that those tests show I was exposed to Lyme in the past. Could that have screwed up the Western Blot results making them Indeterminate?

I would greatly appreciate any facts or opinions that anyone could offer. I am confused, scared and angry (mostly angry). I don't need comforting, just the facts. Please help. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User
Re: Reactive test first: Indeterminate Western Blot

i agree with your health worker
it is not uncommon to get those results
and end up negative in the end

it could of come from a few reasons
mishandling of your sample,you might have a different virus at that time.
and it is also known to happen in a small percent of people of italian decent.
so keep the faith
you will be ok.
good luck

Old 09-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
(male)

VanGelder HB User

Thank you for taking the time.

I really felt that two different tests giving negative results yesterday (two weeks after he Reactive and Indeterminate) would put me in the clear. My doctor doesn't seem to be that sure though. If the virus was just started to get rolling on Aug 25th, then by yesterday (Sep 09) it should have been more prevalent. I'm just confused.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

i know it is confusing and scary
especially if you have never heard of it before.
he is just doing his due dillagence and erring on the side of caution thats all.
do not read into it,it is his job to be sure.
you will be fine

Closed Thread