It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
(male)

stupidman678 HB User
Test after 3 weeks

Hi there,

I thought Id start a separate thread to my original as I thought this might be useful to people beyond my specific situation.

I am looking to get tested following an encounter I had three weeks ago. I received a lot of advice (and support) from posters on this board, who confirmed that I was at very low - to - no risk. That said, I want to test just for peace of mind.

So, I am going tomorrow to a Maryland County health clinic that offers free testing first thing every Monday morning. I have no idea what kind of HIV test will be provided, but I'm assuming it's a rapid test, rather than a 4th gen duo. I know that the duo can offer 80-90% accuracy after three weeks, but I was wondering how reliable the results of a rapid test are likely to be this early. Obviously if it's positive then it is unlikely to change, but how reliable would a negative result be at this stage?

Many thanks for your help

Old 10-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Test after 3 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidman678 View Post
Hi there,

I thought Id start a separate thread to my original as I thought this might be useful to people beyond my specific situation.

I am looking to get tested following an encounter I had three weeks ago. I received a lot of advice (and support) from posters on this board, who confirmed that I was at very low - to - no risk. Incorrect. We said its NO risk as you used a condom and condoms are 100% safe in the protection of HIV - factThat said, I want to test just for peace of mind.

So, I am going tomorrow to a Maryland County health clinic that offers free testing first thing every Monday morning. I have no idea what kind of HIV test will be provided, but I'm assuming it's a rapid test, rather than a 4th gen duo. I know that the duo can offer 80-90% accuracy after three weeks, but I was wondering how reliable the results of a rapid test are likely to be this early. They would be pointless really, to soon for that test.Obviously if it's positive Then you already had HIV or its a false positive then it is unlikely to change, but how reliable would a negative result be at this stage? Its pointless testing as for 1, you do not need to test, 2 its way to soon anyway.

Many thanks for your help
My last post on your threads, I just dont know how clear No risk and protected sex means to you?
As such, i dont belive we can offer any more help to you, so best of luck.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
(male)

stupidman678 HB User

Well, I went and got an anti-body test, which came back negative, as did all the other STD tests. I got those results yesterday, and then last night I started suffering from flu-like symptoms - I was shivering violently, had a temperature and a headache. These have mostly subsided today, though my skin is still very sensitive and I feel a bit woozy.

My first thought was that this could be symptoms of ARS, but am I likely just symptom chasing? I'm a bit worn down after a stressful month, and the temperature has dropped significantly in the last week.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
(male)

stupidman678 HB User

Last night I had a case of the night sweats - woke up soaking. This morning, a lot of my symptoms have gone (temperature, sensitive skin) so I'm guessing that I just had a 24 hour bug.

Can ARS symptoms come and go that quickly?

Old 10-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Ars dose not act that no. Besides you had no RISK, and im not quite sure what you dotn understand about no risk of HIV?

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 10-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
(male)

stupidman678 HB User

Thanks for the response Apollo123, and my apologies, as I know my posts have been irritating you.

I realize that this is almost certainly just a cold bug with a bad sense of timing, but I had hoped to gain some comfort from my negative result, only for these symptoms to wipe that away.

I know I'm being paranoid and allowing emotion to override reason and logic. I'll try to stop posting my fears.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidman678 View Post
Thanks for the response Apollo123, and my apologies, as I know my posts have been irritating you.

I realize that this is almost certainly just a cold bug with a bad sense of timing, but I had hoped to gain some comfort from my negative result, only for these symptoms to wipe that away.

I know I'm being paranoid and allowing emotion to override reason and logic. I'll try to stop posting my fears.
Hey you dont ok , but i just would like you to stop worrying, we have been worryed like you and know how bad it can be, so i just want you to understand that you have nothing to worry about, about HIV as i know its dam scary ok

The following user gives a hug of support to Apollo123:
stupidman678 (10-26-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
stupidman678 (10-26-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
(male)

stupidman678 HB User

Thanks mate - I know I should have nothing to worry about, and that my negative test is encouraging. Every doctor and forum poster has told me the same thing - very, very low risk, if any at all.

And in a way that is the problem - every time someone says I'll be fine it makes me more worried that I'm the 1 in 10000 chance. I cannot comprehend how I was so stupid to invite all this chaos and uncertainty into my life. I genuinely don't understand.

Having looked through the forums extensively, I'm clearly just one of hundreds of people who made this mistake, people panicking over the slightest possibility of infection, the slightest hint of a symptom. I understand how they feel more than ever now. As for me, this stress simply feels like an additional punishment for my stupidity.

Closed Thread