It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011, 04:01 AM   #1
(male)

Oldfield HB User
unprotected sex with sex worker in thailand

Hi guys.

I'm new to this forum, and I appreciate your help.

Back in early August 2011 I had unprotected sex with a laos sex worker in thailand. I had the HIV antibody test done at 10 weeks (12th Oct). negative. Then i had a PCR DNA test done at the end of October - almost 3 months after exposure - also negative. Now here's the worrying part. I recently found out that this girl was HIV positive (as she has now stopped working).

My question is this. Post exposure. 10 weeks Antibody test and 13 weeks PCR test, both negative. How accurate/reliable are these results?

I plan to get tested again at the end of the year.

Thanks for your help.

oldfield.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User
Re: unprotected sex with sex worker in thailand

those results are very accurate
it is not uncommon for a person to have sex with a hiv infected person
and they will come away unscathed.
get tested again for a piece of mind
but expect negative results to come back when you get them
good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to smiteler For This Useful Post:
Oldfield (11-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2011, 05:15 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

A 12 week/3 months HIV antibody is conclusive. You do not need to test beyond this point. As Smit says it is not uncommon for people to have high risk exposures to HIV and come away from it unscratched. It looks like you dodged the bullet this time mate and should consider yourself very fortunate. Your results are as good as conclusive but you should test out to the appropriate time (12 week/3 months, depending on which country you are in).

Please do not be tempted to keep testing after your final test, it really is conclusive. Accept it and get on with your life. You may read all sorts of rubbish about testing at to six months that is all it is, rubbish. Your final test should be your last test.

Kevin.

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
Oldfield (11-14-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
(male)

Oldfield HB User

Thanks guys. That was encouraging. So are you saying that the negative PCR test done at 3 months is pretty accurate?

O

Old 11-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Yes it is but a PCR test is not approved for HIV diagnostics nor to determine an HIV status. Only an HIV antibody test can do this. Have one now, it will almost certainly be negative and will be 100% conclusive, then forget the whole affair. Like I said you dodged the bullet mate and have been very lucky.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 11-14-2011 at 11:42 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
Oldfield (11-14-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
(male)

Oldfield HB User

Just been for the HIV test. Go back in a few hours for the results. Fingers crossed.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfield View Post
Just been for the HIV test. Go back in a few hours for the results. Fingers crossed.
Fingers crossed, but im expected a negative result following your last 2 results

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 11-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfield View Post
You were all right. Negative. Phew. Thanks everyone for the support.

I read on one of the websites a notice it said "Stop searching, and get tested". I'm a firm believer in this mantra now.

Now back to my other problem..high cholesterol. That's another thread I know.

Thanks again.

O
Well great news buddy.. and thank you for coming back to share, and indeed they are the words we preach lol.

As for the cholestrol ( as i have that myself ) eat well ( ver little red meat ) drink less booze, take some statins and within 6 months you will be fine..
Oh eat loads of veg, fish and rice...

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
Oldfield (11-15-2011)
Old 11-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #9
(male)

Oldfield HB User

Thanks again.

Last edited by Oldfield; 11-15-2011 at 01:50 AM.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:49 AM   #10
(male)

Oldfield HB User

Now I can stop stressing

Last edited by Oldfield; 11-15-2011 at 12:53 AM.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:14 AM   #11
(male)

zPaul HB User

Has any male tested positive after one encounter with a female who is hiv+. I have looked everywhere the last few days looking for this information and can't seem to find any Straight male that has contracted Hiv from one encounter and only having vaginal sex.

Does anyone have details or facts of how many males contract Hiv from Females etc.

I'm Glad to hear your clean i just hope i am to fingers crossed. i have a long wait ahead of me

Old 11-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
(male)

Oldfield HB User

Hi paul

I think the guys on here would need more information, like where are you, who was the girl, was she a sex worker, do you have any cuts or other std's etc.

I think the risk for insertive vaginal sex is about 1 in 2000, and that's even IF she had HIV to begin with.

I wouldn't worry too much (I know it's hard not to) at this point. It seems like a long wait, but you have to just put it out of your mind and try and keep busy until it's time to get tested. The worst thing to do is make things worse by self-diagnosing and searching too much on the internet.

Oh yeah, and play it safe from now on.

good luck, I'm sure you're ok, for a single encounter. Don't drive yourself crazy thinking about it.

Closed Thread